Peta Euthanizes And Dumps Animals In Dumpster

coquina

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3482974

PETA (People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals), collected animals, promised to find homes for them, and instead euthanized them in the back of a van and dumped them in the dumpster belonging to a shopping center.

http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3482974

If anyone here has been donating money to these "people", I hope you'll find a better cause.

I think it is unfortunate that unwanted dogs and cats must be euthanized, but I understand that "we" can't allow them to breed out of control. I have a tremendous problem when the "holier than thou" PETA people collect money from the general public under the guise of treating animals humanely and promising to find homes for them and instead euthanize them in the back of a van and discard them in a dumpster.

Any comments???

Yeah, environmental terrorism is the most comical/pathetic form. In an effort to help our earth, many groups wind up causing more damage. I remember hearing a story about PETA, and their attempt to save seal in alaska. They dressed up as poachers and slaughtered dozens of seals in front of the video camera to promote the "save the seals campaign." (Please note, this story hasn't been sourced or proven.)

I also remember an article about where they broken into a lab to free a bunch of ducks that were being used for research.

Turns out these ducks had been caught because they were carrying a disease, and the research was being done to fight it. The just ended up introducing diseased animals to a previously clean area...

They're morons. Apparently, a while back they vandalized a lab at my school, because animal testing happens here. But they vandalized a *plant* physiology lab. And it said as much on the door.

Mokele

People believed to be representing PETA have been threatening the NSW, Australian director of the RSPCA (Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) in Sydney. He has had to hire body guards, wear body armour and vary his path from home to office. The Australian Federal Police have warned him that animal rights crazies have threatened to harm the director because he will not introduce a ban on live animal exports, mainly sheep and cattle.

The director is fearful he may be killed.

The PETA crowd seem to be over the top.

PETA (People For The Ethical Treatment of Animals), collected animals, promised to find homes for them, and instead euthanized them in the back of a van
No, two workers for PETA did this. That's different. Also the local diretor of PETA said ""PETA has never made a secret of the fact that most of the animals picked up in North Carolina are euthanized."
I remember hearing a story about PETA
I also remember an article about where they broken into a lab......
Apparently' date=' a while back they vandalized a lab at my school[/quote']
People believed[/b'] to be representing PETA
I think you are all smart enough to see my point. Only ecoli said of his example, "Please note, this story hasn't been sourced or proven."

The point with a lot of "animal rights" as opposed to "animal welfare" activists is that people have no right to exploit animals for any reason whatsoever. Having a pet would fall under that category - therefore, a lot of animal rights activists would prefer to see domesticated species like cats and dogs disappear from the earth in order that this type of exploitation stop. It's not inconsistent with PETA's beliefs (as an animal rights organization) that these animals be euthanized as opposed to a life of subjugation at the hands of humans. Then again, most animal rights activists would prefer to sterilize these animals and take care of them for the remainder of their natural lives in a manner different than the usual master/pet relationship.

I'm in no way an animal rights activist - in fact, my job qualifies me as a vivisectionist. However, living in New York, I have a problem with people with dogs that live in tiny apartments only for their owners to take them out and play/walk with them for five minutes in the evening. At least the mice that die at the hands of my research is in the name of "science." Most of these urbanite pet owners just want something fluffy to touch. Get a stuffed animal. And I'm not even touching on the abuse a lot of these "sheltered animals" are going to receive at the hands of humans.

No' date=' two workers for PETA did this. That's different. Also the local diretor of PETA said ""PETA has never made a secret of the fact that most of the animals picked up in North Carolina are euthanized."

I think you are all smart enough to see my point. Only ecoli said of his example, "Please note, this story hasn't been sourced or proven."[/quote']

PETA is headquartered locally, in Norfolk. I may hear more about their activities than others do. In the case of the dumping, dead animals had been dumped in this particular dumpster before, so it was staked out by the police. The PETA employees were caught in the act. The police, vets and animal control people from whom the animals were picked up, and the president of PETA have been on the local news. The police showed mug shots of the people they booked. The vets and animal control officers were told that PETA would find homes for the animals and that they would not be euthanized. The president of PETA did deny knowledge of what was going on.

I have a problem when people lie. When several vets and animal control people all tell the same story, that PETA promised to find homes for the animals, then the animals end up dead in a dumpster - somebody lied. Seems to me it is more likely PETA than the vets.

Granted, the president of PETA claimed no knowledge of the dumping, but as the president of my company, the buck stops with me. This had happened repeatedly. If the president had no knowledge, what did she think happened to the animals that were supposed to have been brought back to headquarters? What about the fact that drugs used for lethal injections are supposed to be strictly controlled? If employees can take them off the property without being discovered, who is to say that their use will be restricted to animals? If the president, or the person in charge who reports to her, did not know that the drugs were missing, PETA's controls over lethal drugs are so lax that their license to have them should be rescinded.

I have to pay $85 everytime I have to have my dumpter emptied. Considering that it is now summer in Virginia, and the temperature is usually in the high 80's, low 90's, and that the dumpster becomes an oven, I assure you, the presense of those dead animals would be obvious within a day, and the dumpster would have to be emptied. It is against the law for anyone to throw dead animals in a dumpster, and they can't be put in the landfill - so the owner of it would have to pay someone to retrieve the rotting carcasses and pay to have them disposed of properly (probably cremated). I would not be surprised if the cost to the dumpster owner wouldn't approach a thousand bucks each time this occurred.

My biggest problem with PETA is that their actions are not backed by logical thinking. They go off half-cocked and cost people and companies money who have nothing to do with the issue. They think any means justifies their end, and they have no problem lying about it. I use the collective "they", because their officers have the responsibility to keep their employees in check.

I think you are all smart enough to see my point. Only ecoli said of his example, "Please note, this story hasn't been sourced or proven."

Allow me to clarify, then. I used "Apparently" because this is not direct, first-hand knowledge. However, I was informed of this by my prof, who was working at this university at the time of the attack, in the context of the part of my initial briefing covering "why PETA loonies are dangerous and we should never, ever ever let anyone with any affiliations to them into our labs." The factuality of this incident is not debatable.

At least the mice that die at the hands of my research is in the name of "science."

You know, the funny thing is that we kill more mice than you probably do (though as food for the lab animals, not as lab animals themselves), yet few people seem to care about our work, because it involves animals that aren't cute and fuzzy.

I love how they hypocritcially claim to be for "animal rights", but what they actually mean is "endotherm rights". I have never once seen them so much as raise a finger to "help" anything that doesn't have warm blood. Let alone invertebrates.

Heh, I almost wish they'd gone for the lab currently next door to us that time. "Ok, let's free all the OHMY****INGGODITSCOLLOSALSPIDERS!!! RUN AWAY!!"

Nothing exposes their hypocracy like a spider the size of a dinner plate, let alone dozens of them.

Most of these urbanite pet owners just want something fluffy to touch. Get a stuffed animal. And I'm not even touching on the abuse a lot of these "sheltered animals" are going to receive at the hands of humans.

Or a hamster or gerbil (or, if they the money and room, a chinchilla). But I agree, too few owners actually care about the quality of life of their pets.

Mokele

I love how they hypocritcially claim to be for "animal rights", but what they actually mean is "endotherm rights".

Too true. The closest they ever got was "don't drop your lobsters in boiling water." This, too, I have a problem with since I have a lot of animal rights friends (who supported this lobster thing) in the city and they all have roach traps. Which would you rather - boiled to death (relatively quick) or died of thirst?

The biggest problem that I have though is that PETA members continue to use modern medicine, whose very basis is on animal models. If you're an animal rights activist who takes something as nonessential as anti-depressants, that's almost the same thing as having a human-skin lampshade, at least by your value system. I know people that won't eat refined sugar because they heard a (wrong) rumor that bone meal is used in the refining process. Yet medicine they have no problem with.

Spiders that eat mice? Please tell me that there are not such things. But yeah, as far as the PETA crazies go, we have to cover our mouse cages to walk the eight feet between the elevator and the lab door because it's public space and somebody might freak.

Spiders that eat mice?

Oh, numerous species of tarantulas eat mice, but the species formerly used in the lab next to ours was the largest spider of all, the Goliath Bird-eating spider. They can take out full-grown mice, birds, even small rats.

And several escaped over the years and made their home in the elevator shafts. Makes for a great annecdote to tell while actually in the elevator with people.

But yeah, as far as the PETA crazies go, we have to cover our mouse cages to walk the eight feet between the elevator and the lab door because it's public space and somebody might freak.

We do too, at least for the snakes. We never bother with the lungfish, since they're so stupid and sedentary they barely qualify as "alive". Except when they're trying to remove your fingers.

Mokele

Check out the vid linked to above it, Alligator vs rat. It's not actually an alligator, though. It's a lizard (hence only distantly related), and it's actually the same species as my lizard.

Though I don't hold with live-feeding unless it's unavoidable (due to the risk of injury to the reptile), I'm almost tempted, just to see Darwin get off his scaley ass and actually *run*.

Mokele

Coquina,

I have a tremendous problem when the "holier than thou" PETA people collect money from the general public under the guise of treating animals humanely and promising to find homes for them and instead euthanize them in the back of a van and discard them in a dumpster.

The fact is, they dont promise to find homes for animals. They arent an animal shelter, they arent an adoption facility, and they are rather open that they euthanize animals.

See PETA's official reply, quoted from the PETA2 Boards:

It is against PETA’s policy to put the bodies of animals in dumpsters, and we are appalled that a member of our staff apparently did that. There is no excuse for that and, despite the fact that she is a caring soul, we have suspended her from work.

PETA has always supported and spoken openly about euthanasia. It is easy to throw stones at those doing the dirty work for society, but euthanasia is a necessary evil until the massive animal overpopulation problem can be solved. We invite anyone who can offer a home to any animal, pay for one or a hundred spay/neuter surgeries, or persuade others not to go to a pet shop or breeder, to please join us in doing these things. In the last year, we have spayed/neutered more than 7,600 dogs and cats, including feral animals, many free of charge and all others at well below our own costs. Support for this program is much needed.

To clarify, we do not run an adoption facility, although we do place animals, approximately 360 in the last year, despite having run out of friends and family members to approach. We are a “shelter of last resort,” taking in and giving a painless death in loving arms to animals who would otherwise have been shot with a .22 or gassed in a windowless metal box, which is what happened in North Carolina before PETA offered free euthanasia services to agencies there. North Carolina has the second highest rate per capita of euthanasia in the country—35 animals killed annually for every 1,000 residents—and most do not die a humane death. Sadly, the shelters we work with have no adoption programs or hours set aside for adoption. At the Bertie County dog shelter, residents were throwing unwanted dogs over an 8-foot-high fence, where they became infected or injured by other sick or aggressive dogs from whom they could not escape. Bertie County also had no facility for cats and used to let them go to breed in the woods and fend for themselves until PETA built a shelter for them this year. PETA has begged for years, through formal proposals and numerous meetings to have the county allow PETA to implement an adoption program as part of a larger picture of sheltering that would also include a spay neuter program, a humane education program, 24/7 emergency services, and rabies clinics.

We try never to take in adoptable animals unless we know we have a home for them—only those who are mange-covered, have parvovirus, are injured, old, unsocialized from life on a chain, or unwanted and for whom there are no good homes available. We also work at the roots, spending more than $240,000 in one North Carolina county alone, to provide shelter in winter for animals left out in the cold, to spay/neuter, to get vet care for animals in dire straits, to send Bertie County’s one animal control officer to professional training, to pay a cleaner to maintain two shelters, and much more.

We have always outspokenly advocated fixing the problems of overpopulation through practical methods. Sadly, those stories don’t get coverage in the media.

We urge you to look closer and do your part to help us help these animals. For information and resources on how to do that, visit http://www.HelpingAnimals.com .

Zyncod,

The point with a lot of "animal rights" as opposed to "animal welfare" activists is that people have no right to exploit animals for any reason whatsoever. Having a pet would fall under that category - therefore, a lot of animal rights activists would prefer to see domesticated species like cats and dogs disappear from the earth in order that this type of exploitation stop.

PETA opposes pet ownership - I disagree with PETA on this point. Pet ownership is consistent with animal welfare, because the animals certainly like free food, shelter, and companionship. And its consistent with animal rights, as adopting a pet is like adding another member to the family, there is nothing exploitative about that and certainly no rights have been violated.

I've personally had an unusual experience with a PETA member, in which she corrected my use of the word "pet" mid-speech with "animal companion". Right now, I am caring for my sisters puppy, Mr. Piddles (short for Montague Von Piddler III esq.), and he seems very happy.

Mokele,

I love how they hypocritcially claim to be for "animal rights", but what they actually mean is "endotherm rights". I have never once seen them so much as raise a finger to "help" anything that doesn't have warm blood. Let alone invertebrates.

Not true. Although, it isnt publicized as often, many vegans oppose very much eating fish, crab, lobster, shellfish, and other sea animals. And I dont know many vegans would would willingly torment a snake or a lizard, and there are some very admirable efforts to rescue sea turtles whos homes have been destroyed by oil spills or pollution, and environmentalists especially care very much for coldblooded and invertebrate animals such as those in coral reef systems.

Some vegans will even abstain from using products that destroy insect life, such as honey, various dyes, and certain makeups. For me, I dont believe that insects suffer nearly as much as mammals, however I still dont feel compelled to kill them (also, for environmental reasons, I buy my food from local organic providers who little to no pesticides).

The reason why endotherms recieve so much attention is because thats what so many people eat and experiment on.

The average American meat-eater is responsible for the abuse and deaths of approximately 2,500 chickens

I found this on the peta website, 2500 chickens! even If i had one whole chicken every day it would take nearly seven years to fill that quota. How sick of chicken would you be after that...

On the chicken topic, there was one thing that PETA did a little while back that I found hilarious - where they picketed KFC saying "Stop avian flu - go vegetarian!" First of all, unless you're getting your chicken from your friendly neighborhood chicken dealer over in Vietnam or Indonesia, you're not really contributing to avian flu. The avian flu needs to infect mammals and reassort its genes in order to become infective for us - and that really only happens in very unsanitary conditions where avians and swine are kept together, which doesn't happen in this country. Second of all, even if everybody was a vegetarian, we would still need chickens for their eggs for the flu vaccine! Upwards of a billion eggs a year are used in producing the vaccine.

Another one of PETA's things about anti-vivisectionism is that cell culture can be used instead of the "more cruel" animal research. However, all cell cultures rely on serum, which can only feasibly be obtained using the "byproducts" of large-scale cattle farming - meaning that the cell culture research that PETA vaunts actually requires large numbers of meat-eating people in order to work. And the way you obtain the serum is cardiac puncture of fetal calves - which means taking late-term unborn calves out of their mothers and puncturing their still-beating hearts with a large needle. This sounds fairly cruel to me. If you try to get this serum any other way (ie, slow bleeding of happy organic cows) - it will be too expensive for anybody to use it. The serum is already $1000 per liter and I go through a liter every two weeks in my lab.

It's one thing to believe in something and work wholeheartedly toward that cause, the way the ASPCA does. It's another thing altogether to start protesting something without knowing anything about it, accomplishing only the goal of annoying or seriously inconveniencing vast numbers of people, the way PETA does.

The serum is already $1000 per liter and I go through a liter every two weeks in my lab.

Holy balls! In two weeks you spend more in serum than my entire project cost! Damn, I'm glad I'm working at the organismal level.

Mokele

It's because of our research that the entomologists/plant people don't have any money. I can go through $300 in antibodies and $300 in mice in a *single* experiment. When I used to work with fruit flies and algae it would take me weeks to do that. Our lab is actually on the low end of the scale in the area where I work - I know techs at Rockefeller that go through hundreds of Affymetrix chips in a week. Now that is serious money.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally disagree with artificial selection which is what we are doing right now...but seriously, breeding wasn't meant to be controlled cuz I don't think humans would want to be spaded or neutered...

Also, I always though PETA was people eating tasty animals which makes sense since we eating animals are a kind of predation...

Anyways, about the 2500 chicken, an average american would mean that you would consider pretty much every american since your talking about the average, and thus, if you take a look at the popution, 280 million people multiplied by 2500, I blieve is 700/75(life expectancy) which is 93 billion chickens...I doubt there are that many chickens in the world let alone the US...

I remember reading a letter to the editor in the local newspaper. This guy just completely debunked PETA. He used everything from science(evolution) to religion(Bible). While I do believe we do have to take care our pets, farmers should never neglect their livestock, and scientists should never be unwantingly cruel to test animal, PETA just take things way too far to the point of bordering on fanaticsm/terrorism. As a matter of fact that's one of the signs of a terrorist, "Someone who purposely damages/kills that/those they have claimed to be protecting."

• 3 weeks later...
Hey' date=' I just found out that the new spokesperson for PETA's fight against KFC's cruelty to chickens is Martin Freeman, of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie.

It's a pretty grusome article. http://www.peta2.com/outthere/o-martinfreeman.asp[/quote']Interesting, the late Frank Perdue used to feed marigold petals to his chickens while basking in their air conditioned chicken coops.