Analogy between chromosomes and technology

Ricardogarcia

I'm unfamiliar with the phrase "sienso sienso" and find nothing online to explain it.  Consequently I am not sure what you are asking. Are you suggesting that chromosomes are storing data more efficiently? That seems improbable, but if not that what?

18 hours ago, Ricardogarcia said:

Making an analogy of technology with regard to storage devices, as these are getting smaller and store more information being more efficient. Could something similar happen with the chromosomes?

10 hours ago, Area54 said:

I'm unfamiliar with the phrase "sienso sienso" and find nothing online to explain it.  Consequently I am not sure what you are asking. Are you suggesting that chromosomes are storing data more efficiently? That seems improbable, but if not that what?

I'm sorry, it's making an analogy of technology with regard to storage devices, these are getting smaller and store more information being more efficient. Could something similar happen with the chromosomes?

What i mean is if the smaller chromosomes are condensing more information, something similar to what happens with storage devices, which are becoming smaller and with more memory.

There are several problems with this idea:

• memory devices, etc. are getting smaller or denser because of changes in technology developed by physicists and engineers; 
  • chromosomes are not designed
  • chromosomes are not storing more information than in the past.

Apart from that ...

Thank you for the clarification Ricardo. You had written what you seemed to have written, but as Strange has pointed out it is not a thought that makes a lot of sense. (Although using your imagination then checking it against reality is always a good thing.)

Was there any particular reason you thought this might be happening to chromosomes, or did it just seem like a neat idea.

Hi Ricardo, it is not possible to make this comparison since as mentioned above, the chromosomes are not designed, if it is feasible that they are being reduced in size and somehow optimizing the amount of information (we have to document a little more), but the information remains the same and continues to be expressed as it has for a long time, a comparison with karyotypes from many years ago (related studies to demonstrate) would have to be made to identify the changes that have occurred.

The idea is not quite wrong you know.
Currently working on data storage using DNA; due to strong demand for storage devices with increasing capacity, DNA has been considered as a storage medium due to its information density, high durability and also has the capacity to reproduce faithfully. Recent studies based on Shannon's ability, which refers to the ability of digital data that can be transmitted without error (information) would establish the amount of information that can be stored safely at each nucleotide.

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/355/6328/950.full

5 hours ago, Leonardo Castro-Zuleta said:

The idea is not quite wrong you know.

Artificially modifying DNA to function as an artificial data storage medium was not the idea proposed. The proposed idea was wrong, but thank you for linking to an interesting article.

On 6/9/2017 at 10:10 AM, Area54 said:

Thank you for the clarification Ricardo. You had written what you seemed to have written, but as Strange has pointed out it is not a thought that makes a lot of sense. (Although using your imagination then checking it against reality is always a good thing.)

Was there any particular reason you thought this might be happening to chromosomes, or did it just seem like a neat idea.

Or yes, because I thought maybe they are condensing more. Do you have any sources that will help to verify or refute my idea?

Just now, Ricardogarcia said:

Or yes, because I thought maybe they are condensing more. Do you have any sources that will help to verify or refute my idea?

It is hard to prove a negative. Do you have any evidence that they are "condensing"?

On 6/9/2017 at 7:26 AM, Ricardogarcia said:

I'm sorry, it's making an analogy of technology with regard to storage devices, these are getting smaller and store more information being more efficient. Could something similar happen with the chromosomes?

What i mean is if the smaller chromosomes are condensing more information, something similar to what happens with storage devices, which are becoming smaller and with more memory.

On 6/9/2017 at 8:27 AM, Strange said:

There are several problems with this idea:

• memory devices, etc. are getting smaller or denser because of changes in technology developed by physicists and engineers; 
  • chromosomes are not designed
  • chromosomes are not storing more information than in the past.

Apart from that ...

Do you have a source to check it?

5 minutes ago, Ricardogarcia said:

It is probable that if this condensation was occuring that at least one the many thousands of current genetic research projects would have picked it up. Such a bizarre occurrence would have attracted global attenion and potentially led to a Nobel prize. The absence of such excietment suggests, strongly, no such condensation has been detected and therefore none exists.

For organisms that reproduce sexually the condensation would render the organisms sterile unless breeding with another organism that had experienced an identical condensation. You would need to offer a convincing mechanism to account for how that might be overcome.

Just to be clear, the source to check it are all the published papers on genetics that make not mention of condensation.

Edited by Area54

3 minutes ago, Area54 said:

It is probable that if this condensation was occuring that at least one the many thousands of current genetic research projects would have picked it up. Such a bizarre occurrence would have attracted global attenion and potentially led to a Nobel prize. The absence of such excietment suggests, strongly, no such condensation has been detected and therefore none exists.

Oh thanks!