How to purify Iron Oxide *Rust* ?

Digitals

How to purify Iron Oxide *Rust* ? :confused:

Ok im getting rust out of a barral in my backyard

Its quite dirty but when i grind it up with my fingers it turns into a fine powder *good* but there are a lot of other things like earth and grass, so i was wondering how to get it out of there with out messing up the Iron Oxide . Well thx for that help

FeO

Fe2O3 : that is rust

Fe3O4 : I think it's a mixture of FeO and Fe2O3

As I mentioned in another post, Fe3O4 (magnetite) will not form under ambient conditions and is therefore not a part of this "rust". It requires high temps and a less oxidising environment than our atmosphere.

I'm also fairly certain that it is very hard to form straight Fe(II) oxide, as it has a tendency oxidise quickly to Fe(III) oxides.

So that leaves mainly Fe2O3. What most of the posters here have missed is that many of these oxides are hydrated to form things such as goethite and its polymorphs (FeOOH), as well as other amorphous hydrates.

• 1 month later...

I am going to assume you are planning on using the rust for the thermite reaction, in which case i think you might be sunk. The thermite reaction requires relatively pure ingredients (especially the aluminum; it can't be oxidized) so you might be better off creating iron oxide using the classic DC converter in glass jar with nail (very time consuming though). However, you could also go the way of the magnetite (Fe3O4). This is very easy to find and refine, just run a powerful magnet over most any beach and you should get plenty.

If you aren't planning on using the rust for the thermite reaction then, well, i just made myself look like an idiot then didn't i :rolleyes: