Is 35% H202 lab garde stuff ?

Digitals

What bud is saying is that you can have 35% H2O2 that still has impurities, or you can have 35% H2O2 that has no impurities.

The reason is because the percentage tells you how much of the solution is H2O2. In this case, 35%. It doesn't tell you what makes up the rest of the solution.

So we really can't answer your question. maybe if you told it where you got it we could venture a gues...

Be careful not to spill concentrated hydrogen peroxide on your hands. It's really nasty stuff.

Also, please keep organic material away from conc. H2O2. You run a high risk of blowing yourself up. I am being serious. I know it sounds fun, but shock sensitive substances really aren't too fun when they blow up in your face just from looking at them wrong.

Is 35% H202 lab garde stuff ?

I bough some and i was wondering if there where some cool exerements with it? :cool: Thx for the info.

I'll give you some cool experiments, but please be very careful with H2O2 (35%). This is quite nasty stuff, for your skin, and it decomposes very easily. If you get some on your skin, then it'll cause almost immediately severe irritation of your skin (white stains, which itch and sting really badly) :-(.

Take 3 to 5 ml of 35% H2O2 and add a spatula full of solid calcium hypochlorite (the stuff, used in swimming pool). Do this in the dark. You'll see a red ghostlike glow (you get singlet oxygen, which gives a red glow, when it is converted to triplet oxygen).

Do NOT scale up this experiment!

Hydrogen peroxide forms beautifully colored peroxo complexes with many transition metal salts:

http://81.207.88.128/science/chem/exps/peroxo/index.html

Concentrated H2O2 can be used to make concentrated solutions of copper (II) chloride:

Add some copper wire to 30% HCl. It just needs to be covered by the acid.

Carefully drip in some H2O2 (35%) and swirl. Repeat, until all copper has dissolved. With the copper (II) chloride you can do more nice experiments.

Do this outside, because quite some noxious fumes of HCl and also some Cl2 are released.

Take 2 ml of 35% H2O2 and add a few crystals of KMnO4. You'll see an almost explosively violent decomposition. A lot of steam is produced! Quite spectacular, but please please do not scale up this one. Having too much H2O2 may cause the hot stuff to be swirled out of the beaker/tube!

Have fun, and stay green :).

in glow sticks, phenyl oxalate is oxidized by hydrogen peroxide. along the way to carbon dioxide and phenol, the intermediate 1,2-dioxetane-3,4-dione is formed. upon decomposition of the intermediate, enough energy is released to cause electron excitation and finally carbon dioxide and phenol are formed.

luminol cold light rection uses:

Na2CO3, luminol, NH4HCO3, CuSO4, NaHCO3, H2O2. Luminol is pricey but if you have access to it, play.

Solution A

4g Na2CO3 in 500mL distilled H2O

Add luminol, 2g

Add NH4HCO3 0.5g, CuSO4 0.5g, NaHCO3, 25g.

When all dissolved, dilute to 1L.

Solution B

3% H2O2 solution, 50mL - fresh.

Pour two solutions simultaneously into a flask slowly in the dark for pretty blue lights.

I'll give you some cool experiments' date=' but please be very careful with H2O2 (35%). This is quite nasty stuff, for your skin, and it decomposes very easily. If you get some on your skin, then it'll cause almost immediately severe irritation of your skin (white stains, which itch and sting really badly) :-(.

Take 3 to 5 ml of 35% H2O2 and add a spatula full of solid calcium hypochlorite (the stuff, used in swimming pool). Do this in the dark. You'll see a red ghostlike glow (you get singlet oxygen, which gives a red glow, when it is converted to triplet oxygen).

Do NOT scale up this experiment!

Hydrogen peroxide forms beautifully colored peroxo complexes with many transition metal salts:

http://81.207.88.128/science/chem/exps/peroxo/index.html

Concentrated H2O2 can be used to make concentrated solutions of copper (II) chloride:

Add some copper wire to 30% HCl. It just needs to be covered by the acid.

Carefully drip in some H2O2 (35%) and swirl. Repeat, until all copper has dissolved. With the copper (II) chloride you can do more nice experiments.

Do this outside, because quite some noxious fumes of HCl and also some Cl2 are released.

Take 2 ml of 35% H2O2 and add a few crystals of KMnO4. You'll see an almost explosively violent decomposition. A lot of steam is produced! Quite spectacular, but please please do not scale up this one. Having too much H2O2 may cause the hot stuff to be swirled out of the beaker/tube!

Have fun, and stay green :).[/quote']

Thanx for the infor *I did get a little h202 on my pinky oh boy it stinged :-( but ill be more carefull now :D *