A discussion of heathen religions

Randolpin

Why there are heathen religions?

My answer is that it is just the result of the longings of the human heart to the unknown satisfaction.

And that unknown satisfaction is the broken relationship of humankind to God when they sinned.

What are your thoughts with regards to this view?

Just to expand on Strange's point - why are there any religions, including whichever one you follow?

The reasons for the existence of any religion (and the reasons there are so many of them) are complex. However, I know of no characteristic that would validate any particular religion as the "correct" one.

If you wish to continue with the arrogance and self righteousness of your view of the followers of those other religions, then you might wish to consider that your motivations are probably a sin in your own religion.

2 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Define "heathen religions"

Those that are practiced by people with whom I disagree. As swansont mentions, it's an us vs them label, bestowed by those who consider themselves enlightened.

I've always dislike when this word is used in real life. It attempts to describe "them" as stupid and immoral. It begs the question of questionable character. It's a word that's usually accompanied by spitting, and the shaking of pitchforks. It's a word that stops meaningful dialogue in its tracks, imo.

On 8/27/2017 at 2:35 AM, Area54 said:

Just to expand on Strange's point - why are there any religions, including whichever one you follow?

The reasons for the existence of any religion (and the reasons there are so many of them) are complex. However, I know of no characteristic that would validate any particular religion as the "correct" one.

If you wish to continue with the arrogance and self righteousness of your view of the followers of those other religions, then you might wish to consider that your motivations are probably a sin in your own religion.

I am not arrogant or self-righteous here, I also fall short from the glory of God. What my motive is that I just want to share what my wisdom learned and perspective base on the truth that I found.

5 minutes ago, Randolpin said:

I am not arrogant or self-righteous here, I also fall short from the glory of God. What my motive is that I just want to share what my wisdom learned and perspective base on the truth that I found.

Please define what you think god is.

What is it you fall short off by your definition of god.

What are your motives.

Where did you learn your beliefs.

Is everyone who does not agree with you a heathen.

Are heathens nice people.

If you stood in a crowd of heathens at a concert, and wanted to expound your views and they did not want to listen, what do you think you should do.

Does it get cold in Petropavlosk-kamchatsk

6 hours ago, Randolpin said:

This indeed displays the astounding arrogance of christians who think they have discovered some truth, as if it were any more valid than any other religious belief. Your use of the word "heathen" to describe any other religion is clearly to be understood as pejorative. Considering that you have as little evidence of the validity of your religion as anyone else has for theirs, the arrogance is laughable.

9 minutes ago, DrKrettin said:

This indeed displays the astounding arrogance of christians who think they have discovered some truth, as if it were any more valid than any other religious belief. Your use of the word "heathen" to describe any other religion is clearly to be understood as pejorative. Considering that you have as little evidence of the validity of your religion as anyone else has for theirs, the arrogance is laughable.

Thank you for saving me the trouble of responding.

On 9/1/2017 at 10:24 AM, Randolpin said:

If you wanted to share what you call "wisdom", why didn't you answer this?

On 8/26/2017 at 7:55 PM, John Cuthber said:

• 5 months later...
On 9/2/2017 at 7:35 PM, John Cuthber said:

If you wanted to share what you call "wisdom", why didn't you answer this?

On 9/2/2017 at 7:35 PM, John Cuthber said:

Heathen religions are formed by gentiles who were not the chosen people of God.

Edited by Randolpin

On ‎26‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 3:32 PM, Randolpin said:

Why there are heathen religions?

My answer is that it is just the result of the longings of the human heart to the unknown satisfaction.

And that unknown satisfaction is the broken relationship of humankind to God when they sinned.

What are your thoughts with regards to this view?

People write fiction. People mean well and want the world to be a better place.  Take the Christianity myth for example. There is a lot of love and peace taught there. But there is love and peace taught in most of them. Good willed people trying to make the world a better place writing works of fiction trying to pass them off as god's word. It is a recurring theme across the ages. 'the path to hell is paved with good intentions' they say.

Your Christianity is just another of the worlds myths. It will crumble to 'nothing' like all the others because it is clearly based on a work of fiction.

4 minutes ago, DrP said:

People write fiction. People mean well and want the world to be a better place.  Take the Christianity myth for example. There is a lot of love and peace taught there. But there is love and peace taught in most of them. Good willed people trying to make the world a better place writing works of fiction trying to pass them off as god's word. It is a recurring theme across the ages. 'the path to hell is paved with good intentions' they say.

Your Christianity is just another of the worlds myths. It will crumble to 'nothing' like all the others because it is clearly based on a work of fiction.

But Christianity is not like other world religion and is far from being a myth because of the astounding evidences excavated by New Testament historians and scholars like Wolfhart Pannenberg and others on the historicity of the empty tomb, postmortem appearances and the origin of the disciples faith. Think about it, why early Christians are willing to die not to deny the truth they had?

Edited by Randolpin

2 minutes ago, Randolpin said:

But Christianity is not like other world religion and is far from being a myth because of the astounding evidences excavated by New Testament historians and scholars like Wolfhart Pannenberg and others.  

There are similar amounts of evidence related to the historical aspect of other religions. But like all religions, yours and is largely myth, for example: the existence of god, the existence of Jesus, miracles, Genesis, etc

3 minutes ago, Randolpin said:

But Christianity is not like other world religion and is far from being a myth because of the astounding evidences excavated by New Testament historians and scholars like Wolfhart Pannenberg and others on the historicity of the empty tomb, postmortem appearances and the origin of the disciples faith. Think about it, why early Christians are willing to die not to deny the truth they had?

You are a teacher right?(that's a bit scary reading your comment)

Evidences excavated by new Testament? There is far more "evidence" and historical artifacts in other religions. That doesn't change a thing. 

And about the last part, you can find people sacrificing themselves in all religions. Are all of them true?

I made this point before but if you never heard about Christianity and I would give you the bible to read it, saying nothing about this book, would you just tell me it's a great work of fiction or would you build a church and pray to that "God"?

4 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

Evidences excavated by new Testament? There is far more "evidence" and historical artifacts in other religions. That doesn't change a thing. 

Please cite at least one religion that has evidences. But even that,  it doesn't mean that all religions are equal. Or my belief in Christianity is false. Obviously evidences is what we want and I provided.

8 minutes ago, Silvestru said:

And about the last part, you can find people sacrificing themselves in all religions. Are all of them true?

I made this point before but if you never heard about Christianity and I would give you the bible to read it, saying nothing about this book, would you just tell me it's a great work of fiction or would you build a church and pray to that "God"?

But they died because of the truth that they hold. They saw and meet Jesus Christ . The truth so strong that they can't deny it. Unlike other religions like Muslim, they die because they are afraid or they long for a reward.

6 minutes ago, Randolpin said:

Please cite at least one religion that has evidences. But even that,  it doesn't mean that all religions are equal. Or my belief in Christianity is false. Obviously evidences is what we want and I provided.

Most of them have the same level proof that Christianity does.  Pretty much nothing. Mohamed was a real person from History. There have been many many people die in the name of Islam. Would they have dies for nothing? (you used that as evidence for Christianity earlier - they all same the same things).  They have books, reports of eye witnesses, reported miracles. Are you serious? All of them have 'evidence'  -  none of it is conclusive....  but there is plenty of supporting scientific evidence to point to them all being fiction.

What evidence is there for Christianity?  How do you reconcile the fact that most of the Christian stories are rehashes of myths and stories from older religions?

Edited by DrP

1 minute ago, Randolpin said:

Well to give you just an example, a lot of this "evidence" that you claim is before Christianity so it technically belongs to the Hebrew and Islamic religion.

L Ron Hubbard(Scientology) is very well documented historically and the guy wrote sooooooo much BS. It is without a doubt that he existed. Actually there are infinetely more chances that he existed that Jesus. Should we fall on our knees now and join Tom Cruise?

1 minute ago, DrP said:

Most of them have the same level proof that Christianity does.  Pretty much nothing. Mohamed was a real person from History. There have been many many people die in the name of Islam. Would they have dies for nothing? (you used that as evidence for Christianity earlier - they all same the same things).  They have books, reports of eye witnesses, reported miracles. Are you serious? All of them have 'evidence'  -  none of it is conclusive.

What evidence is there for Christianity?  How do you reconcile the fact that most of the Christian stories are rehashes of myths and stories from older religions?

In Christianity, it is agreed historically that Jesus died by Crucifixion and this same fact is what the Quran denies. Therefore we can conclude that the Quran has historical errors.

9 minutes ago, Randolpin said:

In Christianity, it is agreed historically that Jesus died by Crucifixion and this same fact is what the Quran denies. Therefore we can conclude that the Quran has historical errors.

Really? There is documented evidence of this Jesus being crucified beyond that of the bible story book or other fictional works?  That Myth is the same as about 4 or 5 other earlier myths about someone dying for your sins. Mythras was it? and several others that are similar. Total rubbish and un supported by anything.  It is there to make you think, like any parable....  forgive yourself, forgive others, repent from your sins - all good stuff.....  but you don't need this feather to fly (see the film Dumbo by Walt Disney - the animal could fly without the feather, but thought he needed it to fly).  

9 minutes ago, Randolpin said:

Therefore we can conclude that the Quran has historical errors.

.....unlike the Bible?  lol. Which is full of errors historically and spurious claims... what nonsense.   Right - I'm out. Back to work for me. Have a nice day.

Edited by DrP

5 minutes ago, DrP said:

Really? There is documented evidence of this Jesus being crucified beyond that of the bible story book or other fictional works?  That Myth is the same as about 4 or 5 other earlier myths about someone dying for your sins. Mythras was it? and several others that are similar. Total rubbish and un supported by anything.  It is there to make you think, like any parable....  forgive yourself, forgive others, repent from your sins - all good stuff.....  but you don't need this feather to fly (see the film Dumbo by Walt Disney - the animal could fly without the feather, but thought he needed it to fly).  

.....unlike the Bible?  lol. Which is full of errors historically and spurious claims... what nonsense.   Right - I'm out. Back to work for me. Have a nice day.

This is fact and this attested by New Testament scholars like N.T. Wright.

26 minutes ago, Randolpin said:

Please cite at least one religion that has evidences.

There is historical evidence for the existence of the Buddha as a real person.

But even that,  it doesn't mean that all religions are equal.

Why not?

Or my belief in Christianity is false.

Doesn't show it is true either. Surely, faith doesn't depend on evidence. And, arguably, shouldn't depend on evidence.

28 minutes ago, Randolpin said:

But they died because of the truth that they hold. They saw and meet Jesus Christ .

The believed it. It doesn't mean it is true.

55 minutes ago, Randolpin said:

Heathen religions are formed by gentiles who were not the chosen people of God.

Like Judaism? There is historical evidence for some things in the Jewish religion.

20 minutes ago, Randolpin said:

In Christianity, it is agreed historically that Jesus died by Crucifixion

There is no historical evidence for that. Not even that he existed.

The Romans were pretty good at record keeping but there is no record of his existence, life, trial or death.

6 minutes ago, Randolpin said:

There are contemporary records of this.

3 minutes ago, Randolpin said:

I don't have time to look it up but, no, it is NOT fact. Not at all and is hotly debated as to whether the guy even existed. I used to worship him as my god...  but you have to be real to your self.

He was just a man....  IF he even existed. If he did exist, then so what? Doesn't mean the fables about him rasing the dead, healing the blind etc are true.  Every case of it happening in modern times has been proven false, tied in with probable happenings or has no documented evidences. If it happened the church would be all over it to make it public...  it never does because it is just obvious bollocks.