Celebrity deification

A common phenomenon in some countries, especially in the United States, is the search for heroes and the deification of celebrities. The psychological need to have heroes and celebrities. It is a culture that acts on the mentality of the people from childhood. It is necessary beware not to create pariahs, those called losers. Celebrities are not gods, they are people like us.

3 hours ago, DrKrettin said:

The obsession with "celebrities" is alive and well in the UK, and it leaves me totally baffled. Particularly the status of actors who are often elevated to demi-gods.

Crush ("have a crush on (someone)")

"3. an amazing thing that gives you feelings of nerves and excitement whenever you see them"

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Crush&page=2

I would say, in many cases, it's correlated to lack of personal self-confidence.

Edited by Sensei

I love good stories, and good stories are driven by characters. The actors who bring those to life, whether on stage, cinema, or television, are artists creating emotions and experiences in an entertaining fashion. 

I got a chance to see a bunch of celebrities this summer. They were paid to sign autographs and take photos with fans at Comic Con. In particular, I watched Wallace Shawn for a while. The man is so genuinely thrilled by his fans, and has such a contagious, grinning joie de vivre. I personally don't collect pictures and autographs, I've always thought it robs the moment, but I realized later that I could've paid $50 just to talk to him for half a minute, and thank him for all the wonderful stories he helped bring to life. I was so against the idea of paying for an autograph that it stopped me from thinking of any alternative. I really wish I would have thought of it at the time. Inconceivable! 

If I see a play locally and an actor moves me, I thank them afterward if possible. At an international level, paying for their time is to be expected, I suppose. For me, it's not the actors, but the characters that made me feel in different ways. 

12 hours ago, Strange said:

Yep. I can't see why anyone would find this a puzzling aspect of human nature. 

Nor do I - what I find puzzling are the criteria for choosing heroes. Most are merely actors and actresses or other entertainers with a wide range of talent from impressive to absolute zero.

25 minutes ago, DrKrettin said:

Nor do I - what I find puzzling are the criteria for choosing heroes. Most are merely actors and actresses or other entertainers with a wide range of talent from impressive to absolute zero.

Well that opens a can of worms and pours it down the rabbit hole. Why do people fall in love with the people they do? Why do some people collect cuckoo clocks and others matchbox labels? Why do some people like heavy metal and some like opera? (No doubt some like both; there is probably a heavy metal opera out there.)

Reminds me of an interview I heard with a young boy with autism who had memorised every house in his town with a blue front door. "Not green doors though?" asked the interviewer. The boy sounded pained as if explaining to someone who wasn't very bright, "Of course not. That would just be silly."

Edited by Strange

The tabloids are probably more what the OP is talking about. People who obsess over the perceived real lives of celebrities are probably blurring the line between on-screen portrayal of dramatic situations and what goes on in a fast-paced, well-financed lifestyle. I think we tend to have funny ideas about people with lots of money. We hear about Michael Jordan and Don King dropping six figures at their favorite shoe store, and we tend to think all rich people have closets full of shoes. Or because Harrison Ford owns his own jet, they all own their own jet. I'm sure though that celebrities are as varied as any other segment of the population in their habits.

Here's a thought. Is it the celebrity or the money that attracts us? If actors made about as much as teachers for what they do, would the obsession with them persist? Are there any celebrities who aren't wealthy? Not just someone who's down on their luck or blew their fortune, but someone who is internationally known yet makes a salary more in line with the 99%? For instance, Bernie Sanders is a very famous man, but he's not fabulously wealthy like many politicians, actors, and media personalities. Any others?

16 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Here's a thought. Is it the celebrity or the money that attracts us? ... Are there any celebrities who aren't wealthy?

Great question. There might be some poets or artists who fall into this category. But their celebrity is probably more limited.

• 4 weeks later...