Ancient Greek Inventions/Discoveries Still Used Today

KingRamirez

I've just remembered that I wanted to comment on this. It is a perfectly usual word (attested 130 times, twice in the bible) which is the 1st sing. active perfect indicative of the verb eurisko to discover, find out. So it means "I have discovered (it)" and was (probably) pronounced HOO-re-ka. This is in stark contrast to the present-day attempt of yoo-REE-ka

Which doesn't contradict the assertion that the Greeks invented the word, unless you are suggesting the word was imported from another language.

Edited by Area54

3 minutes ago, Area54 said:

Which doesn't contradict the assertion that the Greeks invented the word, unless you are suggesting the word was imported from another language.

Very true, I was just pointing out how unremarkable it is.

10 hours ago, DrKrettin said:

I've just remembered that I wanted to comment on this. It is a perfectly usual word (attested 130 times, twice in the bible) which is the 1st sing. active perfect indicative of the verb eurisko to discover, find out. So it means "I have discovered (it)" and was (probably) pronounced HOO-re-ka. This is in stark contrast to the present-day attempt of yoo-REE-ka

The Greek Septuagint was written around 400 A.D 

Archimedes was born around 200 B.C

Translation of it from Hebrew to Greek around 400 A.D and put in the word "Eureka" 

Translated: I have found among the exiles from Judah a man who will make known to the king. From Daniel 2.25

"I have found" replace with the word "Eureka"

Only 2 times the word was used. One time in Daniel and another time in Hosea 

And both times "I have found" is replaced with "Eureka" or another way to write it in a similar way. 

Also even thou the word was used 130x. Archimedes made it famous. 

For example: Darwin made evolution mainstream and famous. But so many others was talking about it and already wrote about it before him. 

Edited by Baron d'Holbach

13 hours ago, Baron d'Holbach said:

The Greek Septuagint was written around 400 A.D 

Archimedes was born around 200 B.C

Translation of it from Hebrew to Greek around 400 A.D and put in the word "Eureka" 

Translated: I have found among the exiles from Judah a man who will make known to the king. From Daniel 2.25

"I have found" replace with the word "Eureka"

Only 2 times the word was used. One time in Daniel and another time in Hosea 

And both times "I have found" is replaced with "Eureka" or another way to write it in a similar way. 

Also even thou the word was used 130x. Archimedes made it famous. 

For example: Darwin made evolution mainstream and famous. But so many others was talking about it and already wrote about it before him. 

I was referring to the New Testament, the text actually written in Greek, where it occurs twice: Epist. Joannis ii.4.1 and Apocalypsis Joannis 3.2.2. We have the word attested 130 times, but have no way of knowing the connection between what we have and how often it was actually used, other than it was obviously common. I was just trying to make the point that it was not a particularly notable word, where Greek has hundreds of interesting "invented" words (in the sense that Strange defines above). 

Edited by DrKrettin