Chriogenical Freezing (dont know about spelling)

thnx man, and be sure, I`ll take great interest in that! especialy if I can actualy make the stuff in my Lab, could be cause for some neat party tricks!!!!! Imagine an ice cube in a coctail that just WON`T MELT :)

Muhahhaahahahahaaa :)

yeah, that would be pretty cool :)

unfortunately, i don't know if that would work :(

the problem is, in order for the ice to remain in that phase, you must keep it at the correct temp/pressure. So unless you are having parties in a pressure chamber...i am not sure how well that will work.

Not to despair though, you can still introduce ice that will sink :) though it will still melt eventually. thats cool though, sinking ice is pretty sweet :D

how do you prep something like that in a lab?

Well, i don't really know what you have to work with so it would be hard to say...

If you are in a science lab, you would really only need a pressure vesle and a cooling jacket. And of course you would need to make sure the vesel was clean (ie. never been used, if that even). But going this route is probably bad news.

If you are in your garage at home you would need something that is clean and can sustain some fairly good pressures (perhaps a pressure cooker that has been rigged up?) and something to cool it down (dry ice is cold and readily available). And of course you would need to know what ice you want to make, so you would need to look up desities and then create the apporpraite conditions.

Yeah, so perahps pressure cooker + dry ice would work. Who knows? Yeah, just don't kill yourself :D

Let me know if you figure out a way to do it, that would be cool!

I have a small section of a .22 gun barrel here, If I cut off a 1 inch peice, put a rubber pad either end with it full of water and tape it up, then put it in a small table vice (each end against the gripper part), then freeze that?

does that sound about workable?

well, i don't know. The problem will be generating the pressures needed. Of course as the ice expands, it will encrease the pressure, but then you will already have partial freezing once you get to this pressure, so you will have at least 2 different kinds of ice. If this even works. The other problem being this; the other forms of ice may not (most likely not) expand when forming. Thus, as soon as you get enough pressure to form a differnent phase of ice, and this phase starts forming, the ice will shrink, thus reliving the pressure. So, you will not get any different forms of ice. Yeah, so i don't thing that will work. But then again, you never know if you don't try. You just have to dicide whther it is worth the .22 barrel for something that probably wont work?

Yeah, what you will need is something to freeze the water in that will be able to remain at a constant, high pressure. That seems to be the trick. And of course, if you do this under air, you will probably freeze out the CO2, if you use dry ice.

OH one thing!!!! DO NOT USE LIQUID NITROGEN as the freezing agent. At least not if you are going to do this under ambient air conditions. You could end up liquifying O2 and then confining it. This is bad. Solid O2 is rather explosive when it vaporizes. Also, it vigorously attacks pretty much everything. Every once in a while someone will liquify O2 in a glass container by mistake in a chem lab, and the resulting explosion will shoot glass shards THROUGH the saftey glass on the hood. The moral of hte story, do not use liquid N2 to cool stuff in a confined volume under ambient air. :)