Main Theory of Buddhism

Prof.De Mendiz

While the Noble Eightfold Path is best-known in the west, a wide variety of practices and stages have been used and described in the Buddhist traditions. Basic practices include sila (ethics), samadhi (meditation, dhyana) and prajna (wisdom), as described in the Noble Eightfold Path. An important additional practice is a kind and compassionate attitude toward every living being and the world. Devotion is also important in some Buddhist traditions, and in the Tibetan traditions visualizations of deities and mandalas are important. The value of textual study is regarded differently in the various Buddhist traditions. It is central to Theravada and highly important to Tibetan Buddhism, while the Zen tradition takes an ambiguous stance.

Traditionally, the first step in most Buddhist schools requires taking Three Refuges, also called the Three Jewels (Sanskrit: triratna, Pali: tiratana) as the foundation of one's religious practice.Pali texts employ the Brahmanical motif of the triple refuge, found in the Rigveda 9.97.47, Rigveda 6.46.9 and Chandogya Upanishad 2.22.3–4.Tibetan Buddhism sometimes adds a fourth refuge, in the lama. The three refuges are believed by Buddhists to be protective and a form of reverence.
The Three Jewels are:

The Buddha, the Gotama, the Blessed One, the Awakened with true knowledge
The Dharma, the precepts, the practice, the Four Truths, the Eightfold Path
The Sangha, order of monks, the community of Buddha's disciples
Reciting the three refuges is considered in Buddhism not as a place to hide, rather a thought that purifies, uplifts and strengthens.

Main Theory-

An important guiding principle of Buddhist practice is the Middle Way (madhyamapratipad). It was a part of Buddha's first sermon, where he presented the Noble Eightfold Path that was a 'middle way' between the extremes of asceticism and hedonistic sense pleasures. In Buddhism, states Harvey, the doctrine of "dependent arising" (conditioned arising, pratītyasamutpāda) to explain rebirth is viewed as the 'middle way' between the doctrines that a being has a "permanent soul" involved in rebirth (eternalism) and "death is final and there is no rebirth" (annihilationism).
In the Theravada canon, the Pali-suttas, various often irreconcilable sequences can be found. According to Carol Anderson, the Theravada canon lacks "an overriding and comprehensive structure of the path to nibbana."Nevertheless, the Noble Eightfold Path, or "Eightfold Path of the Noble Ones", has become an imprortant description of the Buddhist path. It consists of a set of eight interconnected factors or conditions, that when developed together, lead to the cessation of dukkha.These eight factors are: Right View (or Right Understanding), Right Intention (or Right Thought), Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, and Right Concentration.
This Eightfold Path is the fourth of the Four Noble Truths, and asserts the path to the cessation of dukkha (suffering, pain, unsatisfactoriness.The path teaches that the way of the enlightened ones stopped their craving, clinging and karmic accumulations, and thus ended their endless cycles of rebirth and suffering.

Reference - Wikipedia 

2 hours ago, Prof.De Mendiz said:

Reference - Wikipedia

That is not a reference. You might as well say "a book" or "some bloke". It doesn't help anyone. 

Also, what did you want to discuss? Or are you just blogging/preaching?

Dear Senior Member strange and other seniors and all members,

I expect that to create a logical discussion of the Theory of Buddhism..is true or false...with other religions...

add any of logical way if you have the theory is True Or False....

I m a Prof. in University of Morotuwa , Lk.....and as usually as you are I m also a Christian.

I m USA citizen...and I found that this religious beliefs is on this Asian counties.  so I would like to have a forum with you. so i hope your logical thoughts about this. This Theory is important......to have great evolution of Theories of Religions  among people who are blind minded

And i hope to create a big revolution here.

This is the time to get logical thoughts about this Theory.

Thanks, De Mendiz

Edited by Prof.De Mendiz

There are at least a few regular Buddhists on this forum, so you could get an interested audience. But it is still unclear what you want to talk about - maybe a language barrier? Theory of Buddhism true or false is way too general to get a discussion going.

I consider myself a Buddhist and agnostic. Buddha may have been a man who lived about 500 years before Jesus, or the Buddha may be a myth passed down by word of mouth until someone started writing about Buddhism. It makes no difference whether man or myth to me. One cannot disprove supernatural things, such as God or gods, but IMO there is little chance of such things being more than imagination. I think Buddhist ethics are excellent and taught in a way that people can easily understand, compared to some Western philosophers (e.g., Kant). Western medicine has studied meditation and found it to be a good tool people can use to improve their lives. Finally,Tibetan Buddhism revers science, according to the Dali Lama,

If scientific analysis were conclusively to demonstrate certain claims in Buddhism to be false, then we must accept the findings of science and abandon those claims.

There are many variants of Buddhism, perhaps each person has their own idea about it.

3 hours ago, Prof.De Mendiz said:

And i hope to create a big revolution here.

:o Really? By copy/pasting a Wikipedia article?

I would expect that a professor (in what? I can't find you on the University's Web page) is able to write a challenging post himself, provoking useful reactions. 

hi everyone,

thanks all for the comments. I like to give a good clear understanding on Buddhism about the main theories of Buddhism discussing them.

soo i need people who know about the theory of Buddhism is that Theory is Good  from all religions???

as Christians do we follow a myth???

these are the topic ideas to talk here.

soo i would like to and i hope new logical thoughts about Buddhism...cux i m researching about it here.so i need all your logical ideas about theories of Buddhism true or false.....or if true do we follow a myth as Christians???

discussion about this is needed

thanks, De Mendiz

12 minutes ago, Prof.De Mendiz said:

my team was the persons who developed that article about Buddhism.

Just so we have this out of our way Sir, what are you professor of? The reason I ask is that when I google "Prof.De Mendiz" all I get is a link to this thread on Science Forums. 

Edited by koti

For somebody who is responsible for the Wikipedia article about Buddhism, your posting style here is lacking rigour.

I do not even understand what you are asking.

9 minutes ago, Prof.De Mendiz said:

soo i need people who know about the theory of Buddhism is that Theory is Good  from all religions???

10 minutes ago, Eise said:

For somebody who is responsible for the Wikipedia article about Buddhism, your posting style here is lacking rigour.

I do not even understand what you are asking.

I think he's asking for the theory to be the bestest theory and be bulletproof when put against all other theories (of religion) Simple logic Eise, you need to brush up on your rigour :P

Edited by koti

4 minutes ago, Prof.De Mendiz said:

soo i would like to and i hope new logical thoughts about Buddhism...cux i m researching about it here.so i need all your logical ideas about theories of Buddhism true or false.....or if true do we follow a myth as Christians???

thanks, De Mendiz

Open-minded people tend to be interested in Buddhism because Buddha urged people to investigate things - he didn't just command them to believe. -- Dalai Lama

It has been true for a couple of thousand years; thus, new logical thoughts about Buddhism seem unlikely. Moreover, I don't think of Buddhism as being true or false; rather, I look at various aspects, for example reincarnation and think, "No, there is nothing rational about reincarnation, unless one considers the natural decay of bodies and their reuse by nature. No energy or spirit can survive." On the other hand, I look at the ethic of peace and kindness, and think, "Yes, it's a great idea."  In my opinion the Bible contradicts itself too often to be useful to me, and contains things that are simply impossible, for example Revelation 6:13 (standard English version) says,

and the stars of the sky fell to the earth as the fig tree sheds its winter fruit when shaken by a gale.

All stars are far bigger than the Earth, and if one got anywhere near, the Earth would vaporize. Other things in the Bible make sense. So, I could never judge either Buddhism nor Christianity as either true or false. You may as well ask whether they are hot or cold. So, what are you asking?

12 hours ago, Prof.De Mendiz said:

I expect that to create a logical discussion of the Theory of Buddhism..is true or false...with other religions...

What do you mean by the "theory of Buddhism"?

You seem to have just copied part of the Wikipedia page. 

5 hours ago, koti said:

Yep. The "theory of Buddhism" That gave it away for me.

theory of Buddhism is middle way called madyama prathipathawa......read the main theory in my first post and if you understand it...give logical ideas of it. 

as your comments it represent you can't understand the main theory....so read it carefully all people! And give logical ideas.....all your comments represent you people can't understand the middle way theory....

read carefully main post " main theory " part and add valuable ideas.

thanks, DeMendiz

Edited by Prof.De Mendiz

Do you have any evidence for or against this "theory"? (It is not a theory in the scientific sense.)

If not, there is little scope for a logical discussion. 

What sort of revolution do you expect to make?

Edited by Strange

5 hours ago, Strange said:

Do you have any evidence for or against this "theory"? (It is not a theory in the scientific sense.)

If not, there is little scope for a logical discussion. 

What sort of revolution do you expect to make?

yes thanks for your comments.

if you say this is not a scientific theory....can you please give me evidence plz

i wanna do a evolution to prove that to this theory followed by many people to tell them what is the modified version of scientific knowledge of this middle path way of Buddha. 

soo if you have any logical droughts in that main theory please post the droughts you feel..must be corrected.

thanks, DeMendiz

7 hours ago, Prof.De Mendiz said:

theory of Buddhism is middle way called madyama prathipathawa......read the main theory in my first post and if you understand it...give logical ideas of it. 

as your comments it represent you can't understand the main theory....so read it carefully all people! And give logical ideas.....all your comments represent you people can't understand the middle way theory....

read carefully main post " main theory " part and add valuable ideas.

thanks, DeMendiz

It's not up to us to do the rigor for you, 

1 minute ago, Prof.De Mendiz said:

yes thanks for your comments.

if you say this is not a scientific theory....can you please give me evidence plz

i wanna do a evolution to prove that to this theory followed by many people to tell them what is the modified version of scientific knowledge of this middle path way of Buddha. 

soo if you have any logical droughts in that main theory please post the droughts you feel..must be corrected.

thanks, DeMendiz

If people don't understand what you want then maybe you haven't explained it properly, please try again. 

26 minutes ago, Prof.De Mendiz said:

if you say this is not a scientific theory....can you please give me evidence plzx

Huh? The evidence that it is not a scientific theory is that you have provided no evidence or testable predictions.

What "scientific knowledge"? Please provide an example. And explain how this "scientific knowledge" has been experimentally tested.

Do you even know what science is?