Integral area problem

Ok, the instructions are to find the area of the region enclosed by the curves...

x=y^3-4y^2 +3y and x=y^2-y

the coordinates aren't given, but I have worked the y coordinated out to be 0, 1, and 3. This problem throws me off because of its in x in terms of y, instead of vice versa. Can anyone help me out as to how to approach graphing it. Thanks

He seems to know that he has to draw it out. What I think he's saying is that he doesn't know how to, because for both curves x is given as a function of y, and he learned his curve sketching techniques when the opposite was the case. That's why I say to interchange coordinates. He should then be able to easily plot the figure, and it will have the correct area.

You are onto something though. I made a tiny mistake in my first post. Switching x and y is not just a rotation. It is a rotation and a reflection.

So say you have both curves plotted on coordinate system with the axes in "standard" position. If you rotate counterclockwise by 90 degrees, then reflect through the new x-axis (which is now vertical), then you get the same figure you would have gotten if you had just switched x and y in the first place. And the area is still the same, of course.

The limits of integration will not change. Why would they? Instead of setting y^3-4y^2 +3y equal to y^2-y and solving, you are now setting x^3-4x^2 +3x equal to x^2-x and solving. It should be easy to see that you will get the same solutions.