Do you think the religion of Islam will ever be respected in a planet where the majority of people are non-Muslims?

Jeremy_phillips

Just now, dimreepr said:

So? Anyone who actively seeks to help others should be shown respect. 

Yes, and it has nothing to do with Islam.
It's not as if Islam invented it.
The best you can say is that "Islam didn't tell people to abandon their innate feelings of charity towards other people".

That's hardly a commendation is it?

7 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

You're embarrassing yourself, you conflate peace with inner peace, come on you MUST know the difference.

Maybe if you weren't so much at peace you would actually understand what I'm saying. 

4 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

Yes, and it has nothing to do with Islam.
It's not as if Islam invented it.
The best you can say is that "Islam didn't tell people to abandon their innate feelings of charity towards other people".

That's hardly a commendation is it?

Yes semantic's, you said Islam (not Quran) its people that are Islamic and all people deserve respect unless they do something to earn its removal.

!

Moderator Note

OK stop with the silly sniping - everyone! 

If you cannot participate in a thread on religion without descending to logical fallacies, insulting behaviour and boorishness then just steer clear of these topics. 

Posts about another member, or about their characteristics, or the failings you perceive them to have will be treated as hijacking and or abusive.  Keep on topic and keep it acceptable

I confess to my inability to to lead a civil dialog on certain subjects. Would you show me how its done Imatfaal and answer bimbos question? This is not sarcasm, I'm genuinly unable to answer her question.

Edited by koti

3 hours ago, swansont said:

Bollocks.

I guess it could be voluntary to give nonsense respect. But in many cases respect is defined as following their rules, not simply live and let live. I know Muslims, my next door neighbors are muslim, good people but even they admit that religion cannot be allowed to demand respect from others who do not share their belief... 

No, you don't. That's harassment, and is illegal.

It's legal for them to harang me when I walk down the street yet I cannot respond to them? 

Again, your idea of respect is different from mine. I expect you've been in a number of restaurants run by Christians, and I doubt any of them overtly expected you to say grace. (It's not required in Chick-fil-A, for example). To require this would be against the law.

Again I am not suggesting anyone do this or has done this, just an extreme example.

More bollocks. You can tell someone to get of your property without it being disrespect. Asserting your rights is not disrespect.

So they get to disrespect me by interrupting my day by trying sell me on nonsense?  What do you think the reaction would be if I went around knocking on doors trying to convince people there is no god? Here in the south you would be likely to get my ass kicked if not a buck shot enima. 

You seem to be equating respect with kowtowing.

You seem to be confusing religion with reasonable behavior... 

Forgive me if I don't take your word for what Islam expects of people.

I would think you occasionally watch a news source, cutting someone's head off because the disrespected Islam is just one tiny reaction of islam to disrespect.  

Respecting a religion — that others are allowed to believe what they will (i.e. accepting the first amendment) does not mean you have to believe the same things. Similarly you can respect someone's right to free speech without having to agree with what they say. Disagreement is not disrespect. Obsequiousness is not respect.

You are correct but when religion puts it's nose into government, education, and my personal business by demanding respect they do not deserve I get concerned.  

My respect is reserved for individuals not beliefs, if you believe god said to kill and eat homeless people I would say that person has lost his rights if not his mind. 

My rights end where yours begin, but to try and force your beliefs on others because their imaginary friend gets butt hurt if you insult him is not freedom of speech or respect. 

If I stood on a street corner expounding on the non existence of god I would be told to stop and arrested if I did not. Why does religion get a pass? 

Where i live the first thing a stranger asks you is where do you go to church, if you simply you do not you can expect a lecture on why you should go to their church. Say that you are an atheist and risk drawing a hostile crowd.

If I am required to respect a belief then my freedom is being violated...    

3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Yes semantic's, you said Islam (not Quran) its people that are Islamic and all people deserve respect unless they do something to earn its removal.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

The people deserve respect, just like anyone else.

Their religion doesn't- unless, you can finally show that it did something worthy of respect.

!

Moderator Note

This thread is on how people, and how will people in the future will, respond to Islam.  It is not open season on attacking any religion nor for proselytising.  Two post containing just transcripts of verses from Koran have been hidden.

Do you think the religion of Islam will ever be respected in a planet where the majority of people are non-Muslims?

No. In most Islam countries or area's men don't shake hands to women...a rule like this is because of teachings out of the Quran. You imo can't respect a religion which suppresses women.

55 minutes ago, Itoero said:

No. In most Islam countries or area's men don't shake hands to women...a rule like this is because of teachings out of the Quran. 

No, it's politics and culture.

Why are you so determined to find the bad in religion? 

I know you've denied it in the past but it shows, at least, a degree of hate and as I said you'll be diminished by it.

1 hour ago, Itoero said:

You imo can't respect a religion which suppresses women.

Everybody deserves respect until they give you a reason not to, and blaming religion for the sins of politicians is not a reason not to.

20 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

The people deserve respect, just like anyone else.

Their religion doesn't- unless, you can finally show that it did something worthy of respect.

Then we're just talking past each other in a dead end tangent. 

Sometimes you have to pick up the right Quranic verses to convince people that Islam is not a Religion of terrorism .

The virgin birth of Jesus is supremely important in Islam, as one of the most important miracles of God.[citation needed] The first explicit mention of an annunciation foreshadowing the birth of Jesus is in sura 19 (Maryam), ayah 20 where Mary asks Gabriel (Jibril) how she will be able to conceive, when no man has touched her. Gabriel's reply assures Mary that for God all things are easy and that Jesus's virgin birth will be a sign for mankind.[21] The birth is later referred in sura 66 (At-Tahrim), ayah 12,[22] where the Quran states that Mary remained "pure", while God allowed a life to shape itself in Mary's womb. A third mention of the annunciation is in sura 3 (Al-Imran), ayat 42–43, where Mary is also given the glad tidings that she has been chosen above all the women of creation