A 'green' power source

A group of us have developed a 'new' wind powered energy source that works below wind speeds of 7 mph. We are on are 19th innovation. We are willing to describe our first innovative prototype so that others can/might follow on a parallel course.

First take some plastic thread spools and imbed short, flexible (hairlike) glass fibers around the spools. (Yes, we used needles to press holes in the spools for the homemade drawn glass fibers, and yes it is hard to do, but that's typical of prototypical work.) At each end of the spools attach (leave center hole clear) homemade wind cups that will catch the wind and spin the spool (if threaded on a teflon shaft, or similar). Arrange the spools on a shaft plus shaft support. Next make a homemade capacitor out of two flat squares of metal. Mount horizontally outside (yet under a roof or awning), and then mount the spool assembly over the top plate of the capacitor so that most of the glass fibers touch/brush that top plate as the wind spins the spools. Finally wrap the top plate with saran wrap or equivalent. The spinning spools/glass fibers will eventually charge the capacitor. How you bleed off the 'charges' is part of our additional prototypes, and can't be related here, of course. The rest is up to you. For additional circuit ideas (spark gaps, zener diodes, inverters, etc.) you can start by googling, say, radiant energy. Perhaps more later. We have pursued this project to couple with wind turbine technology that has shortcomings such as expense and not working in light breezes. And of course an isolated village could utilize this easy system. . . .

a

• 4 weeks later...

TerrysID:

here`s a further invention of mine that you`de be free to use if you wanted to.

you know these automatic door closers? the gas pump type with the arm.

instead of wasting that power everytime a door gets open and closed, set it up on a clock spring mechanism to a small Dynamo, it would do the exact same job, but the dc power could then be used to charge a battery for an emergency EXIT light above it.

use it if you want to :)

YT2095: At least you are attempting to innovate. Many good ideas start by accident, or absurd thought. (Gee, I wonder how I can improve this rubber. . . oops, I dropped it on this hot stove and ruined it.) And, by the way, we will patent the final version. ;#)

feel free to patent my idea too, there`s enough energy lost opening and closing a door esp in a busy place like an office or factory toilet to easily power an Emergency EXIT light :)

seems a shame to waste it!

and I`m NOT in it for the money, if it`s usefull and will help, USE IT! :)

YT2095: By the way one of what we call "kickers" (we have 18 other "kickers" coupled into the basic idea) can be found here. This will Knock you on your behind, so be cautious. (Now if I could patent the wind pushed away from my flexing biceps. . . ) ;#)

Keep in mind that our units are NOT primary power sources, but merely supplements to turbines during times of wind V below 7 mph (or for times when PV cells do not function such as at night or during heavy snows. . .)

similar apparatus can be used for converting radio sources.

you`ll need 2 germanium diodes.

(-) ----|>|----- (antenna) -----|>|------ (+)

this is often used in field strength meters, but will easily charge a battery in the proximity of a suitable source :)

Also sort of on-topic: http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/techinnovations/2005-07-10-laserweapons_x.htm?csp=N007&RM_Exclude=Juno. Anyhooo, can't disclose other "kickers" we ar eusing but will say they do give a smooth DC output economically. Good luck, all. Carry on. (Other hint--be aware of the triboelectric series/chart. Other combinations of materials will work.)

YT, you do know that most of the emergency Exit signs are powered by tritium compounds and phosphorescent materials, right? There's no need for batteries there as the radiation generates the light continuously. All hospitals use these types of emergency exit signs as they will still work even if the power goes out or there's a failed circuit someplace.

TerrysID: definitely patent that "idea" and don't wait for your final version. Then talk to me. I work for a company developing wind power.

Sincerely hope all of us are typing via 100% clean and renewable power. If you don't have your own solar system, or the like, maybe look into purchasing a Green Tag. Plently of companies out there offering them, if not your local utility.

Which one of you quoted: If we're not part of the solution, we're actively contributing to the problem?

des, thanks for consideration. However since all in our group are approaching 80's and 90's, we are of course not doing this for the enjoyment of profit -- we are indeed altruistic (due to age, and related) about our project(s). We will patent it, but just for credibility reasons. I am a retired engineer/applied scientist/QC manager, and we will follow thru to final version(s) for part of that reason (my background). In any event: Keep on keeping on. (My "throwaway" em address is tarrys.1@juno.com.)