Where does gravity (most likely) come from?

From the fundamental characteristics of the universe, so the same place matter and energy came from.  We just don't know the details. (Yet.)

Personal question - why are you joining the forum as multiple members?

21 minutes ago, dordle-loddle said:

Hello, I'm new to the forum.

If everything had a source, (like a mother and a child, or the sun and plants) then where did gravity come from?

Gravity is an effect of the curvature of space and time. That curvature is caused by the presence of mass or energy. As to where that comes from; that is just the way the universe works. I don't know that we can ever say "why" the universe is the way it is. That is more a question for philosophy or religion.

(And I'm not sure that everything does have a source.)

Edited by Strange

• 2 months later...

I have via research on the gravitation constant managed to couple Avogadros number ( as amount of neutons +protons ) to Newtons F=MG/r2  . It looks mush like gravitation would be in elementary particles and their features "before reaching  relativistic circumstances " , But where did they" come from"    url deleted

img001.jpg

img002.jpg

img011.jpg

img012.jpg

img009.jpg

On 7/30/2017 at 4:08 AM, dordle-loddle said:

If everything had a source, (like a mother and a child, or the sun and plants) then where did gravity come from?

With respect to cause-effect, in the "mother-child" scenario, I humbly suggest you add "father"; and I suggest your re-think the "sun-plants" example.

Is your question one of origins (of the Universe) or exactly how gravitation is related to matter?

Please advise.

3 hours ago, Timo Moilanen said:

I have via research on the gravitation constant managed to couple Avogadros number ( as amount of neutons +protons ) to Newtons F=MG/r2  . It looks mush like gravitation would be in elementary particles and their features "before reaching  relativistic circumstances " , But where did they" come from"     

!

Moderator Note

Speculations belong in their own thread in the speculations forum. You have a thread there; that is the only appropriate place to discuss this.

Link to your site has been removed. 

On 30.07.2017 at 10:08 AM, dordle-loddle said:

Hi dordle-loddle and welcome to the forum.

If you try to dig deeper to find out where the childs mother came from, soon you will end up asking where the big bang came from. Gravity in that sense in no different from wny other force, you will end up with the same phylosophical question wether you ask about gravity or electro magnetism or stron/weak nuclear force. Gravity is a bit different from the other forces in the sense that we do not have a complete picture of how it interacts with other forces but as Strange said, we know that it originates from matter/energy interacting with spacetime. No matter/energy - no gravity - no spacetime curvature. If you place matter/energy into spacetime - you always end up with curved spacetime and gravity.

On 7/30/2017 at 6:08 PM, dordle-loddle said:

Strange has given a correct answer, and I would advise you to consider carefully the answers of those with negative reputations in red. In my own words gravity is a property of the geometry of spacetime in the presence of mass. Any deeper meaning or why it arises is simply just how the universe works.

Have you heard of Richard Feynman? the following presents that scenario https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0r930Sn_8

48 minutes ago, beecee said:

gravity is a property of the geometry of spacetime in the presence of mass.

18 hours ago, koti said:

No matter/energy - no gravity - no spacetime curvature.

20 hours ago, scherado said:

Is your question one of origins (of the Universe) or exactly how gravitation is related to matter?

On 7/30/2017 at 4:08 AM, dordle-loddle said:

• 4 months later...

I think that gravity comes from the center of protons,netrones and electrones.Think about it.A lot of things are very similar even though they are tremendously different in size.For example the the planetary systems work very similar to the atoms.They have a core and much smaller particles(I think they're called) that orbit around them.Plus they are far away from the core for their size.And inside the planets(or some at least) the ore is very hot-contains a ton of energy.So in conclusion gravity is the force that is caused by the energy stored deep inside protons,netrones and electrons.Most likely from netrons only because I see no other reason for them to exist.

13 hours ago, billasker said:

I think that gravity comes from the center of protons,netrones and electrones. 

!

Moderator Note

Please confine any scientifically-supported conjecture to the speculations forum. responses in the mainstream forums should be mainstream science (i.e. not WAG "I think" ideas)

You might be better off asking questions, as there's a lot of physics in e.g. the existence of neutrons that has nothing to do with gravity. You should ask about that in a new thread.

14 hours ago, billasker said:

I think that gravity comes from the center of protons,netrones and electrones.Think about it.A lot of things are very similar even though they are tremendously different in size.For example the the planetary systems work very similar to the atoms.They have a core and much smaller particles(I think they're called) that orbit around them.Plus they are far away from the core for their size.And inside the planets(or some at least) the ore is very hot-contains a ton of energy.So in conclusion gravity is the force that is caused by the energy stored deep inside protons,netrones and electrons.Most likely from netrons only because I see no other reason for them to exist.

We know that gravity originates from mass/energy, they are equivalent under General Relativity as the famous E=mc^2 equation tells us. We currently do not observe any other sources of gravity and it is fairly certain that mass/energy is the only source. It is certain that mass/energy is required to curve spacetime which we perceive as gravity.