How do I get a simple compact list of what's going on?

Do I really need to know what swansont is doing every minute of the day?

xyz123456 joined the community

Do I really need to know when some ratbag spammer joins the forum?

Do I really need a list of the last 15 replies to a very active thread?

I certainly don't want to know any of this.

But what was needed and readily availble now takes me several screens to find and I still can't be sure that I have checked the threads I have an interest in.

Apparently every website now needs to be like a social network. Soon you'll be able to see pictures of every meal swansont has.

I know, I don't understand it either. To make it a bit easier I added an "Unread Topics" link under My Activity Streams, which takes you to see all unread topics, condenses the list, and has links to take you immediately to the first unread post. Is that more helpful to you? I'll be sure to add a separate "Swansont's Lunch" feed later.

I do miss the "most recent posts"  button a bit...  "unread content" and "recent activity" are similar, but as you say - includes every post, rep point, joining etc..  I did like the simple list of threads with the most recent activity. I'm sure we'll get used to it, it's only a little different. 

3 minutes ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

To make it a bit easier I added an "Unread Topics" link under My Activity Streams, which takes you to see all unread topics, condenses the list, and has links to take you immediately to the first unread post. 

This is pretty close to what we had before. Thanks for the addition. Much appreciated.

1 hour ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

Apparently every website now needs to be like a social network. Soon you'll be able to see pictures of every meal swansont has.

I thought that was Instagram

----

Another thing to update is your notifications settings. There's a link to it in account settings (on the right)

one thing that I'm finding annoying is "new topics" is showing all new posts. So if there's six posts in that topic, I see all six, rather than just a link to the topic.

swansont

one thing that I'm finding annoying is "new topics" is showing all new posts. So if there's six posts in that topic, I see all six, rather than just a link to the topic.

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

+1

PS I resisted the temptation to reply six times  :)

3 hours ago, hypervalent_iodine said:

Again, you can create custom streams to avoid this. I'll look into putting in one similar to the New Content from the old site later.

I have done this. What specific options will remove multiple entries from the same topic?

edit: AHA! I think "content items only" is the key 

2 hours ago, swansont said:

I have done this. What specific options will remove multiple entries from the same topic?

edit: AHA! I think "content items only" is the key 

Yes, I believe that is what does it. I can't seem to add a activity stream that already has this in place, so I guess the only way to get rid of the redundancy is by making your own stream. 

On 7/26/2017 at 6:34 AM, studiot said:

I thought that was the whole purpose of this forum. Well, that and denying ydoaPs a mod position. But we all know how that worked out.

On 7/26/2017 at 1:34 PM, studiot said:

The good thing about swansont is that when he has his game face on you can get to know what he is doing every 100 picoseconds of the day - none of this dangerous "60 seconds or so" time-keeping inaccuracy

11 minutes ago, CharonY said:

I thought that was the whole purpose of this forum. Well, that and denying ydoaPs a mod position. But we all know how that worked out.

the ydoaPs thing is just a long term practical joke - the denouement is set for sometime next decade

8 minutes ago, imatfaal said:

the ydoaPs thing is just a long term practical joke - the denouement is set for sometime next decade

You just reminded me that I joined over a decade ago. Bloody heck, who stole all that time?

1 minute ago, CharonY said:

You just reminded me that I joined over a decade ago. Bloody heck, who stole all that time?

Don't think of it as stolen - think of it as pissed away against a wall; hmm - that doesn't help much does it?  :rolleyes: