Do you think my life hack for killing mold growth will work?

Do you have the same problem as me? Mold growing at the bottom of your garbage can. Sure the bag holds most of the garbage

whether it be solid or liquid. However, some garbage material does leak through to the bottom of the can..usually liquid stuff like broth,

milk, water, chicken juice etc. After several weeks of cleaning the can with bleach, the mold is back again, feasting on my withdrawn garbage.

I've thought of different solutions that may keep the mold at bay. Can't used bleach or ammonia, cause of the smell, and vinegar and alcohol 

will evaporate away.

But then an idea struck me: Why not coat the bottom of the can with table salt? It doesn't smell, it's cheap, and it won't evaporate away. 

Your thoughts?

~ee

Edited by Elite Engineer

Try boric acid. I had to kill some heart-rot fungus in an Oak slab I was using for dendrochronology and while it took several applications it worked like a charm. I found a bottle of boric acid crystals in the drug section of a department store, but you might also find it at a farm/garden supply outlet.

5 minutes ago, EdEarl said:

They're just helping you turn it:)

I've got racoons and opossums. Cats take care of the mice.

It's possible to exclude little critters.

:lol: Rats are not mice and you better use a metal container or the rats will just chew through. While vegetable matter composts well enough, animal matter does not.

As to cats, letting them run free results in the death of billions of birds and other small critters every year. Not a good idea. While it's not illegal to allow cats to run free in my area, it is legal for homeowners to live trap them and take them to the animal control station. If one doesn't have a live trap, animal control will rent you one.

Another note on the OP; wash your canister after every use. No buildup, no mold.

21 hours ago, Elite Engineer said:

Do you have the same problem as me? Mold growing at the bottom of your garbage can. Sure the bag holds most of the garbage

whether it be solid or liquid. However, some garbage material does leak through to the bottom of the can..usually liquid stuff like broth,

milk, water, chicken juice etc. After several weeks of cleaning the can with bleach, the mold is back again, feasting on my withdrawn garbage.

I've thought of different solutions that may keep the mold at bay. Can't used bleach or ammonia, cause of the smell, and vinegar and alcohol 

will evaporate away.

But then an idea struck me: Why not coat the bottom of the can with table salt? It doesn't smell, it's cheap, and it won't evaporate away. 

Your thoughts?

~ee

What's the bin made from?
If it's metal then the sale will corrode it to hell and gone.
If it's plastic then salt (or washing soda) should work.