Typesetting equations with LaTeX: updated

Dave

After a recent update to our forum software, typesetting equations on SFN has changed a little bit. Although we are still using LaTeX, for a variety of reasons, we've elected to shift over from our custom-written LaTeX generator to the excellent MathJax library, which will take your equations from post text and render them in your browser.

Much as before, the idea is that in your post, you surround equations with special characters, and MathJax will convert the contained text into an equation for you. There's two types of equation that you can typeset:

• Inline math is displayed in the flow of a sentence, such as \( y= x^2 \). This example was produced by using the text \( y=x^2 \). Note that we do not support $ signs as most LaTeX users would be familiar with, since this occurs too frequently in text.
  • Display math breaks up a paragraph and can be used for typesetting larger equations such as \[ y = \int f(x) dx. \] The text then picks up afterwards. This example was produced by using the text \[ y = \int f(x) dx \] , which we note is exactly what one would type in a usual LaTeX document.

For reference, the old guide is still available and has a number of useful examples for those getting started.

Finally, please note that for legacy posts, the old  [math] [/math] tags will still continue to work and these will display equations as inline. However it's likely that older posts may look different to the way that they did before.

Imatfaal

[math] y = \int f(x) dx [/math]

Maybe it doesn't like your spaces, MathJax won't parse your code for me.

However

[math]y = \int {f\left( x \right)} dx[/math]

But you have to click on page refresh in your browser to get MathJax to activate.

SF has stooped to the (low) level of other forums.

Edited by studiot

51 minutes ago, Doctordick said:

y=f(x)dx

[LaTeX] y = \int f(x) dx [/LaTeX]

\] y = \int f(x) dx \]

How do I get latex to work???

\( equation in line \)
\[ equation in block \]

checking \(F=ma_{centripetal}=mr \omega^2 \)

\[ \omega^2=\frac{a_{centripetal}}{r} \]

Straight [latex] tags no longer work - although [math] tags apparently do - but it is much quicker to type as above

1 minute ago, Doctordick said:

Latex seems to work fine now. The problem was apparently in my presumption that it would work in the preview mode!!

And it seems that one must refresh to see it even when posted.  But I like the rendering, and loads of extra gadgets on right click.  The hover to zoom is very useful for those of us with imperfect vision

• 2 weeks later...

The error correction messages are of more exacting detail than the previous software as well.

Now the error messages provide a direction in the error string involved in more complex latex forms. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2017 at 3:57 PM, Dave said:

After a recent update to our forum software, typesetting equations on SFN has changed a little bit. Although we are still using LaTeX, for a variety of reasons, we've elected to shift over from our custom-written LaTeX generator to the excellent MathJax library, which will take your equations from post text and render them in your browser.

Much as before, the idea is that in your post, you surround equations with special characters, and MathJax will convert the contained text into an equation for you. There's two types of equation that you can typeset:

• Inline math is displayed in the flow of a sentence, such as y=x2 . This example was produced by using the text \( y=x^2 \). Note that we do not support $ signs as most LaTeX users would be familiar with, since this occurs too frequently in text.
  • Display math breaks up a paragraph and can be used for typesetting larger equations such as 
    y=f(x)dx.
    The text then picks up afterwards. This example was produced by using the text \[ y = \int f(x) dx \] , which we note is exactly what one would type in a usual LaTeX document.

For reference, the old guide is still available and has a number of useful examples for those getting started.

Finally, please note that for legacy posts, the old  [math] [/math] tags will still continue to work and these will display equations as inline. However it's likely that older posts may look different to the way that they did before.

\[ y = \int f(x) dx \]

• 1 month later...

\[\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x}= \frac{f(x+h)- f(x)}{h} \]

\[\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \frac{f(x+h)- f(x)}{h}\]

\[\Delta y \]

\[ y = \int f(x) dx \]

\[\Delta y \]

\[ y = \int f(x) dx \]

I got it working now, except the last one , integral doesn't like me.

Now it all works. I noticed there was a message saying something like "pasted as rich text, paste as plain text instead" which I choose and then the integral also worked.

Edited by 113

Works for me:

[math]\frac{\Delta y}{\Delta x} = \frac{f(x+h)- f(x)}{h}[/math]

[math]y = \int{ f(x) dx }[/math]

@113

nothing seems to be working

After sending message with Latex you need to refresh website..  It's very annoying, because if you have error in manually typed Latex, you will have to reedit multiple times, prior there is final error-free version. Older version of forum software allowed to preview post with Latex prior sending it.

Edited by Sensei

• 11 months later...
On 10/5/2019 at 11:37 PM, mathematic said:

Instructions should include how to bracket statements.  math and /math inside [] works.  Does anything else?

As noted in the first post, you can use math tags: [ math] y = x^2 [/math] => [math] y = x^2 [/math] or

Inline brackets: \ ( y = x^2 \) => \( y = x^2 \) or

Display brackets:

\ [ y = x^2 \]  => \[ y = x^2 \] 

(I have added some extra spaces to show the markup.)

• 5 months later...
5 hours ago, RAGORDON2010 said:

test

(S2)=((ct)2)((x2+y2+z2))

Need help here.  Why isn't this being transcribed?

You need [math] tags around the Latex. (Note that there is also a bug in the forum SW that means it won't be rendered until you refresh the page)

• 3 weeks later...

I will try to figure out bold math symbols.

Simply typing everything in bold: S^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2 makes \(S^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2 \) so doesn't do anything.

Using bm: \bm{S^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2} produces \(\bm{S^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2}\).

With mathbf: \mathbf{S^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2} \(\mathbf{S^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2} \) it works almost like it should, except for the missing italics.

There is a mathrm, so why not \mathit{\mathbf{S^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2} }? \(\mathit{\mathbf{S^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2} }\). Nope.

Or maybe \mathbf{\mathit{S^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2} }: \(\mathbf{\mathit{S^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2} }\). Interesting.

And the slow approach \boldsymbol{S}^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2: \(\boldsymbol{S}^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2\).

But \boldsymbol{S^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2} \(\boldsymbol{S^2 = (ct)^2 - x^2 - y^2}\) actually nearly does it. Neat. But now the = and - are bold too.

So it must be \boldsymbol{S}^2 = (\boldsymbol{ct})^2 - \boldsymbol{x}^2 - \boldsymbol{y}^2: \(\boldsymbol{S}^2 = (\boldsymbol{ct})^2 - \boldsymbol{x}^2 - \boldsymbol{y}^2\). Tedious but alright.

Maybe \bs: \bs{S}^2 = (\bs{ct})^2 - \bs{x}^2 - \bs{y}^2? \(\bs{S}^2 = (\bs{ct})^2 - \bs{x}^2 - \bs{y}^2\). Well, then not. Done with this.

Edited by taeto

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...