Jump to content

Welcome to the upgraded SFN


Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, DrKrettin said:

That would be really useful information to somebody who knows how to customise a stream. Any clues?

In the ribbon along the top frame
Activity>My activity streams>Custom stream

There are lots of options there. I'm not sure what all of them do, but many are self-explanatory
"take me first unread post" is in the "read status" options

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I could've sworn there was a thread for comments/problems about new forum software, but I cannot seem to find it...

Most annoying features:

-Double spaced posts

-Missing "preview post" feature before submittal

I am pretty sure others have commented on those two features.. but I am unable to find those threads. If a solution was found, please link to it.

Feature I suggest:

-automatically save new post content after like 30 seconds or so.

It sometimes takes me several sittings to complete a post, so it would be nice if the text is saved and carries over till next time so that I do not have to discard and start over (well, I currently just e-mail the text to myself as a workaround). Not sure if that's possible with this software; I've seen it on XenForo-powered forums, though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Sicarii said:

It sometimes takes me several sittings to complete a post, so it would be nice if the text is saved and carries over till next time so that I do not have to discard and start over (well, I currently just e-mail the text to myself as a workaround). Not sure if that's possible with this software; I've seen it on XenForo-powered forums, though.

I've just done a test post, gone to another site, come back to this page and my entry is still there when I click on the input box. I went away from the page immediately after making a second test post as well to see when it kicked in and seems to save it straightaway.

Edited by StringJunky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I've just done a test post, gone to another site, come back to this page and my entry is still there when I click on the input box. I went away from the page immediately after making a second test post as well to see when it kicked in and seems to save it straightaway.

You are right, I did not notice this before.

Good to know, thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just found something easy and useful. To quote extracts of a post: highlight the desired section and and a little "quote this" label shows up. Click that,  you then have a a named and time-stamped quote in your input box. 

quote.thumb.PNG.a4abc88bce80a4a461040b37d66687f8.PNG

 

Edited by StringJunky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/1/2017 at 9:06 PM, Sicarii said:

Most annoying features:

-Double spaced posts

-Missing "preview post" feature before submittal

I am pretty sure others have commented on those two features.. but I am unable to find those threads. If a solution was found, please link to it.

The editor is supposed to WYSIWYG, so "preview post" would show you the same thing as you were just looking at. Is there a particular case where it doesn't look right and you need a way to check it?

The editor automatically inserts a new paragraph whenever you hit Enter, so there's a break between paragraphs. If you don't want a new paragraph, you can hit Shift-Enter to just get a new line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Test 3.. Still no link button. Does this forum not count towards post count because I still can't see the link button? 

Edit: Logged out then logged back in again and I can see the link button now. A new user can still post a URL from the first post though. 

Edited by crafty41
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

The editor is supposed to WYSIWYG, so "preview post" would show you the same thing as you were just looking at. Is there a particular case where it doesn't look right and you need a way to check it?

The editor automatically inserts a new paragraph whenever you hit Enter, so there's a break between paragraphs. If you don't want a new paragraph, you can hit Shift-Enter to just get a new line.

I can't think of a particular case at the moment, and I don't think there is; if something comes up, I will be sure to inform you.

Thank you for your help on navigating the spacing issue in the posts.

Furthermore, the old software combined consecutive posts by the same user into one post, but that feature seems to have been removed by the update. It was a nice feature and kept the threads tidy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Sicarii said:

I can't think of a particular case at the moment, and I don't think there is; if something comes up, I will be sure to inform you.

Thank you for your help on navigating the spacing issue in the posts.

Furthermore, the old software combined consecutive posts by the same user into one post, but that feature seems to have been removed by the update. It was a nice feature and kept the threads tidy.

Yes, it does seem a bit messy not automatically merging.

Edited by StringJunky
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To see the content I recently participated in I go to Activity->My activity streams->Content I posted in. Is there any other, shorter way of seeing the content I participate in? Also is there any way like in the previous engine to see unread content where the thread titles were bolded out and the no activity content was not bolded out? Im still getting used to the new GUI, I have to say though that the whole thing seems more stable and glitch free. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I feel the adaptation effort and amount of new bugs were far better than for most other software updates. Already comfortable after 1-2 posts, and the new version does bring some advantages.

But I miss some features:

  • The old message addresses are improperly translated! They send only to the top address of the thread. That would be very important to me, as I have and use big lists of shortcuts. Useful for instance to refer in a new thread to an older one. Could someone please fix this?
  • I'd enjoy an indication of the time when a message was posted, not just the day. And I'd prefer a date and time over "just now", "today" or "yesterday".
  • Is it still so? Scienceforums used to merge successive posts from one author within a day, I feel within an hour would be better.

Cheers!

Edited by Enthalpy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Enthalpy said:

The old message addresses are improperly translated! They send only to the top address of the thread. That would be very important to me, as I have and use big lists of shortcuts. Useful for instance to refer in a new thread to an older one. Could someone please fix this?

Could you give me some examples of links which no longer work?

2 hours ago, Enthalpy said:

I'd enjoy an indication of the time when a message was posted, not just the day. And I'd prefer a date and time over "just now", "today" or "yesterday".

If you hover your mouse over the "2 hours ago" text, you should get the exact date and time. Relative times are for some reason fashionable now.

2 hours ago, Enthalpy said:

Is it still so? Scienceforums used to merge successive posts from one author within a day, I feel within an hour would be better.

I just found the setting for this and enabled it, for posts made within an hour of each other.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.