Welcome to the upgraded SFN

Hi Cap'n

Just wanted to thank you and Dave for your hard work. I like many others had to go through a  period of adjustment but I think the upgrade has turned out really well. 

BTW a long time ago I did some web page hosting. If you want to know how long ago I was on a dell running Window's 95 and now my computer is a  Galaxy S8. How things change.

21 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

That's not successful with all members, any reason why not Cap'n?

What about clicking on their name and opening their profile? There's a "message" button to the right of the user name, next to the "follow" button.

3 minutes ago, swansont said:

What about clicking on their name and opening their profile? There's a "message" button to the right of the user name, next to the "follow" button.

Thanks for the advice, but I've, recently, learnt not every member wants to be contacted privately.

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

That's not successful with all members, any reason why not Cap'n?

Some people (*cough*) have messaging disabled. I can't imagine why; maybe one too many offensive messages received at some point.

The mods probably wouldn't notice as they can't be blocked in this way. (They can't be put on ignore either - as I found out on another forum when one of them "went rogue".)

BTW: where are the rules now? The link at the bottom of the page seems to have disappeared...

OK: Just spotted the Guidelines link at the top of the page.

Edited by Strange

20 minutes ago, Strange said:

Some people (*cough*) have messaging disabled. I can't imagine why; maybe one too many offensive messages received at some point.

The mods probably wouldn't notice as they can't be blocked in this way. (They can't be put on ignore either - as I found out on another forum when one of them "went rogue".)

BTW: where are the rules now? The link at the bottom of the page seems to have disappeared...

OK: Just spotted the Guidelines link at the top of the page.

Fair enough.

Hi Cap'n, answering to your message on Tuesday:

for instance this address used to send to a message on Aug 3, 2014 beginning with "A mission to Jupiter's moon Europa"
http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/76627-solar-thermal-rocket/page-2#entry820007
but presently it sends to the beginning of the page. The proper translation to the new address would have been
http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/76627-solar-thermal-rocket/?do=findComment&comment=820007
so maybe the address translator doesn't do its job completely.

Found the date-and-time feature, but had no opportunity up to now to test the message merging. Thanks!

Edited by Enthalpy

6 minutes ago, Enthalpy said:

for instance this address used to send to a message on Aug 3, 2014 beginning with "A mission to Jupiter's moon Europa"
http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/76627-solar-thermal-rocket/page-2#entry820007
but presently it sends to the beginning of the page. The proper translation to the new address would have been
http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/76627-solar-thermal-rocket/?do=findComment&comment=820007
so maybe the address translator doesn't do its job completely.

That's frustrating. Unfortunately the fragment identifier (the #entry820007 part) is not sent to the server but stays in your browser, so I can't have the server automatically rewrite it. They appear to have been renamed to the form #comment-820007 without regard to the possibility of breaking bookmarks. If there's some way you can write a script to edit your bookmarks, you could replace #entry with #comment- and I think all the links would work.

21 hours ago, Strange said:

This isn't true. I tried to send a message to a user *cough* the other day and found I couldn't. 

Did the PM and new reply notification buttons at the top right of the screen (an envelope and a bell) beside the profile settings drop-down just disappear and get replaced with a Create button for anyone else?

7 minutes ago, iNow said:

Did the PM and new reply notification buttons at the top right of the screen (an envelope and a bell) beside the profile settings drop-down just disappear and get replaced with a Create button for anyone else?

No.I have both.(on a PC)

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Hover over the heart  then the green or red arrows show.

Any ideas how to approach on a mobile device such as a tablet? When I press and hold down, it asks me if I want to copy, open in a new tab, save image, etc.

Never mind... just press and let go. Both options THEN appear. Thanks String

Edited by iNow

8 hours ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

Another update: We've gone from IPB version 4.1 to version 4.2, which fixes some security issues and bugs and tweaks the look just a bit. (Don't ask me why...) Let us know if there are any new bugs.

Will this upgrade fix iNow calling people dicks at politics threads?

Edited by koti

6 minutes ago, koti said:

Will this upgrade fix iNow calling people dick at politics threads?

From this page: http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/102778-the-impeachment-of-trump/?page=26. See previous several posts for context:

So, do you think I'm saying all white males are racist?

Do you take issue with my use of the term males and failure to explicitly call out female white supremacists?

Are you just being a dick?

Though, by raising it here off-topic in the forum announcements section several weeks later, you're apparently answering in the affirmative.