Welcome to the upgraded SFN

9 minutes ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

If someone invented a way to prevent people on the internet from being dicks to each other, they would soon be very rich indeed.

This tells me a couple of things one of which is you're not very rich Cap'n. Aw shucks than.

On 9/4/2017 at 5:09 PM, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

Another update: We've gone from IPB version 4.1 to version 4.2, which fixes some security issues and bugs and tweaks the look just a bit. (Don't ask me why...) Let us know if there are any new bugs.

Hello, Cap'n. Since the latest update, my Windows8 smartphone can't stay logged into the forum website for more than a few seconds. I can log in but then, after those few seconds, the whole browser shuts down. Other websites aren't affected at all, and everything worked perfectly on this website before the update.  Any advice? Thanks. ( I'm logged-in on my PC at the moment ).

38 minutes ago, Tub said:

Hello, Cap'n. Since the latest update, my Windows8 smartphone can't stay logged into the forum website for more than a few seconds. I can log in but then, after those few seconds, the whole browser shuts down. Other websites aren't affected at all, and everything worked perfectly on this website before the update.  Any advice? Thanks. ( I'm logged-in on my PC at the moment ).

I have a Windows phone. What browser?

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

I have a Windows phone. What browser?

Hello, SJ.  The browser is the version of Internet Explorer which is bundled with Windows 8.1. Sorry i don't know exactly what version of IE that is, although, in Settings,my website preference has always been set at " mobile version ".

Edit: I've just managed to fix things: i had been logging into the website from my saved " favourites " folder and  so i decided to delete that and  re-enter the web address directly into the browser  which worked perfectly. I then saved the web address in " favourites " again, tried to access that way again and  failed again so i guess that in future i'll just have to re-enter the web-address directly into the browser. Thanks for your reply anyway.

Edit:. As i have just told Cap'n Refsmaat  below, the fix turned out to be only temporary. Back to square one.:(

Edited by Tub
repair

1 hour ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

By "the whole browser shuts down", do you mean it just crashes and disappears? That sounds like a bug with Windows Phone; can you check you have the latest software updates installed on your phone?

Hello again, Cap'n. I was just about to post a reply to SringJunky when you posted so i'll post that after this post. (It's actually appeared above your reply to me ). Yes, the whole browser just crashes and disappears, though i can use it  immediately again for other websites without a problem.   What i was saying to SJ was that i found a  fix by entering the web-address directly into the browser rather than by accessing the address from my " Saved Favourites " folder and that method works fine. Still can't get access from the SF folder though. I'll check for updates. Thanks. If you read my reply to StringJunky above, there's a little more information that might be relevant.

Edit: Just checked and my phone-settings are all updated but unfortunately my fix seems to have only been temporary, and the browser crashed again, even after i entered the address directly.:(

Edit 2: I e-mailed a link to a thread to my phone and i find i can navigate ok , from that link ,through  the other forums on the same page  that contains that thread and others,  but as soon as i access the " Home " page the browser crashes again. Puzzling.

Edited by Tub
info

1 hour ago, Tub said:

Hello again, Cap'n. I was just about to post a reply to StringJunky when you posted so i'll post that after this post. (It's actually appeared above your reply to me ). Yes, the whole browser just crashes and disappears, though i can use it  immediately again for other websites without a problem.   What i was saying to SJ was that i found a  fix by entering the web-address directly into the browser rather than by accessing the address from my " Saved Favourites " folder and that method works fine. Still can't get access from the SF folder though. I'll check for updates. Thanks. If you read my reply to StringJunky above, there's a little more information that might be relevant.

Edit: Just checked and my phone-settings are all updated but unfortunately my fix seems to have only been temporary, and the browser crashed again, even after i entered the address directly.:(

Sorry to quote myself, but part of my Edit 2 wasn't saved  properly for some reason and i couldn't alter it in that post. Anyway, for a little more clarity, it should read as follows:

Edit 2: I e-mailed a link to a page of a thread to my phone and i find i can navigate ok, from that link, to and from the other forums that are linked to that forum that contains the linked page: i.e. i linked to a page in General Philosophy and from there can access the Religion and Ethics pages and their threads without a problem, but, as soon as i navigate to the website Home page, the browser crashes again. Puzzling.

12 minutes ago, Tub said:

Ha, ha.  On reflection, perhaps i should have just said Windows8 phone.  No offence intended, Bill...well maybe just a little.:)

I was at a work conference 2 years ago in Vegas. Was having cocktails with a colleague of mine from Vancouver while waiting for a few clients to join us. As we sat there, he whipped out this device that was the size of a lunchbox, but without the cool retro nostalgic childhood memories factor. We were clowning on him quite a bit and he sat there deadpan banging on about his awesome new Blackberry Passport and how Blackberry was "making a comeback, just you watch! soon everyone will have one of these!!" 

Good times. :D

2 hours ago, Tub said:

Sorry to quote myself, but part of my Edit 2 wasn't saved  properly for some reason and i couldn't alter it in that post. Anyway, for a little more clarity, it should read as follows:

Edit 2: I e-mailed a link to a page of a thread to my phone and i find i can navigate ok, from that link, to and from the other forums that are linked to that forum that contains the linked page: i.e. i linked to a page in General Philosophy and from there can access the Religion and Ethics pages and their threads without a problem, but, as soon as i navigate to the website Home page, the browser crashes again. Puzzling.

You should be on W10 now. Don't you just hate Linux fanboys and iPhones are for old people and computer neophytes. :)

1 minute ago, Strange said:

Well, I suppose one of those describes me ... :mellow:

You resemble that remark. :)  I only got a Windows phone because I wanted a big phone (5.7") and the price was good.  I use Android phones as well. I'm too poor to join the Apple ecosystem and there's lots i don't like about Apple. One irrational reason is that they are too trendy for me. :) They are good for those groups because they are setup well from the off and the paths to getting things done are relatively straightforward. 

Hello,

I have a few questions:

Is there an introduction section?

Is there any information as to permitted html or other format-related tags?

Why do birds suddenly appear?

What is the reason I can't alter my profile?

I have more questions but...I don't want to get banned before my first real post.

-scherado

22 minutes ago, scherado said:

Hello,

I have a few questions:

Is there an introduction section?

Is there any information as to permitted html or other format-related tags?

Why do birds suddenly appear?

What is the reason I can't alter my profile?

I have more questions but...I don't want to get banned before my first real post.

-scherado

Hi

You can introduce yourself here: 

There should be an Edit Profile button top right of your profile page.

Edited by StringJunky

6 hours ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

By "the whole browser shuts down", do you mean it just crashes and disappears? That sounds like a bug with Windows Phone; can you check you have the latest software updates installed on your phone?

Hello again, Cap'n. Just to add a little to my other posts above, i think i've isolated the problem on my Windows8.1 phone and it seems to be just unable to load the Home page. The phone  is definitely updated and works properly in every other way, so the problem seems to be confined to some issue between the phone and the Scienceforums Home page, as i've been able to access all the forums and subforums through the back-door as it were:

e-mail link----General Philosophy----All Activity----- Past Hour/Today, then accessing the different threads through their blue banner headlines, then working backwards through the various subforums and forums to whatever thread i want to visit. It's slow doing it this way but it does work and everything is  fine - but only until i try to go to the Home page, when the browser ( IE ) crashes every time. This has only happened after the latest update and no other website Homepage i visit causes the browser to crash. It mystifies me that i can access every page on the website apart from the Home page. Hope you can help.Thanks.

11 minutes ago, scherado said:

I was not permitted to alter (edit) my profile, the button for which I found.

Depending on what changes you're trying to make, they may not be permitted until you have a few posts. We restrict some profile features because spam robots use them to post spam links.

7 minutes ago, Tub said:

Hello again, Cap'n. Just to add a little to my other posts above, i think i've isolated the problem on my Windows8.1 phone and it seems to be just unable to load the Home page.

This is bizarre, and I don't know why it'd be happening apart from a bug in Internet Explorer on Windows Phone. I wish I had advice to give you, but I don't have a Windows Phone and don't know how to debug this issue further.

1 hour ago, Cap'n Refsmmat said:

This is bizarre, and I don't know why it'd be happening apart from a bug in Internet Explorer on Windows Phone. I wish I had advice to give you, but I don't have a Windows Phone and don't know how to debug this issue further.

Yes, it is very bizarre.  At least i can still easily access the website on my PC. If i ever get to the bottom of the problem, i'll let you know what has happened. Thanks for your replies.

Maybe a cookie setting or similar issue is involved. If the site's logging you out, it could be because your authentication credentials are being lost as you navigate from page to page. The idea being that each time a different page loads the site sees you as a brand new person. The login you entered on the previous page maybe isn't coming with you. 

Or maybe you need to click the Remember Me checkbox...

Edited by iNow

8 hours ago, iNow said:

Maybe a cookie setting or similar issue is involved. If the site's logging you out, it could be because your authentication credentials are being lost as you navigate from page to page. The idea being that each time a different page loads the site sees you as a brand new person. The login you entered on the previous page maybe isn't coming with you. 

Or maybe you need to click the Remember Me checkbox...

Thanks iNow. Unfortunately, i can't try out your idea of ticking the Remember Me checkbox,  when i'm on my phone, as the browser crashes before i can sign-in. What's worse, i tried a new browser on my phone, instead of Internet Explorer, and that worked fine until that crashed too before i could sign-out! Now it looks like i'm  permanently signed-in ,lol. Shakespeare was right: " When sorrows come, they come not in single spies, but in battalions". :(

Edit: Now, 10 minutes later, i'm not signed-in! Think i'll just go back to bed

Edited by Tub
edit

3 hours ago, Tub said:

Thanks iNow. Unfortunately, i can't try out your idea of ticking the Remember Me checkbox,  when i'm on my phone, as the browser crashes before i can sign-in. What's worse, i tried a new browser on my phone, instead of Internet Explorer, and that worked fine until that crashed too before i could sign-out! Now it looks like i'm  permanently signed-in ,lol. Shakespeare was right: " When sorrows come, they come not in single spies, but in battalions". :(

Edit: Now, 10 minutes later, i'm not signed-in! Think i'll just go back to bed

You could try refreshing your phone or even just rebooting it.

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

You could try refreshing your phone or even just rebooting it.

Thanks for the advice, SJ. I've already tried just about everything without success so it looks like a new phone is needed. On another matter, perhaps related to this, my user-name is permanently displayed on the Home page even after i've signed out! :huh: