Exploding Stones

Guest Roychipoqua

Guest Roychipoqua

Hello. I just heard that some rocks can explode if you heat them up enough. I know that they are more likely to explode if they are porrous and water filled because the steam inside will burst open, but this is all I know. Has anyone ever experienced this, and should I try it, or is it too dangerous?

Yes they do explode. That is why you don't use those nice round ones from the streambed when making your campfire.

As for making them explode, I've been using the fire and water method to break up granite floaters since I was a kid. :D

ANY material is subject to hot/cold expansion/contraction respectively. of course the more binding energy the material has, the more violent the release of stored energy when it does tip that ballance.

and rocks being rocks, are somewhat unknown due their making and so it maybe just a silent split or shards than can fly and penetrate steel several metres away.

not a gamble worth taking, that`s why it`s usualy best to use existing campfire rings or throw a load of stones into a large fire and go for an hours hike away from them, the one that "Live" can be used next day :)