Splitting water at home

JWalker

I went to the doctor and he said everything was fine except there was a fine piece of shrapnel in mt "aqueous humor"? I think he called it which he removed in under 5 minutes, he also said that I was extremely lucky. And in answer to everyones question it is very likely that some escaped because I filled these bags over a 2 week period while full bags were just sitting around probably leaking some.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, he's full of crap. If he had 8 75 gallon bags filled with hydrogen, that would be 2271.25 Liters of Hydrogen gas which is about 101 moles of hydrogen. That means that it would have taken 2.25 straight DAYS of electrolysis using 100 amps of current. There is no way that could have taken place. The charger would have been drained severely, or overheated thus producing less current than expected. Also, over that period of time the hydrogen would have quickly escaped from those trash bags as hydrogen molecules are incredibly small and will readily escape anything.

I'm sorry, but I 100% don't buy this story. It's possible that he made some hydrogen and ignited it, but there is no way he did it to the extent he is trying to make us all believe.

It pissed down rain for 5/6 days and this is the first sunny day we've had in a week. Yeah it got to about 18 degrees today but its usualy cooler tops of about 15.

Not to get off topic' date=' but that's a lot of rain. Is it usually like that? 15's not that bad, nothin' like winter in Chicago - negative temps [i']farenheit[/i]... Around -20 celcius, I guesstimate. But we do get a fair amount of snow. Brisbane is around 20 or so, right?

Back on topic, I too tend to give people benefit of the doubt. I've seen plenty of unbelievable things in my short lifetime, and one of my mottoes is to never underestimate the stupidity of the general American public. Not saying that JWalker is incredibly stupid, he just didn't know how powerful hydrogen was... And, well, he was a bit of an idiot when he didn't think about saftey. ;) Glad you aren't seriously hurt, though. And it's feasible, with 2 weeks or so, even with that much hydrogen, there's going to be a lot of leakage. So from now on, play with the fiery things outside the house, and in much smaller quantities. :D Get some rest, too.

Not saying that JWalker is incredibly stupid

why not?

he is on Either count.

A) he`s telling lies and therefore doesn`t belong here.

B) firing a bottle rocket at bags of hydrogen INDOORS, isn`t stupid???

well if it ain`t I don`t know what is! in fact firing a bottle rocket indoors is well retarded alone! :(

Guys' date=' he's full of crap. If he had 8 75 gallon bags filled with hydrogen, that would be 2271.25 Liters of Hydrogen gas which is about 101 moles of hydrogen. That means that it would have taken 2.25 straight DAYS of electrolysis using 100 amps of current. There is no way that could have taken place. The charger would have been drained severely, or overheated thus producing less current than expected. Also, over that period of time the hydrogen would have quickly escaped from those trash bags as hydrogen molecules are incredibly small and will readily escape anything.

I'm sorry, but I 100% don't buy this story. It's possible that he made some hydrogen and ignited it, but there is no way he did it to the extent he is trying to make us all believe.[/quote']

Well, he just said he did it slowly but surely in two weeks. All you have to do is plug it into mains electricity with a computer power supply or something else of the sort and run it constantly. The rate that hydrogen was being produced could have surpassed the rate at which it was being produced. In reality, he probably had far less than one bag of hydrogen in all - but the increased surface area of it, as well as the (relatively) high concentration of hydrogen around it from the diffusion, is really quite explosive. Here's a good analogy - take grain. Doesn't burn very well, does it? Put it in a silo, let it sit for a while, let the grain dust get into the air, and light a match. There goes the entire silo and the barn next to it. You can try the same principle with flour dust. It doesn't take much hydrogen to be extremely explosive.

I have to admit though, a picture of where your desk was would be quite a deterrent for people wanting to do this themselves.\

[Edit: YT, I should have placed more emphasis on the incredibly part of "incredibly stupid." Yeah, either way it was pretty dumb. But I've seen much, much, MUCH worse out of adults, so I don't put much past people. Ever heard of the Real Darwin Awards?]

regardless of how much hydrogen or not was present, the act of TRYING to do is nothing short of Moronic!

and then Bragging about it LOL, and with respect to the darwin Awards, the majority of them were Accidents, this would Hardly qualify!

It does seem unbelievable but he did say he filled the bags over a period of 2 weeks, and why would someone make up a story of shooting a rocket at bags of hydrogen and half his house being destroyed and burnt. Jwalker i would like to see pictures or a picture if possible but it is not physically impossible for this to happen. And what about neighbors? where do you live? dont you think there would be a newspaper article on it i mean its not everyday you walk outside and see your neighbors house windows get blown out, etc.

Who knows. The only way that we could ever know for sure if he did or now would be a picture, and even those are getting unreliable these days. *Shifty eyes* :P And if we don't see a picture, we won't know one way or the other for sure.

i agree that he is not incredibly stupid. I think he is stupendously stupid! anybody who has seen a few party balloons of pure H2 would at least do it outside if at all. (i wonder why his house didn't ignite if it structurally survived the explosion). i'm not expecting any pictures though. a bit offtopic but still related, did any of you people hear about that guy in arkansas (or however you spell it i'm not an american) who blew up his mobile home by looking for water in the fuel tank with a cigarette lighter?

There's worse, much, much worse. Like the guy who replaced a blown fuse with a bullet to restore power. He had a couple minutes of power... And then was shot when the bullet heated to such a temperature that the primer inside ignited. The Darwin Awards, which I referred to in a previous post, are given out to people who kill themselves (unintentionally) in the most stupid of ways. Quite entertaining. And rather pathetic.

Oh, and you spelled Arkansas correctly, insane_alien.

As far as the house not igniting, it's quite believable that it didn't. A hydrogen explosion like that (with a lot of diffused gas around) would take place extremely quickly - albeit at a very high temperature - and the chances of catching something else on fire aren't that great, especially if everything nearby that was flammable was destroyed by the explosion. Have you ever lit a sock on fire? There's a very quick flashburn as all of the "fuzzies" burn, and then the fire goes out. There simply isn't enough oomph in the burning of the fuzzies to catch the rest of the sock on fire. I would think it would work in the same way, although he never actually said that other stuff didn't catch on fire.

How's that for scientific wording? :D

like remember that mythbusters where they put like 20 cans of the bug killer gas bombs in the house and closed the doors and windows and after like 5 minutes remotely lit the stove? The explosion happened much slower than an H2 explosion wouldve and the house filled with flames, but nothing at a caught on fire. I think these types of things are called flash fires.

Have you ever lit a sock on fire? There's a very quick flashburn as all of the "fuzzies" burn' date=' and then the fire goes out. There simply isn't enough oomph in the burning of the fuzzies to catch the rest of the sock on fire. I would think it would work in the same way, although he never actually said that other stuff didn't catch on fire.

How's that for scientific wording? :D[/quote']

YES! I've done that many, many times. It's really cool in the winter because it leaves your feet all warm and fuzzy afterwards. It only sucks when the hair on your ankle ignites as well. That kind of smells bad. heh. Otherwise, it's really neat how the blue flame engulfs your feet, but you don't feel any heat at all from the burning. Only a nice warmth engulfing your feet.

Not to get off topic, but that's a lot of rain. Is it usually like that? 15's not that bad, nothin' like winter in Chicago - negative temps farenheit... Around -20 celcius, I guesstimate. But we do get a fair amount of snow. Brisbane is around 20 or so, right?

Yeah your right that is a hell of a lot of rain for Ssydney, Were in a major drought right now so rain is very rare. I used to live in the states(Iowa) many years ago and it is deffinately warmer here. Also Brisbane is generally warmer then Sydney throughout the year.

Back on topic though, I think JWalker needs to provide some photos, after all this is a science forum and you need to provide evidence to claims.

~Scott

you`ll be waiting a LONG time then!

either you`ll get excuses about no cam (it probably got destroyed in the blast), or he`ll fake something. there IS always the chance that he`ll never appear here under the same name again tho :)

and if he DOES produce pics, it`ll just serve to confirm that he IS a Moron and deserved all he got :)

now while I`m at it....

YES! I've done that many, many times. It's really cool in the winter because it leaves your feet all warm and fuzzy afterwards. It only sucks when the hair on your ankle ignites as well. That kind of smells bad. heh. Otherwise, it's really neat how the blue flame engulfs your feet, but you don't feel any heat at all from the burning. Only a nice warmth engulfing your feet.

YT2095 serves Jdurg and Calbiterol with a Destruction of Socks warning!