Game of Thrones

Itoero

• 2 weeks later...

this was an amazing episode...for me it was by far the best episode so far...

Daenerys should have saved the High Garden loot though.

They of course had to try to kill Drogon but now they know about the weapon...

Edited by Itoero

On 8/7/2017 at 1:33 PM, bimbo36 said:

I thought LOST was the best Tv series out there .

Lost after season 2 started going downhill, in my opinion.

Still a great show; I wouldn't say 'best' though.

Edited by Sicarii

On 7/22/2017 at 1:11 AM, Thorham said:

I couldn't even finish the first episode.

Keep watching -- BB starts off really slow.

When I started watching it, I watched first 3 episodes and stopped... only to binge watch the whole thing when my Facebook blew up about the series finale, some 3 years later.

On 8/10/2017 at 9:30 AM, JohnDoeLS said:

Game of Thrones definitely isn't nihilistic and kill off good characters at random, if it was, Jamie and Bronn would be dead the moment that Dragon showed up. 

Spoiler

It's never been random because there is a storyline that is followed.

I thought Jamie charging at Dany and her dragon was pointless. Everyone knew he's not going to die, as the most prevailing theory right now is that Jamie and Cersei will die together. They probably did it to pave way for Tyrion/Jamie reunion, as we saw in the preview.

Having said that, I wasn't as surprised by Bronn saving Jamie as I was with Jamie charging head on. Without Jamie, he's nothing. Cersei doesn't like him, and he has no lands, no title, and no money. Jamie's word is all he has -- if Jamie dies, there goes his future.

Edited by Sicarii
Fix spoiler.

17 hours ago, Lord Antares said:
  Hide contents

I don't understand why Jamie couldn't have thrown that spear, instead of charging like an idiot. It would have solved all the problms and perhaps ended the war.

Perhaps Drogon would have killed all people in sight if he lost his mommy...that would have ended the war. :) 

2 hours ago, Itoero said:

Perhaps Drogon would have killed all people in sight if he lost his mommy...that would have ended the war. :) 

It doesn't really make much sense.

Spoiler

Why couldn't he have done that anyway if he was able to? He was wounded and losing his mommy, literally the enemy number 1, would definitely help the Lannisters.

27 minutes ago, Lord Antares said:

It doesn't really make much sense.

Hide contents

Why couldn't he have done that anyway if he was able to? He was wounded and losing his mommy, literally the enemy number 1, would definitely help the Lannisters.

I Think Daenerys prevented Drogon from killing everyone, she prefers to burn loot...If it was her plan to burn everyone then she would've come with her 3 dragons and It would make her look like a mad queen.

10 minutes ago, Itoero said:

I Think Daenerys prevented Drogon from killing everyone, she prefers to burn loot...If it was her plan to burn everyone then she would've come with her 3 dragons and It would make her look like a mad queen.

Spoiler

Still, it doesn't explain why Jaime couldn't have thrown the spear. He was going to stab her anyway.

Also, I encourage the use of spoiler tags. Especially since the new activity feed displays the whole posts.

What does everyone make of the Magnificent Seven? Quite the pack of warriors, I'd say.

Davos Seaforth, Berek Dondarion, Gendry Waters, (I heard the surname recently on YouTube), Sandor Clegane (The Hound), Tormund Giantsbane (I chuckle at the amorous way he looks at Brienne), Thors of Myr, Jorah Mormont and of course Jon Snow. That'll be an interesting fight north of the wall. Perhaps Dany will provide a dwaggin or two?

Sam, Gilly and Sam Jr. quit the citadel. Not before Gilly inadvertently discovered the annulment of Rheagar and Elia's marriage in Dorne. Sam seemed frustrated and missed the point, but I think he'll revisit her observation on another cue later. I found it intriguing, Sam placed the book he was reading before Sam Jr. just prior to storming down to the library to take (steal) books before leaving. In an earlier episode, the Cat's Paw dagger was depicted in the book, but he turned the page not comprehending it's significance (yet). It's still unclear who the original owner is, though it's suggested to belong to House Targareyen. Somehow, I'm not convinced it was Joffrey stealing it from Roberts armory to mercy kill Bran to win favor with the King. So far, I'm the only one who thinks it's Benjen. Afterall, he's a lead ranger with the Night's Watch and there's no indication he was sent there to lobby Robert for funding the Wall. He could have aquired it from Maester Aemon, who is a Targareyen. Why would Benjen do that you say? Perhaps he knows if Bran died, the war won't be started by the Children of the Forest and thus (as Maester Pycelle may have foreshadowed) a merciful death would prevent thousands from dying. None of the previous Brandon Starks lived long lives. Todays Bran is purported to be all of the other Brans. (The Builder et al)

Interestingly enough, the way Dany admonished Jon to bend the knee actually supports (foreshadows) Jon's rightful claim to the throne. Now that we know he's legitimate, he'll likely gain the title King Jahareyes Targaryen.

Littlefinger is up to his old tricks, apparently attempting to drive a wedge between Arya and Sansa. I think the wolf pack will stay together. Sansa knows what he wants, Arya and Bran know his deeds. I don't think it will end well for Lord Petyr. Sooner, later? Ser Royce is currently in Winterfell and voiced his support for Sansa (over Jon) in the last episode. I'm certain he'd abdicate the Knights of the Vale to Sansa, in any event.

Cersei allied with Dany to fight the army of the dead is a sinister thought, as Cersei seems to think. I never underestimate Cersei, but sooner or later, the prophesy will prevail. Which tells me sooner. Maggie the Frog said she'd have three children, foreshadowing she may die before giving birth to her fourth. That still doesn't solve the "black of hair" child (Gendry?) she had with Robert issue.

The next episode is 71 minutes apparently. I don't look for or listen to the leaked stuff. Season eight is reported to be six full length movies.

1 hour ago, Itoero said:

It was a good episode but imo the plot was messed up.

They've been doing a lot of things I like this season, but now that we're getting closer to the end, I think compressing it to seven episodes was a mistake.

They could have fit the same content into ten episodes and given things a bit of time to breathe and had a little less teleporting all over the continent within a single episode often within a span of minutes that has made a lot of things feel very choppy and weirdly paced.

I also agree with the criticism from Alan Sepinwall that they've been falling back on teasing a lot of character deaths without paying them off the last few episodes and many of the escapes feel rather contrived as a result.

I don't think even that would be quite as bad as it is, though, if they weren't packing the action set pieces quite so closely together.

It also felt weird that it always seemed like the only people in the ranging party were the names characters until it was time for some redshirt to die and then one would randomly spring up out of nowhere just to get killed. In past seasons they've at least taken the time to establish a neat character or two to act in that role so we're at least aware that they exist before they are killed off.

This season is very cool to watch but just weirdly paced and I think it's largely a result of the episode count.

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 5:56 AM, Delta1212 said:

They've been doing a lot of things I like this season, but now that we're getting closer to the end, I think compressing it to seven episodes was a mistake.

They could have fit the same content into ten episodes and given things a bit of time to breathe and had a little less teleporting all over the continent within a single episode often within a span of minutes that has made a lot of things feel very choppy and weirdly paced.

This season is very cool to watch but just weirdly paced and I think it's largely a result of the episode count.

That makes sense to me.  It seems like this season has been accelerated, but that is not a "mistake" just a constraint.  This compression makes more action and interest, imo.  This season is very compelling.

Can John Snow and Dragon Lady somehow lure Cersei into doing battle with the Army of Dead?  Then show up after the battle to conquer the surviving army.

Edited by Airbrush

I completely agree about the pacing in the last episode.They condense a journey into 1 epizode which would otherwise last one or two seasons. I think this is largely an issue of how really slow the pacing of the past seasons was and so little actually happened that this being the second-to-last season needed to speed things up.

Also, something which makes absolutely no sense to me in the last episode:

Spoiler

Why did Danaerys fly there with here dragon? I thought she could have been the one to do that in the first place and bring back one from the dead army much faster and easier but I thought she didn't because she didn't really believe Jon Snow and she couldn't leave her people. Suddenly, a letter arrives saying that Snow and others are in peril and she is instantly worried to the point of abandoning everyone and flying there personally. How did one random letter completely convince her of the dead and the seriousness of the situation? If she believed prior to that, couldn't she have flown there herself multiple times as fast? 

Also, not a fan of the generic deus-ex-machina situations like random Benjen saving Jon for no reason. That's just lazy storywriting. I don't think George would have done it that way.

I loved the last episode. No significant plot holes...it was  79 minutes of entertainment.

Spoiler

Where does Cersei get the gold to refund the Iron Bank and buy the Golden Company? Daenarys destroyed the High Garden loot...

Edited by Itoero