Does the Atkins diet really work?

gib65

Hello,

According to this website, which explains how the Atkins diet works, it says that cutting out the carbs works better for losing weight than cutting out other source of energy because the body stores fat when it detects that sugar levels are higher than a certain point. Thus, consuming, say, 300 calories of carbs is more likely to cause you to gain weight than 300 calories of fat.

Is there any truth to this, and if so does anybody recommend the Atkins diet for losing weight?

It seems it might be worth a try. A WebMD review;

The Final Word

For the person who needs structure in their diet, limiting starchy, sugary carbs will help cut calories and allow for weight loss. And focusing on proteins and fats that are plant-based is the healthy and smart thing to do.
For your long-term health, you have to move on from the initial Atkins 20 diet. It’s the later phases of the diet including the Atkins 40 that give you the variety of foods that are important for health. You have to exercise and keep portions small while you start eating nuts, seeds, beans, fruits, starchy vegetables, and whole grains again.

There are just 3 main sources of nutrition ,fat , protein and carbohydrates (am I right?)

So it is not rocket science to suggest that it is important to find a suitable balance between them.

As I understand it ,some diets seek to practically eliminate one or other of these components.

I am no expert but whenever I hear standard medical /dietary advice the term "balanced" seems to be used without fail.

Personally I have all but eliminated straight unrefined sugar from my diet as it has apparently zero nutritional content and so must logically be taking up space in the system from food that does have a positive contribution.

I have indeed noticed an improvement in well being as a result ,although that is not why I did it and would have carried on regardless if I had not noticed any change.

The whole concept behind these low carb diets is to reduce insulin production. Much of what insulin does after it regulates blood sugar levels is non-desirable for modern people, like storing fat, thickening artery walls, retaining salt, and signalling cells to produce their own cholesterol. The carbs they try to restrict are the sugars and complex carbs that throw off blood sugar.

I heard the NHS came out with a diet promoting the removal of sugar as unnecessary. Personally, I think the Atkins diet is simplified for those who don't want to learn anything, but just want to lose the weight. There are more informative paleo programs out there.

The philosophy behind the paleo diets is that hunter-gatherers only got significant amounts of these foods as they were getting settled in for the long winter. All the things insulin does result in more salt and water retained, higher blood pressure and skin temperature, stored fat, and steady cholesterol production even when it isn't part of what you're eating.

.... Personally, I think the Atkins diet is simplified for those who don't want to learn anything, but just want to lose the weight. ....

It's a plan, which is the main thing, and it's a lot better than none, I think. By the time you get to the last phase you should be eating a lot better than the typical Westerner. It's finding a regime that works for the individual rather than there being be a one-size-fits-all.

Edited by StringJunky

It's a plan, which is the main thing, and it's a lot better than none, I think. By the time you get to the last phase you should be eating a lot better than the typical Westerner. It's finding a regime that works for the individual rather than there being be a one-size-fits-all.

I agree. I'm actually losing weight right now on a version of Atkins. My metabolic panels are right on the money, but I haven't had a lipid test done recently. I'm curious to see what my cholesterol ratio is (if they still give ratios of HDL to total cholesterol). Optimally, it should be no more than 3.5 to 1.

I think a person who prefers savory to sweet will do well on a low carb diet. Sure, there's a lot of salad, but you also get to saute your broccoli instead of just steaming it. And bacon drippings mixed with butter is awesome for a saute.

The thing about the Atkins diet I don't understand is that it just seems like putting off fat burning 'til later.

Suppose you consumed enough carbs to last you 4 hours. After that 4 hours, your body starts burning fat, right?

But if the carbs you consume were to increase insulin levels, some of the energy from those carbs gets turned to fat. Suppose the carbs you consumed raised insulin levels enough to convert 2 hours worth of the total 4 hours worth into fat. Now you only have 2 hours of carb energy flowing through your veins. Now, after the 2 hours is up, that's when your body starts burning fat. But wouldn't it be burning the fat that your insulin just previously converted to fat? So on the whole, it seems to me that you burn just as much fat either way?

Is my logic wrong?