Oxytocin: Drugs for Love, is it right?

Kylonicus

Oxytocin is known to be a strong and powerful compound, which is related to positive interpersonal relationships, mating, and child rearing. It is reduced when people have a negative emotional experience, think about someone or something they don't like, and when people are afraid. Essentially, it is the hormone(also coupled with vasopressin) of love and relationships. It also forms very strong positive emotional experiences. There is more to this but that's the jist.

Therefore, would it be wrong to spray oneself with a rather large quantity, so that the fumes would disseminate into the air and intoxicate people, making the people like you, a whole lot more.

This essentially is, in essence, indirectly drugging people, so that they might have a skewed perception of you in your favor, which would be excellent, for making sales, getting into relationships of anykind, or for the nasty purpose of picking up girls.

However, this would be no different, than wearing a whole lot of highly expensive perfume, which through the use of high powered phermones, does the same thing.

I believe it is currently legal, and I will probably use it if it is legal, so that my prospects of relationships with women will be greatly enhanced.

But...

Is it ethical?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin

Didn’t I read something about this the other day? Something about making people more trusting? Boy will the used car salesmen, insurance salesmen and THE GOVERNMENT snap this one up.

lest we not forget also that Oxyticin is also used as a second resort for inducing labour in pregnant women if Prostaglandins fail and that it`s also responsible for the fact that many women seem to "Forget" the pain after child birth as it works like a mild amnesifacent.

Pitocin, a sythetic form of oxytocin causes pregnant women to go into labor. It's very convenient for obstetricians who want to tee off at a certain time. I was given it to me to hurry my labor at my doctor's convenience and without consulting me. The result was very immediate and painful. It was injected. I didn't know that it could be inhaled.

Oxytocin, which helps with the mother bond to her child after delivery, had a very strange effect upon me. I am not especially domestic, traditional, or maternal. However, a few hours after my daughter was born, I knew I would kill anyone who harmed her. I am not talking about the usual "Gee I love my kid romanticism" here. I am talking about a terribly primal obsession. I am ADD; I have not before or since felt a focus so intense. Men are very minor players when compared to the power of that bond.

Which is why having a child can place a great burden on a marriage. Suddenly the husband finds he is very much second place to the newcomer. ;)

I am not especially domestic' date=' traditional, or maternal. However, a few hours after my daughter was born, I knew I would kill anyone who harmed her. I am not talking about the usual "Gee I love my kid romanticism" here. I am talking about a terribly primal obsession. I am ADD; I have not before or since felt a focus so intense. Men are very minor players when compared to the power of that bond.

[/quote']

"The most dangerous place in the world is between a mother and her children."

Lets not forget that Oxytocin works on both male and female physiology. Spraying yourself with lots of the stuff could lead to all kinds of weirdness....

It would make you just as trusting as the women you are tending to attract.

Wikipedia also states, "In males, oxytocin is said to facilitate sperm transport in ejaculation", so maybe it would make you ultra-viril as well?

I am talking about a terribly primal obsession. I am ADD; I have not before or since felt a focus so intense. Men are very minor players when compared to the power of that bond.

Which is why having a child can place a great burden on a marriage. Suddenly the husband finds he is very much second place to the newcomer.

[/Quote]

I think any bloke(except perhaps a few fat wankers) would defend his child. If you doubt this just walk down your local street, find a child walking

with his father, say "My child!" and just pick up and walk off with

the child.

(I am not responsible for any medical, legal or morgue fees you may incur).

As for the second paragraph, that seems natural enough to me,

why would that place a strain on a marriage? Children need nurturing

and protection.

My understanding is that any marital strain has more to do with

frayed tempers resulting from both parents sleep habits playing

second fiddle to the childs. ;)

Cheers.

Oxytocin to my knowledge works on the estrogen levels in brain. If I were to take Depo Provera, a progestin which inhibits the production of testosterone and estrogen, then I might have the capacity to be resistant, if not immune(but probably not) to Oxytocin's effects. Essentially, if I could do that, I could use Oxytocin to get a girl to like me, form a relationship with me, then I could be trusting and it wouldn't matter as much.

Since testosterone is converted to estrogen in the brain, an aromatase inhibitor might do the trick, however, those are highly illegal, therefore I can't use them.

Then I could let up on the testosterone/estrogen suppression.

• 2 weeks later...