Playing to your strengths

imatfaal

The United States has had more Nobel Laureates in history than any other country (more than top five other countries combined)* - so bearing in mind that incredible heritage ...

Question: How many people in the White House Science Office (technically The science division of the White House's Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) ) as of Friday close of business?

None at all.

*including Peace prize and Organizations - I couldn't be bothered to find a list of just real person Science prize winners.

FFS - How many people in a football team? If I make the question simpler do you understand the idea?

So still simplified How many people in the White House Science Office?"

Maybe Trump has a point - argue about the phrasing of a question rather than debate the substance - give me strength.

FFS - How many people in a football team? If I make the question simpler do you understand the idea?

So still simplified How many people in the White House Science Office?"

Maybe Trump has a point - argue about the phrasing of a question rather than debate the substance - give me strength.

imatfaal you need to calm down. You either want to make America great again or youre a terrorist <-- this is sarcasm. Edited by koti

Maybe Trump has a point (...) give me strength.

You must be kidding... with his level of knowledge (or rather lack of it)....

imatfaal you need to calm down. You either want to make America great again or youre a terrorist.

When America was great?

When it was devastating environment while nuclear bomb tests? Causing cancer in its own soldiers watching tests and population living today in country..

Or when it was nuclear bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki, mass vaporizing civilians, mass vaporizing children.. ?

30% of Americans at a time ~'45 during survey, asked about the event, LIKED vaporizing children (or they completely didn't understand question what really happened?)

Or when industry was devastating environment burning coal, oil, and gas, in environment unfriendly way.. ?

Or when America was/is producing and distributing weapons around the world to help people murder other people.. ?

Tell me, WHEN America was great?

Edited by Sensei

Relax Sensei, my post to imatfaal was purely humorous.

Yet you edited out the word 'question', in your first reply; why?

I guess imatfaal took too much time to make a working spoiler and forgot to include a question

Personally, I don't find it amusing that a government ministry lacks any potential understanding.

Yet you edited out the word 'question', in your first reply; why?

Personally, I don't find it amusing that a government ministry lacks any potential understanding.

Geeez dimreepr...I edited out the word "question" in my post to emphasize that imatfaal screwed up the question in his post.

Relax Sensei, my post to imatfaal was purely humorous.

I knew you're joking, but in this subject there is nothing to joke about.. There can be only enormous incompetence about history of country etc. etc.

First, you used key words causing surveillance software to catch thread.

Second, DT claimed US used to be great, and he wants to go back to these "good old times" in his speeches (and his voters too), and I want to know, when exactly was these good times..

Edited by Sensei

If you say so...

Geez dimreepr, really? I edited out the word "question" from my post to make it incomplete to emphasize imatfaal's post which contains an incomplete question. How did you arrive at a conclusion that I'm making an excuse for some other, hidden intention is beyond me. Could you spell it out for me what you think my intention was in deleting the word "question" from my post?

Geez dimreepr, really? I edited out the word "question" from my post to make it incomplete to emphasize imatfaal's post which contains an incomplete question. How did you arrive at a conclusion that I'm making an excuse for some other, hidden intention is beyond me. Could you spell it out for me what you think my intention was in deleting the word "question" from my post?

I assure you that I had a reason which was irony.

Enough said.

It looks like I screwed up this thread with my irony and joke attempts and Im sory about this. Sensei FFS chill out. imatfaal I hope youre not offended by my joke. Dimreepr you need to relax man, theres enough psychos and insincere people on this forum and you should know that Im not one of them by now. Geez !

Edited by koti

imatfaal,

My daughter was at a university for the last 5 years pursuing a Ph.D. in chemistry which she now has. She was not in love with the grant process...but private industry grants were as important to acquire as government grants.

We have the same 320 million people in the country now as we had before the election. Same Nobel contenders as before.

Perhaps our president does not wish to tell scientists what they should be investigating, and the decommissioning of the office was part of his deregulation idea.

That is, let people regulate themselves and do what works. If you think about it, you wouldn't want to be forced by the federal government to study a particular thing, would you?

What good is a bunch of people telling you what to think, when you can tell yourself to do the right thing and cut out the middle man.

Regards, TAR

It looks like I screwed up this thread with my irony and joke attempts and Im sory about this. Sensei FFS chill out. imatfaal I hope youre not offended by my joke. Dimreepr you need to relax man, theres enough psychos and incencere people on this forum and you should know that Im not one of them by now. Geez !

We all like a good joke, but sometimes "we can't satirise what is already satiric" - Lewis Black.

Edited by dimreepr

imatfaal,

My daughter was at a university for the last 5 years pursuing a Ph.D. in chemistry which she now has. She was not in love with the grant process...but private industry grants were as important to acquire as government grants.

We have the same 320 million people in the country now as we had before the election. Same Nobel contenders as before.

Perhaps our president does not wish to tell scientists what they should be investigating, and the decommissioning of the office was part of his deregulation idea.

That is, let people regulate themselves and do what works. If you think about it, you wouldn't want to be forced by the federal government to study a particular thing, would you?

What good is a bunch of people telling you what to think, when you can tell yourself to do the right thing and cut out the middle man.

Regards, TAR

Hey Tar,

this is actually not how research funding works. The decision for funding is generally done by other scientists with a review process. It is usually under republican oversight that they put in certain requirements (such as reduction of fundamental research vs applied). Also, fundamental research is usually hardly funded by private enterprises (your daughter may know about that, unless she has a more industrial job, of course). The issue with losing the office is that the government has one advocate less for science funding. My expectation is that in future science funding will be more politically driven resulting e.g. in good projects that have environmental impact being scrapped and mostly those considered business-relevant (and maybe health) being funded.

You must be kidding... with his level of knowledge (or rather lack of it)....

When America was great?

When it was devastating environment while nuclear bomb tests? Causing cancer in its own soldiers watching tests and population living today in country..

Or when it was nuclear bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki, mass vaporizing civilians, mass vaporizing children.. ?

30% of Americans at a time ~'45 during survey, asked about the event, LIKED vaporizing children (or they completely didn't understand question what really happened?)

Or when industry was devastating environment burning coal, oil, and gas, in environment unfriendly way.. ?

Or when America was/is producing and distributing weapons around the world to help people murder other people.. ?

Tell me, WHEN America was great?

Never. Except in it's collective head.

saw a piece on the news where a governmental entity out west rejected the findings of a university study because it did not align with their narrative on the issue, so they questioned the methodology and commissioned another university to do the study so the results might come back in alignment with their policies

the results happened to be contrary to the progressive narrative, but judging by the politics of the majority of members of this forum, I do not think they, the members, would be in favor of our current president cherry picking studies, anyway, so I don't think that closing down a politically motivated office is entirely a bad thing for science...in fact it is potentially a good thing, if funds continue to flow toward scientific pursuits that are important to science and industry and not flow toward pursuits meant to "fix" people that don't have the president's political views

Never. Except in it's collective head.

And that's the whole problem of nationalism, patriotism. It's based on lies..

What is the greatest moment of country XXX... ? When they win the battle in YYY year, and killed ZZZ opponent army...

And remembrance of it, is resurrected over and over again, after centuries, or millenniums..

Edited by Sensei