2017 Total Solar Eclipse

zapatos

23 hours ago, iNow said:

Those came out great!

Thanks.    Here are a couple of tidbits about the totality photo.  The colored spots on the edge of the disk are caused by solar prominences. I wasn't sure of this myself until I saw a higher res photo taken by someone else that shows them better.  In addition, I caught the star Regulus in the shot. It is the white dot in the lower left of the Image.

Very nice pics, Janus.
What settings and filters did you use on your camera ?

Sorry about your experience iNow.
2024 is just a few years away. You are more than welcome to come visit me in St Catharines for it. Located in the middle of Niagara wine country ( lots of vineyards and wineries ), just 15 min away from the border and the tourist trap Niagara Falls, and even closer to the historic town of Niagara-on-the-Lake across from old Fort Niagara in Lewiston. Our dollar is lower than yours, your family would have a great vacation, although it can be quite rainy in April  ( sometimes even snowy ).

Edited by MigL

29 minutes ago, MigL said:

Sorry about your experience iNow.
2024 is just a few years away. You are more than welcome to come visit me in St Catharines for it. Located in the middle of Niagara wine country ( lots of vineyards and wineries ), just 15 min away from the border and the tourist trap Niagara Falls, and even closer to the historic town of Niagara-on-the-Lake across from old Fort Niagara in Lewiston. Our dollar is lower than yours, your family would have a great vacation, although it can be quite rainy in April  ( sometimes even snowy ).

Thanks, brother. I'm frankly surprised at just how much it's been bothering me since Monday. Sounds strange to admit, but I'm super sad about it, especially given all the effort it took to get there and back. Lol.

2 hours ago, iNow said:

Thanks, brother. I'm frankly surprised at just how much it's been bothering me since Monday. Sounds strange to admit, but I'm super sad about it, especially given all the effort it took to get there and back. Lol.

You are probably as pissed off as I was about it clouding over when Halley's comet came in 1986. I've got to stay alive until I'm 99 now.

Edited by StringJunky

53 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

You are probably as pissed off as I was about it clouding over when Halley's comet came in 1986. I've got to stay alive until I'm 99 now.

That's probably the only astronomical event which I have managed to see successfully, others being ruined by cloud and rain. It was probably the least impressive Halley's comet in centuries. I saw it with my young son, who has the prospect of seeing it again, which makes me wonder what percentage of the population have that opportunity.

5 hours ago, MigL said:

Very nice pics, Janus.
What settings and filters did you use on your camera ?

For the partial, I just held my eclipse glasses in front of the camera lens.  I didn't bother with getting a solar filter for our Cannon power shot, as it would have required first getting an adapter to even be able to use the filter.

For the total, I had the mode set to "M"  which held a fixed aperture (I think it was f8) and allowed you to set exposure manually. I just flipped through the exposure range until it looked good to me and snapped the picture, I'm not sure what it ended up as.  I didn't want to spend a lot of time fiddling with the camera, and was just happy to get any picture of totality.  I was at a 30x optical magnification. 

1 hour ago, DrKrettin said:

That's probably the only astronomical event which I have managed to see successfully, others being ruined by cloud and rain. It was probably the least impressive Halley's comet in centuries. I saw it with my young son, who has the prospect of seeing it again, which makes me wonder what percentage of the population have that opportunity.

Not many. He's born at the perfect time.

5 hours ago, iNow said:

I'm really not surprised at how you feel. I remember how bad I felt about missing out on the '79 eclipse, when it would have visible from my backyard.  I can imagine how much worse is for you after going to all that trouble.  I know, that if I had missed out due to weather on this trip, no matter how much I steeled myself for the possibility, I would have been crestfallen.

2 hours ago, iNow said:

Crestfallen. Great word for this

Take heart that you only have 7 yrs to wait for a possible second chance.  When I missed my first chance and then heard that it would be another 38 yrs before the next total eclipse would occur in the US, to my 20 year old mind at the time, it might as well have been forever.

Edited by Janus