Viruses, ransoms, trojans, spys and other malware into corporations...

Externet

Hi.

I understand the malicious infections getting into computers.

I do not understand why a XYZ corporation has to be in risk/ exposed to the net perils in order to conduct business and preserve sanity.

All the files for the operation of a corporation, their designs, their development documents, their personnel files, sales records, data, products, payrolls and many more internal documentation of daily activity. Why do they have to be in the same computers/net with internet access ?

Not saying to pull the net plug, but having NO PLUG at all ! A totally isolated internal workings. When there is need to access the web, well, another physical system of computers to be used.

What hurdles would such internal-only totally isolated network pose, with zero anti-viral software ? Am missing something here...

Hi.

I do not understand why a XYZ corporation has to be in risk/ exposed to the net perils in order to conduct business and preserve sanity.

All the files for the operation of a corporation, their designs, their development documents, their personnel files, sales records, data, products, payrolls and many more internal documentation of daily activity. Why do they have to be in the same computers/net with internet access ?

Not saying to pull the net plug, but having NO PLUG at all ! A totally isolated internal workings. When there is need to access the web, well, another physical system of computers to be used.

What hurdles would such internal-only totally isolated network pose, with zero anti-viral software ? Am missing something here...

Malware can still cross unconnected networks with manually inserted usb devices, as one example. I think the main problem is human error not system.

Hi.

Ask Mr Microsoft why Office has to be online these days.

Another scenario is the overpowerful IT department that insists everything is run from a central corporate server (which doesn't have to be on the web) but then the bean counters get offered an 'irresistable' deal on online (cloud) storage so buy that instead of paying to upgrade their own server.

Well, yes, StringJunky. That is the only kind of error, human error. Same error as not implementing isolating computers with vital/private records.

See a good degree of laziness here. Mr. Microcrap is not the only office program. But it is easier (less work) for managers to decide/buy that software instead of safe others that do not have to be on-line.

If the preference is not to put efforts preventing mishaps, then, let their systems go belly-up and hopefully go bankrupt. The sad part is the ones that decided to do the least amount of preventive work still get their fat checks.

Thanks again to my Linux OS for giving me peace.

Well, yes, StringJunky. That is the only kind of error, human error. Same error as not implementing isolating computers with vital/private records.

Medical records in the UK, for one, are nationally accessible and is not amenable to an intranet approach because approved personnel will need access from anywhere for medical events where the time taken may be critical.

Thanks again to my Linux OS for giving me peace.

I hope this discussion doesn't turn into a lovefest for Linux fanboys.

Edited by StringJunky

Hi.

In majority of large companies, network is essential part of modern functioning. f.e. communication between departments of company in different city, country, continent. Text/voice/video communication.

IT company software programmer, must have access to internet, to read documentation, search for solutions for problems encountered during work.

Game/compositing/advertisement/movie company 2D/3D/FX artist, and many more, must have access to internet, because currently many applications have license checked through Internet (whether it's legit copy).

Edited by Sensei

I was just saying in another thread that I think we are reaching peak-online. Not that amount online will fade - but we have reached a situation where it is asked "is it worth putting this online" rather than "can we put this online". The novelty and the thrill of sharing information is wearing off - in situations in which there is a gain to be had then we can go online very easily now and thus there is no advertising premium for being online just for the sake of it. I remember signing up for stuff purely because I thought it was cool to do this or that online. Now, as with smart-phones, computers in general, portable vs "in situ" and many other things, we have matured as a society and grown used to these technologies - we no longer feel the need to do them just because we can

Medical records in the UK, for one, are nationally accessible and is not amenable to an intranet approach because approved personnel will need access from anywhere for medical events where the time taken may be critical.

Good if those records being a copy in an internet-exposed read-only computer/server. Not the protected main computer kept in safe isolation from crooks, which find how to become 'approved personnel' and spread their diarrhea everywhere.