What is the science behind recitation of Mantras and Prayers?

Bhanu

I was taught by my grand parents that there exist positive energy near temples, and that is why it is good to visit temples once or twice in a week. Later I came across the science behind those positive energy is magnetic field produced by placing idol exactly in the center of sanctum sanctorum. But I was left unanswered how does recitation of mantras have impact on human body?

pla·ce·bo ef·fect

pləˈsēbō əˈfekt,ēˈfekt/

noun

noun: placebo effect; plural noun: placebo effects

1. a beneficial effect, produced by a placebo drug or treatment, that cannot be attributed to the properties of the placebo itself, and must therefore be due to the patient's belief in that treatment.

There might be something to be said for getting things off your chest and sharing your problems... if you feel you have shared them with a supreme being then it can put you in a peaceful, comforted, contented state of mind. This might help a person relax - like meditation too - brings about a peaceful and rested state of mind. Although some intercessory prayer can be exhausting and heart wrenching.... and seemingly a waste of time.

Not sure I buy the magnetic field thing for temples. Obviously there is the placebo effect also. see above.

I think we are all praying in a very devotional peaceful atmosphere when we are actually praying to GOD , everybody has a version of the creator .

Mantras usually have meanings associated with them .

for ex : the trance song electric universe - the prayer

What does it mean ?

In Frank Herbert's Dune world, they were called litanies and they were used to focus the mind on a single task, or remove unwanted emotions for a clearer perspective. I suppose that's the science fiction behind recitation of mantras.

I think we are all praying in a very devotional peaceful atmosphere when we are actually praying to GOD , everybody has a version of the creator

We are not all praying.

And not everybody has a version of the creator.