How do you resist delicious junk food ?

fresh

Yes, I guess it depends what one means by "junk" food. I am thinking of things like McDonalds and similar fast food outlets. I don't see how anyone could describe these as delicious. Inedible would be closer, to my mind. (I did take a bite from a McDonalds burger when they opened their first restaurant in London. I threw the rest away and have never been in one again!)

So, my definition of junk food is stuff that tastes disgusting but a lot of people eat anyway!

If you are properly hungry(or hungry enough) ,almost anything will taste nice.(the social situation counts too)

Regarding McDonalds, I make hambugers myself. At first I thought of ways to make it interesting (parsley, sage ,garlic ,beaten egg etc) but now I just (using good mince) just shape it and fry it (seasoned of course)

That mightn't seem any different to McDonald's "junk food" but it seems OK to me.

Edited by geordief

If you are properly hungry(or hungry enough) ,almost anything will taste nice.(the social situation counts too)

Regarding McDonalds, I make hambugers myself. At first I thought of ways to make it interesting (parsley, sage ,garlic ,beaten egg etc) but now I just (using good mince) just shape it and fry it (seasoned of course)

That mightn't seem any different to McDonald's "junk food" but it seems OK to me.

I suspect there is a huge difference in quality between the McDonald and your mince. I dread to think what they use.

Normal food is prepared from raw fresh ingredients just before it'll be given to restaurant client.

Junk food is prepared industrially, to reduce price, heavily processed.

There are natural methods of preservation of food like fermentation

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_preservation

and there are used special artificial ingredients extending their expiration date.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preservative

Edited by Sensei

I was used to eating it everyday.’ in OP, edited to ' I used to eat it everyday.'

a grammar mistake. sorry.

Is it true McDonald can be left there for months or even years without any fly near to it ? it is unbelievable !

Edited by fresh

I was used to eating it everyday.’ in OP, edited to ' I used to eating it everyday.'

a grammar mistake. sorry.

Is it true McDonald can be left there for months or even years without any fly near to it ? it is unbelievable !

Just for your guidance

"I was used to doing something" is an acceptable usage; it means you have become accustomed to a practice

"I used to doing something" is incorrect. A little better is "I used to eat it everyday" - I would prefer "In the past I ate it everyday"

Onwards and upwards :)

haha, thanks !

Just for your guidance

"I was used to doing something" is an acceptable usage; it means you have become accustomed to a practice

"I used to doing something" is incorrect. A little better is "I used to eat it everyday" - I would prefer "In the past I ate it everyday"

thanks. it is a silly mistake. I seldom made that kind of mistakes in uni...i should practice more.

Edited by fresh

That's a grammatical mistake (sorry).

Is ' a grammar mistake' a grammatical mistake ? are you sure ??

10 Common Grammar Mistakes Even Smart People Make

https://www.inc.com/christina-desmarais/10-common-grammar-mistakes-even-smart-people-make.html

20 Common Grammar Mistakes That (Almost) Everyone Makes

https://litreactor.com/columns/20-common-grammar-mistakes-that-almost-everyone-gets-wrong

Edited by fresh

Is ' a grammar mistake' a grammatical mistake ? are you sure ??

10 Common Grammar Mistakes Even Smart People Make

https://www.inc.com/christina-desmarais/10-common-grammar-mistakes-even-smart-people-make.html

20 Common Grammar Mistakes That (Almost) Everyone Makes

https://litreactor.com/columns/20-common-grammar-mistakes-that-almost-everyone-gets-wrong

I still think it is a mistake in English English, despite what American sources say. Why use a noun as an adjective when there is a perfectly good adjective available?

Actually uptake of stuff and intracellular trafficking is very complicated and the response to harmful substances is not terribly precise. I.e. it is probably not accurate to assume that if encountering really harmful substances the cells can easily get rid of it (or that it is even able to identify those as harmful). In fact, endosomal trafficking is a major route hijacked by many pathogens to eventually enter cells.

Most particulate removal happens on the tissue/organ level, meaning that you need a decent mucoid layer to effectively remove particulate and other harmful substances.

I was responding to "i also thought there was no such thing as a self cleaning mechanism" to highlight an example, but I didn't mean to imply it was working on the substances under discussion. Apologies that it came off that way.

A bit OT now but you can view language as a simple tool or as an enjoyment.

For enjoyment it is useful to keep as many nuances as are available in the pack.

There is a distinction , in this context between "grammar" and "grammatical" that can be either observed or not.

It may be that US English does not and UK English does moreso(I am not quite sure)

Edited by geordief

You have heard McDonald's food is so unpalatable that even flies avoid it?

No that surely cannot be true (and flies can be connoisseurs of fine food :) )

Great topic, thank you!

I haven't read any of the above yet, but the question is compelling and I wanted to jump in to try to answer it first, read other answers later.

We are HOW we eat. How we eat includes what we eat, how much, when to eat, what combinations of foods, how much we drink, , etc, etc. Junk foods are generally engineered to be extra palatable, extra delicious with added sugar, salt, and fat. That makes them hard to stop eating. That contributes to the fact that 1/3 of Americans are overweight (or is it obese ?, I forget the exact term). Healthy foods have a subtler taste that becomes more pronounced when you allow yourself to get very hungry. Nothing wrong with skipping a meal or two, just don't make up for it by eating double at the next meal. That is the key.

Eliminating junk food from your diet is a great idea that many people cannot accomplish. The way to do it is to fill up on healthy foods so you won't be tempted. Also drink lots of water so you are not dehydrated. You can be dehydrated without knowing it. Don't shop while hungry, and just don't buy junk foods. Out of sight means out of mind. Be healthy!! :)

My job in retirement, at my age of 62, is to eat healthy, drink lots of water, and exercise every day. I jog 2 km around my neighborhood almost every morning. I love the sweet smell of the early morning air.

Edited by Airbrush

You have heard McDonald's food is so unpalatable that even flies avoid it?

No that surely cannot be true (and flies can be connoisseurs of fine food :) )

That sounds based on a little experiment run by Morgan Spurlock - he of "Supersize Me" - a selection of McDonalds "food" was put in bell jars and watched over a period of months. Lots of the food remained fairly intact and was not colonised by mould or other microorganisms - flies, I think, were excluded

That sounds based on a little experiment run by Morgan Spurlock - he of "Supersize Me" - a selection of McDonalds "food" was put in bell jars and watched over a period of months. Lots of the food remained fairly intact and was not colonised by mould or other microorganisms - flies, I think, were excluded

Not sure what to make of that. Is sterile food unhealthy or just uninteresting?

We don't need it for gut bacteria do we?

Edited by geordief

Avoiding junk food is easy - unless you have some secret craving to eat shit (even then, I would have thought it cheaper to just fish it out of the toilet).

No, avoiding junk food is only easy for you, and maybe some others. The OP is someone who LIKES junk foods. You don't, so you don't get to participate and merely criticize someone for their problem, since you have no trouble with junk foods.

I like junk foods, hell yes, but I don't allow myself to eat them, and I do that by avoiding contact with them. I also change the channel on TV when the commercial is trying to induce me to eat some delicious, high-calorie foods, with added sugar, salt, and fat.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uHxRwQqWFo

I did this experiment myself with a big mack years ago. It started to get covered by fungus and decomposed like any other food would. After 11 days the decomposition was awful and grose and I had to throw the big mack out. I also put a piece of chicken and some good quality bread in parralel to see the differences and the only fifference was the bread which started to decompose quicker than the burger bun (the buns in these burgers are nasty) Nevertheless in the period of 11 days everything was more or less equally grosely decomposed and ended up in the bin. Months seem highly improbable and also regardless of the outcome of my experiment the McDonalds burgers are horrible as far as nutrition goes and Im avoiding them as much as I can.

The main reason for limited degradation, especially over longer period is usually dehydration and temperature. If the food was stored under high ambient humidity it will degrade fast, especially when warm.