Vegan can help World Hunger

Do you guys believe that if everyone goes Vegan or Vegetarian that world hunger can be solved? I read a lot of articles online saying that the grain that animals in factory farms eat can be fed to starving children across the globe instead. But what is happening is we are taking harvest and feeding it to pigs, cows and chickens so that the rich people can have their bacon and steak. To be honest, this makes me feel bad about eating meat. :(
Sometimes, I just wish I am blinded from the truth so I can eat and just enjoy my food with no guilt.

Edited by ModernArtist25

We aren't a vegetarian species. We're omnivores. You can't change that just because we aren't distributing food properly.

Personally, I don't think we would be as intelligent without portable sources of high-quality protein. Animal husbandry was just as important as agriculture to a species developing keen intelligence.

We aren't a vegetarian species. We're omnivores. You can't change that just because we aren't distributing food properly.

Personally, I don't think we would be as intelligent without portable sources of high-quality protein. Animal husbandry was just as important as agriculture to a species developing keen intelligence.

I read somewhere that it's not animal by itself that helped us develop larger brains but cooking have. Cooking made our food more calorie dense and easier to digest so that we have more time and energy to spend using our brain to invent tools. During the prehistoric days, I understand why people need to eat whatever they can find, but in this day and age in Western society where we can just go to the grocery store, is meat really essential? (I'm not a vegan by the way, but I have reduced my meat consumption greatly.)

I read somewhere that it's not animal by itself that helped us develop larger brains but cooking have. Cooking made our food more calorie dense and easier to digest so that we have more time and energy to spend using our brain to invent tools. During the prehistoric days, I understand why people need to eat whatever they can find, but in this day and age in Western society where we can just go to the grocery store, is meat really essential? (I'm not a vegan by the way, but I have reduced my meat consumption greatly.)

Many elements went into our advanced intelligence, but it can be argued that the extra time we gained through animal husbandry and agriculture by not having to hunt and gather constantly is what allowed us to actually grow that intelligence meaningfully. But even though our lives are easier, we're still evolved omnivores.

I'd say the real question isn't is meat essential, but rather is giving it up essential? Given that our distribution methods for the food we do have is inefficient and under-supported in many parts of the world, perhaps we could change that instead. If we could organize to the degree necessary to all stop eating meat, why can't we organize to get more foodstuffs to those who really need it?

Many elements went into our advanced intelligence, but it can be argued that the extra time we gained through animal husbandry and agriculture by not having to hunt and gather constantly is what allowed us to actually grow that intelligence meaningfully. But even though our lives are easier, we're still evolved omnivores.

I'd say the real question isn't is meat essential, but rather is giving it up essential? Given that our distribution methods for the food we do have is inefficient and under-supported in many parts of the world, perhaps we could change that instead. If we could organize to the degree necessary to all stop eating meat, why can't we organize to get more foodstuffs to those who really need it?

But how can we distribute the food more evenly across the globe when people are eating too much meat? People are eating meat in a daily basis and we need grains to feed these animals that we are eating right? Our ancestor didn't even eat this much meat because it takes more time and energy to hunt animals. Even the indigenous people that exist today like the Maasai people only eat meat 1 to 5 times a month, compare that to the average American diet. :( The Okinawans (the people who live a really long lifespan) ate meat only during festivals or special occasions(only 2% of their diet is meat), they ate a lot of sweet potatoes. Should the government set laws on animal production/agriculture or just maybe increase the price for meat to deter people that eat too much?

Edited by ModernArtist25

But how can we distribute the food more evenly across the globe when people are eating too much meat? People are eating meat in a daily basis and we need grains to feed these animals that we are eating right? Our ancestor didn't even eat this much meat because it takes more time and energy to hunt animals. Even the indigenous people that exist today like the Maasai people only eat meat 1 to 5 times a month, compare that to the average American diet. :( The Okinawans (the people who live a really long lifespan) ate meat only during festivals or special occasions(only 2% of their diet is meat), they ate a lot of sweet potatoes. Should the government set laws on animal production/agriculture or just maybe increase the price for meat to deter people that eat too much?

If you can organize them so that they don't eat meat as much, surely you can organize them to simply distribute more food.

If you can organize them so that they don't eat meat as much, surely you can organize them to simply distribute more food.

Should people in the western society eat less meat so the other meat can be distributed somewhere else? Will that be possible?

To feed everyone in the world and if everyone has to eat meat, will that take a toll on the planet? Because animal agriculture is the leading cause of species extinction, ocean dead zones, water pollution and habitat destruction.

Produce regularly rots on the docks because it has no destination people are willing to pay for. What I'm saying is that, before you try to make people give up meat, why don't you use the much easier solution of making sure all food gets into bellies before it rots, no matter which species it's feeding?

What you're trying to do is very negative, even though you're thinking it's positive. You're taking away when you could more easily add. Stop being so selfish and have a burger.

Yes, I am selfish because I only care about my tastebuds. I don't care about starving children all over the world or how our earth will be left for future generations. Because I love the taste of burgers.

When you say easily add, you mean produce more meat? Is that environmentally friendly?

Edited by ModernArtist25

Yes, I am selfish because I only care about my tastebuds. I don't care about starving children all over the world or how our earth will be left for future generations. Because I love the taste of burgers.

When you say easily add, you mean produce more meat? Is that environmentally friendly?

Meat isn't the problem.

We're wasting a huge majority of our food.

Fix that first.

Then fix the meat problem.

When you say environmentally friendly are you taking into account that it would be far more difficult to grow protein without eating animals to feed the entire world? We can and often to raise animals on land that is not fit to raise plant crops on, the grain used to feed animals is not as nutritious as eating the animals.

Veganism would mean far fewer humans could live on the earth...

You care only for your tastebuds?! Well that explains your problem.

You're a monster if you don't acknowledge the sacrifice a cow makes for you to have a burger. Where is your spirituality, that you can't accept this relationship? Why do you wish to destroy all the cows and chickens just because you can't summon the compassion to thank them for a short life lacking all predation until the very end? It really seems like you're spitting on the efforts of animal husbandry experts around the world who try to develop humane and respectful processes for feeding our society.

Are you going to come after our dogs and cats next, claiming it's wrong to keep them locked up?

By the way, this is like the fifth or sixth thread you've started about not eating meat. You never address good comments, and you never present better arguments. Why are we wasting so much time on this if nothing is going to change?

When you say environmentally friendly are you taking into account that it would be far more difficult to grow protein without eating animals to feed the entire world? We can and often to raise animals on land that is not fit to raise plant crops on, the grain used to feed animals is not as nutritious as eating the animals.

Veganism would mean far fewer humans could live on the earth...

What I meant was producing more meat would mean increasing our carbon footprint. More meat to feed the world would mean more deforestation and more animals losing their habitats. That's also more toxic chemicals getting into our waterways and air due to manure and urine from billions of animals. Animal agriculture is responsible for 18% of the total release of greenhouse gases world-wide (this is more than all the cars, trucks, planes, and ships in the world combined).Producing a single hamburger uses enough fuel to drive 20 miles and causes the loss of five times its weight in topsoil. I know it is hard to accept the truth about meat because we love the taste so much.

Do you guys believe that if everyone goes Vegan or Vegetarian that world hunger can be solved? I read a lot of articles online saying that the grain that animals in factory farms eat can be fed to starving children across the globe instead. But what is happening is we are taking harvest and feeding it to pigs, cows and chickens so that the rich people can have their bacon and steak. To be honest, this makes me feel bad about eating meat. :(

Sometimes, I just wish I am blinded from the truth so I can eat and just enjoy my food with no guilt.

As you have discovered, there are unabashed meat eaters here. ATM we probably could feed the world with current food output. But, having enough food doesn't seem to be the issue. In the US, far more food is tossed into the trash than is needed to feed the hungry. Yet, the GOP congress wants to stop programs that feed children and the elderly. The US can afford it, but the 400 wealthiest people in the US want billions of dollars in tax cuts, and they are happy to see people starve to death to get the tax cuts. When humans become angels, everyone will eat.

As you have discovered, there are unabashed meat eaters here. ATM we probably could feed the world with current food output. But, having enough food doesn't seem to be the issue. In the US, far more food is tossed into the trash than is needed to feed the hungry. Yet, the GOP congress wants to stop programs that feed children and the elderly. The US can afford it, but the 400 wealthiest people in the US want billions of dollars in tax cuts, and they are happy to see people starve to death to get the tax cuts. When humans become angels, everyone will eat.

It seems to me that you've discovered the real problem with this way of thinking. You're a well-informed, reasonable person who happens to benefit greatly from a vegan diet, yet you don't call for everyone to stop eating meat. There are better distribution methods for all food that should be examined before we start banning certain ones.

I'm pretty sure there is enough food, it's just not well distributed.

You need a 'thriving' society and/or money to buy food.

Edited by Itoero

What I meant was producing more meat would mean increasing our carbon footprint. More meat to feed the world would mean more deforestation and more animals losing their habitats. That's also more toxic chemicals getting into our waterways and air due to manure and urine from billions of animals. Animal agriculture is responsible for 18% of the total release of greenhouse gases world-wide (this is more than all the cars, trucks, planes, and ships in the world combined).Producing a single hamburger uses enough fuel to drive 20 miles and causes the loss of five times its weight in topsoil. I know it is hard to accept the truth about meat because we love the taste so much.

So you would have billions of people die from malnutrition with in years if not months? To survive on a vegan diet takes some pretty special plants and they are not easy to grow in large quantities. Of course that would solve the build up of the feces and urine of billions of humans..

I'd like to see some citations for those assertions before I am willing to accept them...

So you don't think reducing meat consumption would help with world hunger at all?

Here are info links and citations on how meat affect the planet that we live in:

http://www.cowspiracy.com/facts/

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/this-is-how-animal-agriculture-causes-deforestation/

https://gelr.org/2015/10/23/a-leading-cause-of-everything-one-industry-that-is-destroying-our-planet-and-our-ability-to-thrive-on-it-georgetown-environmental-law-review/

https://www.theverge.com/2013/8/13/4605528/your-meat-addiction-is-destroying-the-planet-but-we-can-fix-it

Do you honestly believe that animal agriculture does not negatively affect the planet and the people in it in any way?

So you would have billions of people die from malnutrition with in years if not months? To survive on a vegan diet takes some pretty special plants and they are not easy to grow in large quantities. Of course that would solve the build up of the feces and urine of billions of humans..

A well planned vegan diet doesn't just contain veggies. Along with veggies, vegans also eat beans, rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, seeds, nuts, fruits, non-dairy milk.

Edited by ModernArtist25

A well planned vegan diet doesn't just contain veggies. Along with veggies, vegans also eat beans, rice, potatoes, pasta, bread, seeds, nuts, fruits, non-dairy milk.

In order to be a healthy vegan, you need food from many countries, something most people don't have access to. Being a healthy vegan is a luxury.

Vegetarianism/veganism seems to be an affliction of well-to-do people in affluent countries ( and spoilt kids who think they are saving the world ).

Poor people in the rest of the world will eat whatever they can get their hands on.

Where would you find your vegan staples in sub-Saharan Africa ? The outback of Australia ? the Polynesian islands ? And numerous other places ?

The grocery store ?

Where would you find the grocery store ?

Which food for a vegan diet do you need from other countries that you can't find from a grocery store?

It's not that you can't find them, it's that they would be such high demand the prices would shoot through the roof. Do you think you could live your life on rice? Corn? Wheat? not a chance... Humans need complete proteins, vitamins, and minerals only found easily is animal products. Can you imagine how expensive nuts would be if everyone had to eat enough of them to be healthy without meat? Human nutrition is complex, you can't live on nothing but bread...

Vegetarianism/veganism seems to be an affliction of well-to-do people in affluent countries ( and spoilt kids who think they are saving the world ).

It's easy to think the world needs saving when one explanation is spun to you in vivid, slaughterhouse imagery. It's an emotional appeal that's like armor against reasonableness.

From a pure physics and biology standpoint, isn't meat a more efficient form of nutrient? It's formed by animals eating vegetation, which uses sunlight more efficiently than dirt alone.

Poor people in the rest of the world will eat whatever they can get their hands on.

Where would you find your vegan staples in sub-Saharan Africa ? The outback of Australia ? the Polynesian islands ? And numerous other places ?

The grocery store ?

Where would you find the grocery store ?

Okay, I'm talking about just people who have access to the grocery store, which is mostly everyone in Western society. I know people who are on a plant based diet and they said it is a lot cheaper than buying meat. Meat is expensive compare to legumes, lentils, rice and potatoes. I know people who were taking 8 pills a day and once they converted to plant based diet, they did not need to take the pills anymore. But I think that someone who is eating very little meat but mostly plant based diet can still thrive without worrying about obesity, diabetes, artery disease or heart disease.

It's not that you can't find them, it's that they would be such high demand the prices would shoot through the roof. Do you think you could live your life on rice? Corn? Wheat? not a chance... Humans need complete proteins, vitamins, and minerals only found easily is animal products. Can you imagine how expensive nuts would be if everyone had to eat enough of them to be healthy without meat? Human nutrition is complex, you can't live on nothing but bread...

Actually you can find those essential amino acids and protein found in meat in food such as hemp seeds, chia seeds, quinoa, legumes, lentils, and etc. According to American Dietetic Association(nutritional experts), a well-planned vegetarian diets are appropriate for individuals during all stages of the life cycle, including pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood, and adolescence, and for athletes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19562864

But yea, meat tastes good, we can't just give it up. Maybe reduction is a start. It's good for health, for the planet and for the animals.