Apologies if I am in the wrong place.

I live up a mountain in Wales. My water supply comes from a spring in the rock above my house. In order to make some repairs I used some "Epoxy Repair Putty" as the packet claimed, "For underwater application ...."

I subsequently read the cautionary note which said:

Contains

BISPHENIL A - (EPICHLOHYDRIN) (REACTION PRODUCT)

The water passes through a big settling tank/cistern before entering the house and going through a 10 micron filter and a UV sterilizer.

I am now worried that I am poisoning everybody.

Should I analyze the water. If so, to whom should I speak?

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

Apologies if I am in the wrong place.

I live up a mountain in Wales. My water supply comes from a spring in the rock above my house. In order to make some repairs I used some "Epoxy Repair Putty" as the packet claimed, "For underwater application ...."

I subsequently read the cautionary note which said:

Contains

BISPHENIL A - (EPICHLOHYDRIN) (REACTION PRODUCT)

The water passes through a big settling tank/cistern before entering the house and going through a 10 micron filter and a UV sterilizer.

I am now worried that I am poisoning everybody.

Should I analyze the water. If so, to whom should I speak?

Thanks in anticipation

Richard

What are all the applications it says? Can you link to it?

My guess is that the reaction product is only being produced for a short period of time while the putty is hardening. If you are concerned about that, how about just running a load of water through the system to get rid of any unwanted products. My other guess is that considering it is for underwater use, the manufacturers must know that this would include water intended for human consumption, and if there were any risk, there would be a warning label writ large.

I used to be in the same situation as you, and had water in a header tank above the farm in Wales. I had all kinds of health concerns, such as water being filtered through rotting frogs, and we didn't have a UV sterilizer. I'm not aware that anyone ever had a water-related illness. Not that this proves anything.

My guess is that the reaction product is only being produced for a short period of time while the putty is hardening. If you are concerned about that, how about just running a load of water through the system to get rid of any unwanted products. My other guess is that considering it is for underwater use, the manufacturers must know that this would include water intended for human consumption, and if there were any risk, there would be a warning label writ large.

I used to be in the same situation as you, and had water in a header tank above the farm in Wales. I had all kinds of health concerns, such as water being filtered through rotting frogs, and we didn't have a UV sterilizer. I'm not aware that anyone ever had a water-related illness. Not that this proves anything.

IIRC, a friend, who worked with water supplies, used to use a sticky, waxy wrap that you could mould around a leak to seal it.

IIRC, a friend, who worked with water supplies, used to use a sticky, waxy wrap that you could mould around a leak to seal it.

Probably Denso tape. Available from all good plumbing suppliers.

http://www.denso.net/densotape/

Brilliant and totally disgusting to work with! Make sure you have plenty of Swarfega to hand. (I think that will help you clear up - I ended up using white spirit to wash my hands - not a great idea!)

Edited by Strange

Probably Denso tape. Available from all good plumbing suppliers.

http://www.denso.net/densotape/

Brilliant and totally disgusting to work with! Make sure you have plenty of Swarfega to hand. (I think that will help you clear up - I ended up using white spirit to wash my hands - not a great idea!)

That's the stuff.

Yeah, would imagine any potential toxicity will be pretty low and very temporary while it was setting.

BPA is used in the production of food containers, including water water bottles. I think the real hazard and precaution protocols is with the raw chemical, when handling it regularly, which is the case with many chemicals that are otherwise safe in exposures experienced by consumers..

Edited by StringJunky