XBOX chipset question

calbiterol

Kind of, I was wondering about the feasibility of turning it into a handheld (with my own cooling mechanism that's totally overkill and shouldn't take up much space) and how much space the actual architecture takes up.

I thought there may be a reason like that... Well that would void the warranty anyway, so why not just open it.

I don't believe you will get a handheld device the size of a standard hand held device on the marker at the moment, because, well, it's got to be the size of a CD plus all of the electronics, you may reduce the size, but not really to proper hand held, and then you'd need a whole VDU (visual display unit) as well.

Well, I wasn't going to even try if there wasn't a possibility of it being feasible, and if it is, I'll prolly track down a new xbox just for the reason. And I'm dropping the CD unit and not considering a screen unit - kind of like an uberpowerful PalmPilot.

If you drop the CD part, then what will be the input of the console (ie. where the game is fed into it?).... without a CD or cooling i suppose it could be possible, but I've never seen one open, only heard of the mega sized cooling system. Still the 'motherboard' of the XBox is probably quite sizeable.

Well i rember reading in pop sci or mech that there is a guy that turns consoles like n 64 into playable handhelds you may want to run a search and see what u find. I wish i could give you more detailes.

Well then, found some pics and some information. The motherboard is "seven or eight inches square" [http://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2001/november/011116_Xbox/011116_Xbox.htm] and is connected via special links to various accessories. Given that the whole thing is specialized, it does not appear to be practical (or space friendly - a seven-ich handheld would be... huge) to use it as a PDA on steroids.

That means it's on to the PS2 and Gamecube. After that, it's down to custom-built.

PS2 has a 300 mhz processor. That rules it out.

[Edit:

Gamecube is 485 mhz. Bare minimum for me is 733 (xbox speed). That rules out everything but a custom made system. Bummer. Any ideas about how to make xbox games run on computers (the original disks)? Aside from software emulators?

That blows anything on the market out of the water.

To be specific, that can play games (well, ones that don't invoke a state of processor neurosis - like, for example, Doom 3, which is way to processor demanding), function as an mp3 player, a personal organizer (just like a palm pilot), has USB (so it can, in theory, connect to a wireless network) and run a linux OS. I think that was about the idea that I had. Can't think of much else. Like a mini-tablet pc.