Sneezing weird occurence

I could feel a random tingle in my nose building up to a sneeze. It was random due to no allergens or similar stimulants being around. Once the buildup was about to occur into a sneeze, the buildup quickly disappeared and nothing happened. Does anyone have any information which could be relevant to this?

I could feel a random tingle in my nose building up to a sneeze. It was random due to no allergens or similar stimulants being around. Once the buildup was about to occur into a sneeze, the buildup quickly disappeared and nothing happened. Does anyone have any information which could be relevant to this?

Yes.

You experienced the common phenomenon where you feel it, but don't sneeze.

It was random due to no allergens or similar stimulants being around.

As iNow alludes to, this assumption right here is your problem. "No allergens" implies "absolutely none", and I doubt you know that. Irritant is the other word you want, not stimulant.

I suppose it's possible receptors can be triggered by a certain amount of irritants which are insufficient to trigger the rest of the reflex. You start to inhale enough for a defensive clearing of the nasal passageways, but it doesn't reach critical pressure and the sneeze dies in an unsatisfying exhale.

Edit to add: Possibly when you start to inhale at the beginning of the sneeze, you dislodge the irritant?

I agree, I wouldn't describe it as weird... it is quite common for a sneeze to build but fail to climax. Did you break any nasal hair in the process? ;-)

I find it weird as well as I am assuming most people that a sneeze buildup can completely dissipate after the feeling of violently exhaling begins.

So would this occur due to something related to the human nervous system if there are no other stimulants?

No. Most likely, when the irritant signals the release of histamines, the initial quick intake of air removes the irritant (sucks it in), and the signal goes away. Sneeze aborted. It involves several muscles groups and systems, so it seems like there is plenty of time for something to interfere.

Btw, did you see that the Wiki article mentions bright light as a possible irritant?

On the wiki article it mentions that it is an involuntary action. If it is considered this then would the sudden dissipation of the build up to sneeze with no other stimulants also be part of the involuntary action?

Happened to me on Sunday. It reminded me that this also happens a lot when you announce it.. I said to my friend "... ahh.. I'm going to sneeze.." but it fizzled out. It reminded me that these fizzling out sneezes often come when you actually announce you are going to sneeze. I think they do it just to prove you wrong or something. I would have preferred to have had a good sneeze.

Trying to find a logical explanation, but I can't seem to find any. The only thing I found was that we sneeze because lungs have to much air and it is trying to be released.

Reading this post made me feel lucky because I have ACHOO (or PSR).

Sneezing feels good.

Sneezing is fun. Whenever I have an inkling of a sneeze I try to bring it to fruition by staring at the ceiling. Quite effective.

Incidentally I have heard ** it is unwise to attempt to smother a sneeze as air speeds in the nasal passage can be up around the speed of sound (ie very high and likely to cause internal damage)

That is also why I never practice coitus interruptus <_<

**no idea if this is true.

Edited by geordief

Incidentally I have heard ** it is unwise to attempt to smother a sneeze as air speeds in the nasal passage can be up around the speed of sound (ie very high and likely to cause internal damage)

Apparently, if you close your nose with your hands and keep the mouth shut, it could pierce your eardrums and even pop your eyes out. I've read that somewhere but I have no evidence, so don't take my word for it.

Another funfact: I can induce a sneeze any time by will if I press my tongue against a particular point. It's the straight up point of the mouth, where the ''hard part'' of the roof ends and the ''soft part'' begins, if that makes sense.

Apparently, if you close your nose with your hands and keep the mouth shut, it could pierce your eardrums and even pop your eyes out. I've read that somewhere but I have no evidence, so don't take my word for it.

Another funfact: I can induce a sneeze any time by will if I press my tongue against a particular point. It's the straight up point of the mouth, where the ''hard part'' of the roof ends and the ''soft part'' begins, if that makes sense.

That would make sense as the sternamentoris (from the Latin word "sternutare" for "to sneeze") is situated in the palate as we learned in Medical School.

It stimulates the sternumentory reflex but is notoriously difficult to pinpoint and many deny its existence. :)

Edited by geordief

• 3 weeks later...

From what I can remember about this occurrence, the sneeze was random without any external stimulants. It was more like something tried to pinch a nerve and then when the nerve didn't get pinched properly, the sneeze dissipated.

• 1 month later...

.....which happens to everybody as said by many already. It is a common occurrence. I think Phi for All has explained it.

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 4:28 AM, Phi for All said:

You must have me on Ignore.

I think I must be too...   I have asked him about 4 times in his laughter thread to give more info about what exactly made him laugh and what game he was playing...  he just then asks the same questions again.  I know I am not aloud to speculate on the mental health or capacity of other members, I have been told off for that before...  so I won't say what I and I am sure others are thinking. :-( 

Edited by DrP