Hearing hair sever without breaking the pain threshold

I was driving today listening to music at a low sound level and felt/heard one of the hairs on the cochlea break. I do not listen to music at a loud level and have not had anything like this happen before. The snap was random as well. There were no loud noises happening at the time of occurence either. How does this occur?

I was driving today listening to music at a low sound level and felt/heard one of the hairs on the cochlea break. I do not listen to music at a loud level and have not had anything like this happen before. The snap was random as well. There were no loud noises happening at the time of occurence either. How does this occur?

You seem to have an assortment of medical problems.

For this one, if you're concerned or it affected your hearing, I'd see a doctor.

If nothing happened, I don't think you'd know if a hair actually snapped.

Is it normal? Can you answer us as to what it sounds like and let us know how you can know that a hair broke in your ear? By the reply's you got it sounds like no-one has had anything similar. Please explain the phenomenon as you understand it.

I was expecting a comment about how this is normal over time for this to occur due to age. Thanks for the info anyways.

Expecting certain answers to a question makes it sound like you're unwilling to learn. You're also assuming your description of what you heard is accurate, and that's a terrible assumption.

The only other additional information I can provide before this occurrence was that I went for a job interview. I do not know any other relevant information. What else can I provide for a supply of relevant information?

The only other additional information I can provide before this occurrence was that I went for a job interview. I do not know any other relevant information. What else can I provide for a supply of relevant information?

We gave you relevant information, and then you seem to have redefined what relevant means.

The relevant info you can post ausguerila is to answer the questions people put to you.... otherwise it looks like you are trolling. Countless threads started with benign questions about fairly normal everyday occurrences as if there was something strange about them.... like laughing and sneezing.. and then dismissing any questions with the persistence of searching for some weird and wonderful answer... answer the questions!

So, as I asked before, "what is it that makes you think that it was a hair that snapped? How could you possibly know this and what does it sound like?"

Have you got any relevant information about the hairs that convert the vibrations in the air to sound and how damage occurs?

The hairs are mechanically damaged by excessively long or high amplitude vibrations in the fluid; physical stress

Have you got any relevant information about the hairs that convert the vibrations in the air to sound and how damage occurs?

Have you got an internet connection and the ability to use Google?

• 2 weeks later...

That's the 5th time we've asked him now to say what it sounded like and for his reasoning in concluding that it was a breaking hair (rather than just shifting wax or an electrical noise). I was genuinely interested in hearing what he has to say, but I am not holding out for an answer, it's like he just ignores any post and just repeats the question. :-(