Suggestions on a Scientific Calculator

Meteo_Zegarra2018

Hello Everyone,

I'm about to transfer to University at Albany for FALL 2017. I'm a Meteorology Major and Chemistry Minor. I'm writing this because I want to know what's the best scientific calculator in the store right now. The calculators I'm looking at are TI- 36X Pro and Casio FX-115ESPLUS. Also FC-200V

I was wondering if these are the strongest calculators in the market right now. I want one that can be good for my Calculus 2 and 3 classes. Also for Ordinary Differential Equations and possibly in the future Partial Differential Equations.

Also, I'm taking Physics 1 next semester, any suggestions?

Thank you

I will preface this by saying that I have not done much math, either during, before or after undergrad. When I did ODE's and PDE's in undergrad however, we didn't use a calculator at all, and were not allowed one in the exam. You may find that getting such a powerful graphics calculator a waste of resources for similar reasons.

With that said, either the Casio or TI would be fine. When choosing between the two, I would think it's more of a personal preference than anything else.

During my physics undergrad we had a list of allowed calculators for exams and needed to get approval for them.

Anything capable of storing an equation or solving ODEs would not have been allowed.

Check what your college/university says on the matter.

Away from exams you have access to computers so things like Wolfram alpha, mathematical, maple, R, MATLAB, octave etc.. etc... Which are far more powerful than any calculator will be.

Klaynos

Check what your college/university says on the matter.

My calculater says 120% for this +1

The course material may also offer specific routines tailored to a particular machine.

Edited by studiot

• 2 weeks later...