So you have a life purpose?

mad_scientist

What is your dream, goal or life purpose?

Do you have one?

What is your reason for existing?

In what ways do you want to serve others or make this world a better place?

What problems do you want to see being solved in the foreseeable future?

You have to ask my mom or dad about that.

I don't quite get it.

I think there are many websites with videos concerning this subject.

It's good to have one though as if you dont if you ever become depressed you may consider taking your own life.

If you have a life purpose, then your life has meaning and this would significantly improve your quality of life.

Typically religious people have a higher goal or purpose in life but it's not just for religious people, many scientists have life purposes as well whether it's unifying quantum mechanics with classical physics or saving money to help build a library in subsaharan Africa to increase literacy rates there.

Edited by mad_scientist

I am also seriously disabled.

I have a neuromuscular disease which gives a lot of symptoms.

Most important are retinal degeneration and less strength/coordination in my muscles.

I'm pretty skinny and can't walk without help.

I don't have a purpose, I just often find a purpose.

This can be to take care for my garden and I used to do a lot of experiments, which is why I joined this forum.

Oh yeah, what sort of experiments did you do?

Especially concerning science. I made a lot of nitrocellulose :)

http://www.scienceforums.net/topic/93730-burning-nitrocellulose/

I did several elephant toothpaste exp., with yeast, KI, blood and salad.

I made a non-Newtonian fluid with corn starch.

I made several Cartesian divers.

I put Iron powder in a glass jar and played with some strong magnets.

I tried to make a ferromagnetic fluid but it failed.

I placed an egg and a bone in vinegar.

I made hot ice.

I treated sand with a spray to water proof shoes.

Then you get hydrofoob sand.

Now I have the idea to start fermenting stuff to make my own ethanol.

Edited by Itoero

Now I have the idea to start fermenting stuff to make my own ethanol.

Wait couple months, when grapes will be cheaper (September-October), and make your own wine.

To make "pink wine" squeeze grapes, and ferment just juice (from 1 kg of grapes you can get approximately 700-800 mL of juice).

To make "dry red wine" squeeze grapes, and ferment them couple days, without removing remains of grapes from juice. Filter after 2-3 days or more.

Now it's good time for fermenting Cucumbers, and Cabbages.

To make ethanol you would need lab equipment for distillation (graham condenser and perhaps dephlegmator).

Edited by Sensei

Wait couple months, when grapes will be cheaper (September-October), and make your own wine.

To make "pink wine" squeeze grapes, and ferment just juice (from 1 kg of grapes you can get approximately 700-800 mL of juice).

To make "dry red wine" squeeze grapes, and ferment them couple days, without removing remains of grapes from juice. Filter after 2-3 days or more.

To make ethanol you would need lab equipment for distillation (graham condenser and perhaps dephlegmator).

Thanks for the advice. Pink wine is Rosé?

Pink wine is the wine we often drink during and after diner.

I'm doubting to make honey wine, appel cider or a grape wine like Rosé.

Do you heve a good recipe?

Thanks for the advice. Pink wine is Rosé?

Pink wine is the wine we often drink during and after diner.

I'm doubting to make honey wine, appel cider or a grape wine like Rosé.

Do you heve a good recipe?

You're in Belgium - make beer :)

If you do go for wine-making or brewing make sure you follow the sterilisation / cleaning procedures very carefully; the difference in taste can be remarkable.

Sensei has some amazing videos of the cloud-chamber he made - frankly I think cloud-chamber is the best home experiment there is. A little work, not too expensive equipment, safe - and you get to see particle tracks. You can spot large energetic particles, cosmic rays, muons if you are lucky, and even decay cascades if you are the sort of person who wins the lottery

In the US distilling ethanol is illegal, AFAIK.

how many in % ?

Among women between 29-44 with Bachelor's the number is around 30% IIRC. That does not mean that all in this group remain childless (except those at the upper boundary), but it clearly shows that it is not high on the priority list.

In the simplest terms I can think of, the purpose of life is to get better.

Evolution is the way life gets better, or adapts better, to the changing environment.

So my purpose in life is to get better at whatever is of interest to me.

Edited by Airbrush

Life's only purpose is to live, mine is to exist; not sure if there's a difference?

Generally speaking, to merely "exist", as in a vegetative state, or a prisoner in solitary confinement, seems inferior to "live" which is what living beings naturally do.

Did you ever have a dog or cat? You learn from them that what living beings naturally do is have fun.

What they naturally do, is enjoy the moment; they don't always have fun because they don't always enjoy the same emotion.

Generally speaking, to merely "exist", as in a vegetative state, or a prisoner in solitary confinement, seems inferior to "live" which is what living beings naturally do.

How do you know, what is inferior to what?

What they naturally do, is enjoy the moment; they don't always have fun because they don't always enjoy the same emotion.

How do you know, what is inferior to what?

When left to their own devices, dogs and cats like to have fun.

Sorry for the word "inferior", not a good choice. What would you rather do, be in a vegetative state or have the freedom to persue your interests?

When left to their own devices, dogs and cats like to have fun.

They also like to sleep...

What would you rather do, be in a vegetative state or have the freedom to persue your interests?

How would I know, I've never experienced either? Have you?