Way to save about 100 billion dollars and increase production

Kylon

I think it is so stupid that we have to pay outrageous prices for health care because a bunch of people are complete morons and don't take vitamins and supplements.

If people took vitamin and mineral supplements throughout there lives...

A( Increased productivity, healthy workers produce more and can think more and thus increase resources as a whole

B( Quality of life, people have better quality of life they feel better get sick less often and can produce more.

C( Lowered cost of health care, people would not need as much medical treatment because if they are sick less often and have less disorders then they would be healthier PREVENTION IS THE KEY.

If we did this suppose it only took care of 1/10 of all medical problems. Even so that would be 1.5 GNP which translates into 70 Billion + 35 Billion = 105 billion

That 105 billion could be used to take care of other much needed services. 1/4 of that would go into government hands which means that it could be spent on education and what not.

This isn't also counting the increased production caused by healthier workers. Healthier workers means that they can produce alot more $$$. Easier to learn, smarter children, laborers can do more work ect...

what do you think?

I disagree that vitamins and suppliments alone would significantly reduce sickness, but I do agree that to some extent it would help. I think a lot of health issues can be prevented with a healthy diet (which includes vitamins). Americans as a whole have a terrible diet (myself included) which leads to a multitude of medical problems, including obesity; which in itself brings a whole new set of problems.

"C( ... PREVENTION IS THE KEY."

Exactly.

Originally posted by fafalone

If people ate properly there'd be no need for supplements. Since the best diet is the one of our ancestors that we evolved with, supplements were obviously not part of it.

Right. If we ate properly, no need for suppliments.

--

I forgot to add, STOP SMOKING. that would reduce health care costs a bit too.

studies of vitamin supplements show that they do very little, and some of the synthetic vitamins have such a low uptake into the body, that you would be better not bothering. The key to being healthy, as has been said before, is to just eat properly in the first place - which is clearly a problem; the American obesity problem is not caused by lack of vitamins now is it?

• 1 year later...

The legislation for vitamins production is not severe enough. And those who produce them usually take advantage of this.

Let's say you take a polyvitamin for your health. The vitamins in a very small proportion are easily lost if the mixing of the ingrediants is not done properly. There are many factors which influence the production, so no wonder some 'vitamins' have a low effect or not at all.

Eat lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, a moderate amount of seafood, poultry,& low fat dairy products. Avoid starches like bread, potatoes, rice, and pasta, (avoid high fat items - once you give up the starches it's easy, you don't have anything to put them on) & eliminate refined sugar.

In this manner you can eat a sufficient volume of food to get all the vitamins and nutrients you need, without becoming overweight. If you're already overweight, you can get back to a normal size in about a year.

It's not called a diet - it's called "eating right". I lost more than 100# solely by changing my eating habits.

Bottled vitamins are not the answer. Your body doesn't readily absorb vitimins in pill form. Excess water soluble vitamins are flushed through your body - however, one can overdose on fat soluble vitimins.

There ain't no free lunch.