UK Election

Delta1212

We won't know the official results until sometime tomorrow, but based on exit polling, it looks like the election that Theresa May called hoping to extend her lead has ended up costing the Conservatives seats in Parliament and very likely their majority.

Current projections put the breakdown as follows:

Conservatives: 314

Labor: 266

Scottish Nationalist Party: 34

Labor: 14

Anyone a bit more familiar with UK politics than my own very surface level knowledge want to comment on the likelihood of any particular groups being able to form a government under these circumstances?

Doesn't the whole thing (including brexit) has a shooting yourself in the foot repeatedly aspect to it?

I'm glad this has happened. Normally, I prefer to see a clear majority so that policy can be implemented but this time I voted to help reduce that majority and that seems to have been the feeling of the country. I vote on policies not parties. At this point in our history, with Brexit, everyone needs a say.

Even though it didn't go his way, I think David Cameron did the right thing with the referendum from a point of principle and kudos to him for that.

Doesn't the whole thing (including brexit) has a shooting yourself in the foot repeatedly aspect to it?

Yes ,I had the same feeling. As they say ,interesting times.

Brexit vote#2 and what next?

Brexit means f%%kit :)

Even though it didn't go his way, I think David Cameron did the right thing with the referendum from a point of principle and kudos to him for that.

I don't see it quite like that. I see Cameron as a belonging to a highly privileged wealthy minority and he moved into politics because he didn't need to work and he had to do something to get a few kicks. He agreed to a referendum only because he gambled that brexit would not happen. They even had the champagne ready on the night. Being totally divorced from the harsh realities of life in some deprived areas of the country, he along with his chums totally underestimated the grievances people felt (even when unrelated to Europe). So when his little plan fails, he declares he is not putting up with the sh1t and walks out of politics, leaving the country in a political mess. I think the man is a disgrace, and I say this as someone who has never voted for Labour.

It must have been difficult "campaigning" against an apparent no hoper who has ignored all the painful lessons drummed into Labour since the time of Jenkins,Wllliams et al.

Those who the gods would destroy they first make mad.

Sic passit the UK Labour Party :(

With the entire might of Murdoch, the Mail, the Barclay Bros throwing everything they had at Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party they just received the biggest share of the vote that they have received since Clemant Atlee. The Tories were expected to have a majority perhaps of a 100 - of Thatcher/Blair proportions - and they have none. The passing of the Labour Party has been prematurely announced.

I don't think so. It had to be done.

it had to be done to ensure the security of the Conservative and Unionist Party - it was a move purely motivated by internecine rivalries within Cameron's party.

it had to be done to ensure the security of the Conservative and Unionist Party - it was a move purely motivated by internecine rivalries within Cameron's party.

That might have been their motivation but there was sufficient disquiet within the population to justify a referendum. I didn't want to leave but felt that a referendum was necessary to create a clear footing for us either way. Democracy didn't go my way but that's the way it is,

I think there may be a significant dislike of Theresa in the vein of Hilary. I think she wanted a personal mandate as prime minister more than anything else because she succeeded David Cameron.

With the entire might of Murdoch, the Mail, the Barclay Bros throwing everything they had at Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour Party they just received the biggest share of the vote that they have received since Clemant Atlee. The Tories were expected to have a majority perhaps of a 100 - of Thatcher/Blair proportions - and they have none. The passing of the Labour Party has been prematurely announced.

Just because the news magnates behave in that way does not mean it was not deserved. Just ask the Parliamentary Labour Party when they are not in general election mode(perhaps even when they are in election mode).

And just because it served the interests of uniting the Tories (not an ignoble aim on its own terms) does not mean that they were not also (and decisively?) pushed into this by UKIP and popular feeling (with which I disagreed btw) .

It must have been difficult "campaigning" against an apparent no hoper who has ignored all the painful lessons drummed into Labour since the time of Jenkins,Wllliams et al.

Those who the gods would destroy they first make mad.

The Labour party may well still end up as the next government.

It depends on whether the Tories can really stomach sharing power with a bunch of terrorist sympathisers.

Given that May called this election because she thought she would win by a landslide, the outcome is a massive success for Labour.

How can you possibly think it's the end of them?

Just because the news magnates behave in that way does not mean it was not deserved....

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/07/daily-mail-devotes-13-pages-to-attack-on-labour-apologists-for-terror

And then the Tories team up with the actual terrorists- and you say the attack on Labour might be deserved?

I'm glad this has happened. Normally, I prefer to see a clear majority so that policy can be implemented but this time I voted to help reduce that majority and that seems to have been the feeling of the country. I vote on policies not parties. At this point in our history, with Brexit, everyone needs a say.

Me too, the result is the best we could hope for; her aim was a magic mandate that morphs into anything she wants/ is relevant to her.

It depends on whether the Tories can really stomach sharing power with a bunch of terrorist sympathisers.

Given that May called this election because she thought she would win by a landslide, the outcome is a massive success for Labour.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/07/daily-mail-devotes-13-pages-to-attack-on-labour-apologists-for-terror

And then the Tories team up with the actual terrorists- and you say the attack on Labour might be deserved?

Couldn't agree more, the only caveats is how loyal the DUP has been in the recent past and how easily that critique can be deflected; they got better...

Edited by dimreepr

Couldn't agree more, the only caveats is how loyal the DUP has been in the recent past and how easily that critique can be deflected; they got better...

Unfortunately I fear the DUP are a crowd of ignorant bigoted religious nutters, supporting Trump's denial of global warming, against abortion, etc. etc.

easily that critique can be deflected; they got better...

No.

That doesn't work.

If it did, nobody would ever have mentioned what Corbyn was doing in the 70s

However, if you look at the DUP's policies they make Trump or May look reasonable (as Dr Krettin has pointed out)

However, if you look at the DUP's policies they make Trump or May look reasonable

I'm afraid they are a bunch of extremely primitive and stupid Christian fundamentalists. They (used to) have children's playgrounds closed on Sundays, oppose abortion under any circumstances and are openly opposed to homosexuality as a sin. How can the Tories expect to be able to deal with these morons when, for example, the leader of the Scottish Tories is openly gay? Nothing will be agreed this weekend because these bigots refuse to discuss politics on a Sunday but spend all day in church.

On a lighter note, I hear that they will be sending a Conservative and Union Negotiating Team to Brussels, and are looking for a handy acronym for us to remember them.

Of course attacks on Corbyn's dealings with IRA ex leaders and his apparent closeness to Hamas (calling them "friends" ) are reasonable.

The fact that the Tory press has chosen to ,apparently (I don't read them) use them for propaganda purposes does not take my eye off the ball.

I didn't bother reading your article and am not sure what "actual terrorists" the Tories are supposed to be teaming up with . You mean the DUP ?

On a lighter note, I hear that they will be sending a Conservative and Union Negotiating Team to Brussels, and are looking for a handy acronym for us to remember them.

lol, gets my vote +1

Thread,

I'm starting a book on how long Mrs May will last as PM, please help me set the odds with your predictions.

Edited by dimreepr

There was a time when people viewed politicians with some kind of respect. Either these times have gone, or it was a myth and the internet has provided a medium for the insults to be expressed. Teresa May had reduced the number of police, and gave a speech to the Metropolitan police, during which she said it was not the number of police that mattered, but how you employ them. The police were furious. Anyway, the Met Police have an unofficial community forum, and they have just tweeted:

Dear Theresa, it's not the number of MPs that counts, it's how you use them.

There was a time when people viewed politicians with some kind of respect. Either these times have gone, or it was a myth and the internet has provided a medium for the insults to be expressed. Teresa May had reduced the number of police, and gave a speech to the Metropolitan police, during which she said it was not the number of police that mattered, but how you employ them. The police were furious. Anyway, the Met Police have an unofficial community forum, and they have just tweeted:

With regard to police presence: I think a frequent visible presence is important so that they seen an integrated part of a community life and avoids that 'us and them' division. I don't think it's desirable for them to be only seen when there's trouble around.

Edited by StringJunky

I don't think there has ever in human history been a truly universally respected politician. Leastways, not one who was known to more than a couple of hundred people as an upper limit.

Some are more or less respected depending on the individual and the circumstances, and I think both sides of the pond may be at a particularly low point at the moment in that regard.

But people have always said these sorts of things about politicians. Now they're just doing it online instead of in a pub/bar.

Of course attacks on Corbyn's dealings with IRA ex leaders and his apparent closeness to Hamas (calling them "friends" ) are reasonable.

The fact that the Tory press has chosen to ,apparently (I don't read them) use them for propaganda purposes does not take my eye off the ball.

I didn't bother reading your article and am not sure what "actual terrorists" the Tories are supposed to be teaming up with . You mean the DUP ?

Corbyn had contact with IRA leaders and supported some of their actions - May is sharing power with the DUP; do you not see the difference? If it comes to a crunch vote of confidence she will need the DUP to vote with her - that means that they will demand concessions; these will almost certainly be private but will be complied with.

Your eye is so far off the ball that it is hard to take seriously - the leader of the largest party is forming a government which requires the support of young-earthers, of religious zelots, of rabid homophobes, of the political wing of the loyalist paramilitaries YET you are concentrating on the erstwhile friendships of the leader of the opposition. Do you not see how blinkered that appears - or perhaps how mendacious?