Why are Mexicans so hard working but not getting anywhere?

mad_scientist

I have heard that Mexicans put out the most number of hours for work globally (https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/nationalities-that-work-the-longest-hours/amp/). This goes against certain stereotypes which like to point to the idea that Mexicans are unproductive and like to take siestas all day.

However, if Mexicans work so hard, why aren't they a developed nation like South Korea or Japan or Singapore which many countries look up to as model economies/countries and try to emulate? Singapore and South Korea were both colonized by the Japanese but their nations have grown in only a few decades from very humble beginnings.

In your opinion, what is the ideal number of hours to work in a typical work week?

Edited by mad_scientist

The richest man in the world (by some metrics a few years ago) was Mexican - so maybe the problem is inequality.

Singapore was never colonized by the Japanese - it was invaded and ruled by the Japanese during the second world war; the major colonial power in the age of empire was the British and before that it was Malay / Javan.

I think you need to be very clear on what your premises are and if they are true before trying to get to a conclusion. At the moment they are simplistic and in part false

What are you basing "developed nation" on? I was at the International Astronautical Congress in Guadalajara last year, and met members of Mexico's space agency. Why do you claim they aren't "getting anywhere"?

I have heard that Mexicans put out the most number of hours for work globally (https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/nationalities-that-work-the-longest-hours/amp/). This goes against certain stereotypes which like to point to the idea that Mexicans are unproductive and like to take siestas all day.

However, if Mexicans work so hard, why aren't they a developed nation like South Korea or Japan or Singapore which many countries look up to as model economies/countries and try to emulate? Singapore and South Korea were both colonized by the Japanese but their nations have grown in only a few decades from very humble beginnings.

I think one obvious conclusion one can draw from the observation(s) is that the number of hours worked is not strongly responsible for wealth creation.