Wana Believe/Reject Space Bending Theories ?

I have got an Idea to test space bending theory right here from earth. But please tell me if this experiment has already been tested anywhere ?

I am posting this thread in this forum because it has to do with observations.

Look at this image Blackhole.GIF The space is bend near the black hole, if you follow the red line then in the area where space is bend ( or streched ) , U will cover the distance in a shorter distance, right ?

Now the Experiment :

We have seen many space photos with lens effects. Now, if we can determine the events of the object whoes multiple images are seen; then we should note the delay between events of the different images of the same object. If the space is bending then its gona take less time for the light to reach us from that path, so different images of the same objects one event should reach us at different intervals depending on the closeness of the light path near the lightbending gravity object such as black holes.

ec.jpg

I request the believers of space bending to show us good pics if they know any.

Thanks, Swansont. But now I am completely confused , more than before, being an amature, I am always taken for a ride by these scientist.

I was happy to quote here that due to space bending the time taken by the light must be less than what would occur other wise. because space is streched neear blackhole light should take less time than would other wise to travel the same distance. :confused::rolleyes::embarass:

The curvature makes it take longer.

Standard disclaimer: I'm not a GR expert. To the best of my understanding, though:

The light appears to slow down when travelling in a gravity well. In GR terms, there is curvature, and that makes the path length longer, so the light appears to slow according to an outside observer, who thinks in terms of space being flat. If you think of things in classical terms, the only way to bend light is if it slows down (i.e. an index of refraction >1)

Nope, I dont believe U swansont, That is not what I have been hearing since childhood, Or else how will we travel faster than speed of light using Space bending ? Show me some good web links created by other than U.

Nope, I dont believe U swansont,

That doesn't mean he's wrong

That is not what I have been hearing since childhood,

That doesn't make your view correct

Or else how will we travel faster than speed of light using Space bending ?

We can't

Show me some good web links created by other than U.

You should be able to use google as well as swansont or myself can.

As for what swansont said, it is true, light travels the shortest distance between 2 points (this is normally referred to as a line) however when space-time is bent the shortest path between two points is to follow the curevature or space-time, so the photons follows what, to an outside obsever see as, a curved path. This makes the light seem to be travelling slower.

Nope, I dont believe U swansont, That is not what I have been hearing since childhood, Or else how will we travel faster than speed of light using Space bending ?

Remember: Star Trek is fiction.

If I can say something, The thing is that light has escape velocity to escape many things. The only thing it can't escape is a black hole. If light can't escape a black hole, that is where the light would appear to go a different direction (as long as it wouldn't cross the event horizon!) Anyway, if light were to go only in one certain direction, how would we see things? I thought light covered a whole area and it has no intended path.

We see things when light reflects of that object at the right angle to go straight into our eyes (and hit the retina) where it is sensed and a signal sent to the brain. You can't see light travelling past you, look at a laser, you can't see the beam unless it is high enough power for a significant amount to bounce of air molecules or the air is dense enough.

What is this heresy you speak of!? Star Trek...fiction? Nope, I don't believe you swansont, that is not what I have been hearing since childhood.

A friend with whom I went to high school used to work for the show (science consultant and writer for ST:TNG). I've suggested things that ended up on the screen. So either it's ficton or I AM A GOD AND YOU WILL KNEEL DOWN BEFORE ME. Your call. :)

You can't see light travelling past you, look at a laser, you can't see the beam unless it is high enough power for a significant amount to bounce of air molecules or the air is dense enough.

And if you look straight at it, well, you only do that once.

"Do not look into laser with remaining eye"

edit: I put this sign up in my lab the other day. heh, heh, heh.

A friend with whom I went to high school used to work for the show (science consultant and writer for ST:TNG). I've suggested things that ended up on the screen. So either it's ficton or I AM A GOD AND YOU WILL KNEEL DOWN BEFORE ME.[/size'] Your call. :)

what kind of things did you suggest?

what kind of things did you suggest?

In "The First Duty" it was the Kolvoord Starburst (though my "working name" was different and not suitible for airing: The Andorrian Clusterf***). That was my friend's first script, and he had a rough outline of the episode but hadn't yet figured out how Wesley gets in trouble. I suggested a dangerous "aerial" (spacial?) maneuver like the Blue Angels. Another friend was studying plasma physics at the time and suggested the "igniting the plasma" part. The script reference to Josh helping Wes with his Statistical Mechanics is a reference to the two of us in grad school, who had just taken (and hated) that particular class.

We also wanted to kill Wes, but obviously that couldn't happen. So we begged for him to be injured. Viola'! Broken arm and second degree burns.

I also know that much of Picard's dialogue at the end was originally supposed to be Locarno's speech in front of the inquest, but I imagine lines getting taken away from the guests and given to the stars is par for the course.

In "Starship Mine" it was supposed to be an "exotic anti-baryon sweep" but it got chopped to "baryon sweep" in the script, which sounded a bit silly - that's protons and neutrons.

"the first duty" is one of my favourite episodes.

i remember the baryon sweep thing. the first time i saw that episode, i kinda chuckled. the baryon sweep would be dangerous, considering there would be no ship left after said sweep.

I closed this thread because Deviation got what he was asking for from swansont. And yes, curvature should make light take longer. You can demonstrate this with a ruler in your living room. Pick two points. Measure the distance between them in a straight line. Then, create a large curve between the two points with a piece of string. Measure the length of the string and you'll see the distance is greater. Thus something that is travelling at a constant speed will take longer to pass through a curve then it would in a straight line.