Why? the need of an air compressor at a nuclear plant.

Why do you question the need? Are you sure the compressors are for air, and not hydrogen for cooling the turbines and core?

Alternatively, some backup generators use compressed air to help them start. I would expect a power facility to be fully equipped, and I don't see why an air compressor is outside those parameters.

Ok .So !~what is the function of the air ?

I get the feeling you read about something you don't understand, and are now trying to ridicule it. Perhaps you could link us to the story so we can get some context? Right now this seems like you're objecting to a fairly standard piece of equipment in a facility that could use it in many different ways, and asking us to list them. I'm not invested enough in your questions to do this.

Ok .So !~what is the function of the air ?

There is more than one design of nuclear power plant, and they are generally quite complex. You're going to have to be specific. We're not mind-readers.

what is the function of the air ? with a nuclear reactor in operation.

Are you implying that, with a nuclear reactor, you don't need anything else?

I found a company that makes compressors for nuclear plants, and one of the things they use air for is to kickstart emergency generators. Do you really need any more reasons? Why are you so concerned that there are air compressors at a nuclear plant?

Asking "do they use an air compressor in a nuclear power plant" is like asking Do they use 10mm spanners? or Do they use tap water? Or Do they use a fork lift truck?

It is a standard piece of industrial equipment, so they probably use them for something as power plants are huge industrial places.

"what is the function of a 2 mm screw in a n'power plant"?

QUOTE "related to the shut down of the nuclear reactor"

Which nuclear reactor? I would assume, with all the many different designs, that they all have different shutdown procedures. Which one are you talking about that uses compressed air in that sequence?

As has been said before - it probably drives some mechanical part somewhere in the sequence. I would imagine they have many uses for it, the same way they have many uses for water, screws and levers.

QUOTE "related to the shut down of the nuclear reactor"

Which nuclear reactor? I would assume, with all the many different designs, that they all have different shutdown procedures. Which one are you talking about that uses compressed air in that sequence?

As has been said before - it probably drives some mechanical part somewhere in the sequence. I would imagine they have many uses for it, the same way they have many uses for water, screws and levers.

fast breeder Reactor

I wouldn't know exactly what a nuclear plant uses compressed air for, but I have read that the lion's share (by a large margin) of the equipment associated with nuclear plants is usually related to the safety systems as opposed to the actual energy producing part.

in the reactor chamber

Where did you learn that compressed air is used in the reactor chamber?

Anyway, one way it's used

http://www.airbestpractices.com/industries/power/instrument-air-nuclear-power-plants

"Instrument Air system normally operated with two compressors in run, one in standby, supporting the operation of Units 1 and 2 air operated valves and instruments"

http://www.airbestpractices.com/industries/power/instrument-air-nuclear-power-plants

"Instrument Air system normally operated with two compressors in run, one in standby, supporting the operation of Units 1 and 2 air operated valves and instruments"

well I do know that the containment vessel or Reactor chamber is pressurized .Why?

First it is necessary to distinguish between compressors installed as part of the nuclear power plant and those which are on site for running tools and equipment.

So installed compressors.

What does nuclear power produce?

Large quantities of heat; it does not produce electricity.

So the heat has to be used in some form of conventional electricity generator using conventional thermodynamic machinery.

So steam or other gas turbines to drive the generators.

The steam or gas is pumped to its destination.

A compressor is a pump for gas.

Compressed gas can also be used to drive machinery (more of the safety aspects of this in a moment).

The steam or gas is used to remove heat (cool) the reactor.

In some reactors the reactor itself is liquid cooled and the heat transferred to steam/gas via a heat exchanger.

Either way the immediate ractor coolant is separated from the output hot gas by at least one stage of heat exchanger to avoid transferring radiation with the heat.

Now the plant, as a whole, generates electricity.

But electricity itself can't be stored in significant quantities so if the generators break down then there is no electricity to run electricl pumps.

So for safety reasons the machinery is mechanically driven and this usually means indirectly via a compressor and / or turbine.

It is particularly poignant to realise that the mechanisms to damped the nuclear reactions should not depend upon electricity to operated and compressed gas is the ideal answer.

Compressed gas can be stored

Offers no fire or spark risk like electricity

Can be instantly available

Offers no shock risk like electricity

For this reason air tools are used in hazardous atmospheres, in preference to electric tools.

Air tools are usually lighter and harder wearing than their electric equivalents as well.

Roger, if you had offered a better (more detailed) question in the first place you might have received this sort of response earlier.

well I do know that the containment vessel or Reactor chamber is pressurized .Why?

At higher pressure, water boils at a higher temperature. The water (steam) therefore contains more energy, and producing energy is the whole point.

/quote]thanks for the expose and I agree and what you're saying here its true!~

What I would like to Know !~ is why the reactor chamber is pressurize; there must be a good reason I suppose .

/quote]thanks for the expose and I agree and what you're saying here its true!~What I would like to Know !~ is why the reactor chamber is pressurize; there must be a good reason I suppose .

What distinction are you drawing between chamber and vessel?