high speed internet

ydoaPs

which is better  

1 member has voted

1. 1. which is better

In the UK i'd say cable is better (or at least where you can get telewest (an ISP) instead of ntl (crap ISP)) but you're in the US so things might well be different. I guess DSL has a bit more flexibility in general as it allows you to change ISP without having to change equipment.

so in short, it depends on your local circumstances.

A drawback of cable is that in many cases you are sharing bandwith with other people on the system.

I've heard (and this may be wrong) that Cable is also easier to modify/expand (by the company), so if too many people in an area are on it, it can be upgraded so they don't slow you down as much.

Mokele

I chose DSL, the reason being, is that they're sending the signal through pre-existing telephone wire. I don't have cable, and to lay cable down my 500 ft. driveway would be quite expensive, so DSL is a much better investment for my family.

ecoli, do you live in a mansion or something!?! Or just up in some random mountain range in a little abandoned hut and chose to call the surrounding mountains a driveway!?! ;):confused:

ecoli, do you live in a mansion or something!?! Or just up in some random mountain range in a little abandoned hut and chose to call the surrounding mountains a driveway!?! ;):confused:

Actually a live in a two story ranch in the middle of suburbia, Long Island. It just happens that my house is on 2.5 acres of land surrounded by woods, only of the only patches of land not yet developed in my town.

This is an old ariel of my house...you can kind of see my driveway, and there are a lot less trees around now.

myhouse.bmp

• 2 weeks later...

If you use web hosting I would go with DSL because the upload speed is equal to your download speed. With cable up speed is half as much.

It seems that the provider choice is more important than the DSL/cable choice though.