BH question

so, how does the relative wave rates appear to the two astronauts even if that analogy is erroneous...?...it would seem that the infalling astronaut's perceived reflection would travel twice the distance in the high gravity field, with his wave rate slowing twice what his friend sees, and that the infalling astronaut sees his reflection as if from a remote observer's virtual position twice the distance of the stationary friend...

I order to clarify a point, what if the two astronauts agreed that they both will wave and at identical rates. Would the infalling astronaut see the same slowing of wave rate of his friend that his friend sees of him? IOW, does the appearance of time dilation work equally both directions?

Edited by hoola

Light, or any signal, loses energy climbing OUT of a gravitational well, i.e. it is red-shifted/loses frequency or waves per second.

Light, or any signal, gains energy falling INTO a gravitational well, i.e. it is blue-shifted/gains frequency or waves per second.

Light is both , a clock and a signal. It is climbing out of the gravity well, and its wavelength stretched/ frequency reduced, and then falling back into the gravity well, with the reverse effects. You would think there would be no difference to what the infalling observer sees reflected from the mirror, as opposed to the faraway observer who only sees the signal climbing out.

Although, because the falling observer has moved since the light was emitted and bounced back, they will see the light blue shifted (and the clock ticking faster). There will also be a Doppler effect.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose this whole idea of observed waving speeds for both astronauts is dependent upon the size of the BH in question due to the smaller gravitational gradients apparent with ever larger BHs...but if the falling observer of his reflection gets the light waves redshifted going out and bliue shifted going in, wouldn't he see his reflection waving in sync with his own hand waving locally, independent of size, while his friend's observed decay rate of wave freq. of him is BH size dependent?

Edited by hoola