The Combustion of Gasoline

Guest standmatt

Guest standmatt

Ok everybody, I have an assignment due for chemistry really soon about the combustion of gasoline. Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe that the general formula for Gasoline is C8H18. When it reacts with O2 in a combustion reaction it produces CO2, Water, and CO. How does it produce CO? I know that water and carbon dioxide are the standard products for any combustion involving an organic molecule, so where does the CO come from. Is it because it doesn't burn all the way? Anyone with even just an inkling of knowledge on this subject, please respond. (Links are welcome as well)

Thanks

• 9 months later...
ed84c said in post # :

A Pt catalytic convertor will however convert this back into CO2

no it doesnt :)

how could it without needing to me emptied of carbon every 100 yards or so? it is indeed for the NOx gasses.

• 1 year later...

The heat and pressure inside the engine cause atmospheric nitrogen to oxidize inside the engine. Also, the fuel being burned isn't pure hydrocarbon. Their are various nitrogen containing compounds in there which wind up turning into the nitrogen oxides.

SO2 again comes from sulfur in the fuels. There are a lot of sulfur containing organic compounds in petrol and gasoline, so they wind up being included in our engine fuel and when burned they form the sulfur dioxide.