i need help with a safe air tank thickness to psi ratio for metals

Ben88012

so i was compressing a small air tank i made for my homemade air powered car and it ruptured at around 5000 psi

lucky me that I put it in my small very thick steel "blast box" that directed the air away from me.

before I proceed to higher pressures, I need a ratio of thickness to pressure for metals and different things like carbon fiber for safety. also how many joules of energy are in one gallon container of air at 10000-20000 psi at room temp. I need to know for how many miles I can get out of my car

I have lots of safety tests to do before I build it

Edited by Ben88012

If you are looking for a ratio the simplistic one for a cylinder is something like the ratio of the diameter of the vessel to the wall thickness must not exceed twice the ratio of the tensile strength to the pressure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_stress

But, no matter how clever the design is, make sure you proof test it with water, not gas.

i was planning on putting the pumps in a staged pressure chamber series to increase pressure

for example: if I were to put a 5000 psi pump in a 5000 psi tank that is pressurized I can theoretically get 10000 psi out of it as long as I take the air from the inside of the tank

for compressors I first used a pcp air gun hand pump

then I used a scuba pump inside of a tank to further pressurize

of course it will also work with a scuba pump initiation

Edited by Ben88012

A very serious hydraulic pump may reach those serious pressures.

If there is air above the surface of the hydraulic fluid, you may reach those serious air pressures by using a hydraulic pump.

If the proper fluid does not self-ignite !

A serious container of guessing 3 inches wall perhaps can contain 20000psi

Scuba air compressors will not go beyond 4500psi. Scuba tanks are for 3000psi and their wall is around 0.5" at most.

Do your calculations on the volume of air that the car motor needs per revolution; the volume of air before compressing that fitted in the reservoir, and you will know how many blocks can run.