Where can I take a legitimate IQ test?

Code42

It depends on what you consider legitimate. Some would argue that the whole premise of an IQ test isn't legitimate.

That being said, the most ''legitimate'' way is to find a mensa location near your location and take a test. Second best would be to take the internet mensa IQ test:

https://www.mensaiqtest.net/

I've seen another one that shows up first based on your first language.

The third best, and really shitty option is to take alternative online tests which often give ridiculous results.

What is a legitimate IQ test?

Not sure. I'm just wondering where people get their IQs measured. I've taken some online tests, but I'm not for sure if they're regarded as accurate or legitimate.

It depends on what you consider legitimate. Some would argue that the whole premise of an IQ test isn't legitimate.

That being said, the most ''legitimate'' way is to find a mensa location near your location and take a test. Second best would be to take the internet mensa IQ test:

I played around with the MENSA tests many years ago - unless they've improved them considerably, the last few sections were very much aimed at finding whether you "went to the right kind of school, old boy." (to be said in a phony upper crust English accent).

Edited by Manticore

I played around with the MENSA tests many years ago - unless they've improved them considerably, the last few sections were very much aimed at finding whether you "went to the right kind of school, old boy." (to be said in a phony upper crust English accent).

Me too, but they wanted money to show how clever I was, I didn't want to pay, so I'm thick a shit.

Edited by dimreepr

Took the Mensa test. Asked for money. I thought, what the hell, I'm curious enough how I did. 120. I believe them I guess. Sounds about right. Not too smart, but definitely not stupid.

https://www.mensaiqtest.net/

Note that they demand money after asking you loads of questions. They don't warn you about that up front. So, I have no idea what they think my IQ is, but I am smart enough not to give them any money. (Edit: no offence to Code42!)

Too many of the questions rely on knowledge not intelligence. There is one asking what coins would be needed to needed to make $0.41 in change. I don't even know what the numerical value of most of the coins is and so there is no way I could answer.

And I could argue for all five options in the "which of the following is least like the others" questions.

Edited by Strange

Note that they demand money after asking you loads of questions. They don't warn you about that up front.

I didn't know that. I was doing the European one, which is based on your first language. It didn't ask me for money. It's ridiculous that they do. The questions in it were fair enough.

Too many of the questions rely on knowledge not intelligence. There is one asking what coins would be needed to needed to make $0.41 in change. I don't even know what the numerical value of most of the coins is and so there is no way I could answer.

Yes, this. My opinion is that there is such a thing as measurable intelligence, only we are very far from designing appropriate tests for them. Many people question the whole concept of intelligence because of that, but I feel strongly that our tests are too stupid and primitive to convey it properly. There IS a correlation with high IQ scores and success of the people who do well on them, but with an unnaceptable margin of error.

Took the Mensa test. Asked for money. I thought, what the hell, I'm curious enough how I did. 120. I believe them I guess. Sounds about right. Not too smart, but definitely not stupid.

Good to hear honesty. I wouldn't say that you are stupid, based on that. I've been hearing too many people who think they are far more intelligent than they are being told/shown.

Yes, this. My opinion is that there is such a thing as measurable intelligence, only we are very far from designing appropriate tests for them. Many people question the whole concept of intelligence because of that, but I feel strongly that our tests are too stupid and primitive to convey it properly. There IS a correlation with high IQ scores and success of the people who do well on them, but with an unnaceptable margin of error.

Typically, the people with the highest IQ(from real tests, administered at times like elementary or middle school) seem to be interesting people in general, while also having more success. But yes, with an unacceptable margin of error.

My theory is that IQ measures the ability of somebody to adapt to abstract problems, and recognize what is the most logical path to follow. Now logical doesn't equate to correct, because they might decide the logic based on different ideas of where they want to go.

On top of that, sometimes, there are two both good logical paths, and you're trying to pick the simplest one(in the case of an IQ test) of them. Even though there are multiple correct ones.

And since the correlation shows people with higher IQ's have a slightly larger chance of success(defining success as money, career, etc. Even if that isn't how you decide success, it's what the study meant.) , you can conclude that the higher you score on an IQ test, the more likely that your thinking will make you successful.

Regardless though, the margin of error is too large to say that you have to have a high IQ, and it's also too large to say that a high IQ will make you succeed.

Edited by Raider5678

Typically, the people with the highest IQ(from real tests, administered at times like elementary or middle school) seem to be interesting people in general, while also having more success. But yes, with an unacceptable margin of error.

My theory is that IQ measures the ability of somebody to adapt to abstract problems, and recognize what is the most logical path to follow. Now logical doesn't equate to correct, because they might decide the logic based on different ideas of where they want to go.

On top of that, sometimes, there are two both good logical paths, and you're trying to pick the simplest one(in the case of an IQ test) of them. Even though there are multiple correct ones.

And since the correlation shows people with higher IQ's have a slightly larger chance of success(defining success as money, career, etc. Even if that isn't how you decide success, it's what the study meant.) , you can conclude that the higher you score on an IQ test, the more likely that your thinking will make you successful.

Regardless though, the margin of error is too large to say that you have to have a high IQ, and it's also too large to say that a high IQ will make you succeed.

At best that's QI.

My theory is that IQ measures the ability of somebody to adapt to abstract problems, and recognize what is the most logical path to follow. ...

My theory is that IQ is a measure of how well you can do IQ tests.

(and a poor measure of anything else)

(and a poor measure of anything else)

It shows a correlation with success.

There's a margin or error, yes, but there's still a very true correlation.

What do you say that is?

At best that's QI.

What?

I agree with everything said here.

As I was about to say and Raider already did, there is a statistical correlation between ''high IQ'' and success. Not just success, but mathematical ability, rates of finishing college etc.

No one is arguing that IQ is the absolute measure of intelligence, but it has some faint indications.

One thing often overlooked is that the results for the ''normal ranges'' mean less than the ''extreme ranges''. That is to say, someone who gets an IQ of, say, 170 in a legitimate test (whatever that means) is much more likely to be considered an intelligent individual and be successful than a 120 guy is to be perceived as above-average.

I agree with everything said here.

As I was about to say and Raider already did, there is a statistical correlation between ''high IQ'' and success. Not just success, but mathematical ability, rates of finishing college etc.

No one is arguing that IQ is the absolute measure of intelligence, but it has some faint indications.

One thing often overlooked is that the results for the ''normal ranges'' mean less than the ''extreme ranges''. That is to say, someone who gets an IQ of, say, 170 in a legitimate test (whatever that means) is much more likely to be considered an intelligent individual and be successful than a 120 guy is to be perceived as above-average.

I knew a homeless guy with an IQ of supposedly 167.

When I was about 10 he stopped using drugs and everything and cleaned up his life, and decided to start a business.

He's soon going to be a multi millionaire.

I knew a homeless guy with an IQ of supposedly 167.

When I was about 10 he stopped using drugs and everything and cleaned up his life, and decided to start a business.

He's soon going to be a multi millionaire.

That's a sign of strong character rather than intelligence.

Gladwell's Outliers argues that up to about IQ 125 you can show a correlation between higher IQ and career success, but IQ in excess of 125 doesn't seem to have much measurable impact on success.

Edited by KipIngram

Gladwell's Outliers argues that up to about IQ 125 you can show a correlation between higher IQ and career success, but IQ in excess of 125 doesn't seem to have much measurable impact on success.

Ever meet a normal person with an IQ of 190?

I haven't.

Kidding.

But I would say the meaningfulness negates at about 145-160.

Edited by Raider5678

Well, he also states in that book that people with VERY high IQs sometimes do less well; they have difficulty "fitting in." But the reason I mentioned it was mostly because of the "up to 125" point - there is a measurable correlation between IQ and success up to there, implying that it does "matter." That's a refutation to those who dismiss the whole business of IQ. It's measuring something that contributes to success in at least parts of the spectrum.