Nuclear reactors

insane_alien

In the 1950's the American's designed one to go into a plane. You might try googling for that.

[Kilbarchan is not a million miles from Glengarnock' date= is it?]

I've heard of glengarnock so i think it might be close. kilbarchan is just outside johnstone.

Just out of curiosity what is the smallest possible fission reactor (not an rtg) with basic safety precautions i.e. radiation sheilding. ? the dimensions would be helpful.

Depends on what, exactly, the dimensions must include. Just the core, or the core and the primary loop(s), or that and the steam generating system?

There is a small reactor on the US Navy's deep-diving research sub, NR-1. The reactor has been described as being the size of a garbage can (50-ish gallon variety). This diagram shows the whole reactor compartment being maybe 15 feet long and 12 feet in diameter.

Many universities have small reactors that generate a small amount of power, and are quite small. I imagine there's quite a bit of difference if you want a reactor that puts out 1 MW vs 1W.

i mean whole thing(i should have stated that) basically up the the point where you got a couple of wires sticking out to draw power from. i'm not bothered about the generation capacity i was just wondering how small they could be but still produce power from controlled fission

By your definition, my keychain is probably one of the smallest nuclear reactors.

It's a plastic & glass vial filled with tritum gas and a coating of phosphor. The tritum decays (fission), releases electrons, and generates light (energy). The power output is minisucle, but it's nuclear power never the less.

Maybe you should clearify your definition.

trtium is a radioisotope. therefore if you turned your keychain into a generator it would be an rtg radio-thermal isotope generator. i am meaning fission as in what goes on inside a commercial nuclear power station. i think that should be it clear now. tritium is more likely to be found in a fusion reactor anyway.

edit: looking back at my first post i see that i did state that it wasn't to be an rtg. i think you got it mxed up but its an easy mistake to make i used to do it all the time.

By your definition' date=' my keychain is probably one of the smallest nuclear reactors.

It's a plastic & glass vial filled with tritum gas and a coating of phosphor. The tritum decays (fission), releases electrons, and generates light (energy). The power output is minisucle, but it's nuclear power never the less.

Maybe you should clearify your definition.[/quote']

Beta decay is not fission.