Fun with Weather RADAR

Pangloss

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ridge/

This is, I believe, part of the stuff that Rick Santorum and the AccuWeather folks want to stop (see recent discussion on the politics board). This particular system integrates weather radar with "geospatial elements", i.e. terrain, highways, and political lines (county/state borders, etc).

I'm not certain of this, and it doesn't say anything about it in the PDF that's linked on that page, but I believe the system also incorporates new passive RADAR technology that exploits the proliferation of digital television broadcast signals. Passive RADAR is nothing new, but digital signals are supposedly better at reflecting off weather (sure seems to be the case in OTA HDTV reception), and combined with modern computer power, the potential is apparently pretty good.

Anyway, I just thought people might want to check it out. You can go to that page and click on the dot nearest you, and it will bring up a display of your area with weather radar overlaid on top of it. Kinda cool.

Be sure and play around with the buttons on the left, that's what makes it cool. Especially the looping feature.

• 2 weeks later...