Just an idea about AIDS cure.

AnmolSingh

I was just thinking about how to avoid death in AIDS.... I thought of an idea....we know that ADA can be treated by using recombinant DNA techniques..... so what if we go to the sourse of the production of leucocytes... the bone marrow.... can't we make artificial bone marrow with recombinant DNA..... using the same technique can't we transfer the function of T-lymphocyte and neutrophil(which is 60-65% of wbc's ) and then do a bone marrow transfer as done in leukaemia....of the artificially made bone marrow... so even though our T helper cells die... our antibodies keep on producing lowering the risk of other diseases..and thus avoiding death maybe....it's just an idea. I don't know that if there is enough technology to do it. Or if we can try to just change the glycoprotein I.e CD of our T-lymphocyte so that HIV can't cause any infection ?

I was just thinking about how to avoid death in AIDS.... I thought of an idea....we know that ADA can be treated by using recombinant DNA techniques..... so what if we go to the sourse of the production of leucocytes... the bone marrow.... can't we make artificial bone marrow with recombinant DNA..... using the same technique can't we transfer the function of T-lymphocyte and neutrophil(which is 60-65% of wbc's ) and then do a bone marrow transfer as done in leukaemia....of the artificially made bone marrow... so even though our T helper cells die... our antibodies keep on producing lowering the risk of other diseases..and thus avoiding death maybe....it's just an idea. I don't know that if there is enough technology to do it. Or if we can try to just change the glycoprotein I.e CD of our T-lymphocyte so that HIV can't cause any infection ?

We can't change the CD4 (which I guess you are aiming at) in our T lympho's, since then they simply won't work as desired anymore.

The way HIV infects and destroys CD4-positive T-lymphocytes is by their CCR5-receptor.

If you find a way to modify T-cell stem cells to lose their CCR5, be my guest. Fun fact: around 1% of the total population is naturally CCR5-negative, so they won't be able to develop aids from HIV.

We can't change the CD4 (which I guess you are aiming at) in our T lympho's, since then they simply won't work as desired anymore.

The way HIV infects and destroys CD4-positive T-lymphocytes is by their CCR5-receptor.

If you find a way to modify T-cell stem cells to lose their CCR5, be my guest. Fun fact: around 1% of the total population is naturally CCR5-negative, so they won't be able to develop aids from HIV.

Does that mean they are immune to all pathological effects from hiv?

Hmm... I didn't knew that.. thanks for telling.. so why is AIDS considered dangerous.... also what about the artificial bone marrow idea?

Because it weakens your immune system and allows opportunistic viruses to kill you.

I am talking about the dangerous term as related to CD... the fact he told ...according to which the cure of AIDS is naturally present in 1% of human population and thus help a lot ....... so if we can study their genomics.... we can cure it...maybe? Edited by AnmolSingh

More resistant, but companies have looked into this and developed treatments based on it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCR5#HIV

I think I read HIV is more manageable now than in the past. Still could use a true cure though.

Don't ask for a citation but it was quite recently, whilst looking stuff upon hep c, I read the typical proportion of years of life lost is now about 10%. 6 or 7 years. it's near parity with uninfected people. for those undergoing treatment.

How about making "fake modified T-cells", which have CCR5, like original one, but everything else in them is disabled.

So once they are introduced to human body (drip), they are capturing majority of viruses from blood.

Later they can be identified by unique part on surface (due to modification), and expelled from human body.

Edited by Sensei

How about making "fake modified T-cells", which have CCR5, like original one, but everything else in them is disabled.

So once they are introduced to human body (drip), they are capturing majority of viruses from blood.

Later they can be identified by unique part on surface (due to modification), and expelled from human body.

Not possible: the virus will replicate incredibly fast, whether it be real or bait T-lympho's (BTL). How were you planning on extracting each and every BTL from the body without even leaving one infected one?

Moreover, the virus will still bind to CCR5's on regular, real T-lympho's, there's no way in directing the virus towards the BTLs, unless you would inject more BTLs than we would have regular T-lymho's, and have thousands, if not millions of CCR5s be expressed on their cell surface.