Degree in electrical engineering.

scguy

I am going to be doing a degree in electrical engineering once i have finished my A-levels (maths/physics). I will have approx 9 months before i start and i would like to learn some theory as i only really do pretty basic stuff in physics with regards to circuits etc.

What kind of books should i start out with to get me at a reasonable level of knowledge before i start the course?

I am going to be doing a degree in electrical engineering once i have finished my A-levels (maths/physics). I will have approx 9 months before i start and i would like to learn some theory as i only really do pretty basic stuff in physics with regards to circuits etc.

What kind of books should i start out with to get me at a reasonable level of knowledge before i start the course?

You should follow along with the courses. Books are expensive and simply flipping through them doesn't constitute training. On the other hand, your lecture/recitation notes and problem sets are invaluable. If you still feel the need to trudge ahead, why not try building up a foundation with differential equations, linear algebra, probability, approximation and real and complex analysis? No one expects you to have an in depth understanding of any of these subjects--in fact, an introductory diff eq should touch on basic linear algebra and analysis (transforms).

Rev Prez

It looks like you have great enthusiasm for your college studies. Fortunately enough, most college syllabuses prepare you for everything you need to know. In fact, they will start anew as if you don't know any science or math at all (maybe algebra II and geometry needed). For the first 2 or even 3 years pursuing the degree, you will be studying the fundamentals. For the first year, you will probably spend time reviewing the physics, chemistry, and mathematical knowledge required to understand those fundamentals. Electrical engineering currently usually refers to electrical power engineering. I'm not sure if this is the case at your college, as most schools have a separate program for Electronic engineering.

I'll mention here only the introductory material subjects that you will need to know in order to pursue the fundamental topics in electrical engineering later on (control engineering, power distribution systems, digital electronics, analogue electronics, high frequency systems & electromagnetics, wireless communication principles, etc). You will prepare for these topics through your first and second year courses.

[Mathematics]

First and foremost, you will need mathemetics. I understand that calculus is not a requisite in the A-levels, unless you are doing Further Mathematics, so that will be a good topic to study. Knowing calculus will be of great help, especially when your professor starts on things like vector calculus and differential equations. Strong basics will be of great help. Other topics that might be of use: imaginary numbers, complex numbers, series and sequences, and matrices and vectors

[science]

Subjects that you will be doing in your first year will probably include Physics, especially in the department of electromagnetics, optical, and quantum physics. These subjects should be familiar to you from your A-levels. College level material will add in more mathematical formality and of course that hated calculus. Nonetheless, being aware of these phenomena will give you a good start.

Undoubtedly, you will take a course on Electric Circuits. Find yourself a good book that you can understand well, for this material is fundamental beyond fundamental as an electrical engineer. Ohm's law, Kirchoff's Law, complex resistance (impedence), basic electrical components (inductors, capacitors, resistors), and power will be revisited. New topics will include Nodal and Mesh Analysis, superposition, Thevenin's and Norton's Theorem, phasors and AC analysis, complex power, and if you are unfortunate enough Laplace and Fourier transforms.

Lastly, you are bound to take a couple of "irrelevant subjects" (you'll know what they are) just for the heck of a "comprehensive education".

Books:

[serway, Physics for Scientists and Engineers]

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0534408427/qid=1117718072/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/104-9450055-9175101?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

[Alexander, Fundamentals of Electric Circuits]

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/007249350X/ref=sib_rdr_dp/104-9450055-9175101

The course is completed over a 3 year period (full time), after the core syllabus is completed i have a choice of many different fields: computer science, communication equipment, medical equipment, microelectronics and processors. There is a few more but i cannot recite them off of the top of my head, i have a good idea what direction i am going in but i want to see where my interests take me in the long run.

I will need to get at least a 'C' or above in both A-levels and i was told that Physics is almost essential to the course and thus an A-level in that subject should be very beneficial and will make some of the theory easier. The adviser also said that maths is not necessary to get on the course which i thought was strange, i hope to much time will not be wasted on teaching stuff that should already be known before the course. ie calc.

For the people who have already done or are currently in the process of completing a similiar degree i would be interested in knowing how long it took (as one of the posts above makes out 3 years is not enough) and also how long it took for u to find employment in your field once finished.

Thanks.

I took a basic electronics class a while back. I would suggest someone takes physics if they don't know it already. I wish I had known them in January. Trying to remember all the formulas is a must. I had the resistor color code memorized in a few days.